Human Chess Match, WorldCon 06

No need to be rude, Odie. Obviously you don't know the basic rules of chess. This isn't some crazy sometimes used rule, it's often the only hope for a losing side.

I would agree. There was no reason to be rude.

Hell, I was on the damned school chess team* in middle school, and I've never heard of this rule. That's why I was so confused.

I just wish I'd known. I've always treated pawns as throw-away pieces.

*Note: I wasn't very good, and I was more there for the "Oh, shit, a GIRL" factor.

Many many thanks to Sophelia for taking one of the Highgarden pawn spots.

Which means.....

(drumroll please)

ONE SPOT IS LEFT!!!!!!!!!!

*coughs*

*glances at the World Con list of attendees*

*taps foot*

c'mon peeps!!! It'll be fun! (so sayeth the girl who had to be courted before she'd sign on the dotted line).

I'm off to the shops today to attempt to locate some garb. It'll be anachronistic, and quite possibly the wrong culture, but at least I won't be in a t-shirt and skirt.

Many many thanks to Sophelia for taking one of the Highgarden pawn spots.

Which means.....

(drumroll please)

ONE SPOT IS LEFT!!!!!!!!!!

*coughs*

*glances at the World Con list of attendees*

*taps foot*

ZOLLO FTW!!!!

:P

Re: costumes,

Linda has gotten the looney idea of maybe trying a last minute attempt at sewing some things. Anyone know a place with patterns (either free, or available for purchase as downloadable images/PDFs) for Dornish-style (i.e., Middle Eastern style) clothing? *hopes for Lany to pop by*

Oh yeah! Costume!

Probably need one of those.

I would agree. There was no reason to be rude.

Hell, I was on the damned school chess team* in middle school, and I've never heard of this rule. That's why I was so confused.

I just wish I'd known. I've always treated pawns as throw-away pieces.

*Note: I wasn't very good, and I was more there for the "Oh, shit, a GIRL" factor.

Really didn't mean it as rude, Odie. But you have to admit it was kind of absurd. It's like someone saying they know the rules of baseball but have never heard of a homerun. Or Football and never heard of a field goal. I'm not being mean spiritied, I'm literally giggling.

I often modify regular costume patterns slightly. Not sure what kind of sewing/fabric stores you have available, but I'd bet they have "Bibical" type costume patterns, and these are very close. Cariadoc's Miscellany has a good description of period mideastern clothing. Not sure if the picures are included in the on-line part...I can try and scan them in tonight if not. (and there are some great recipes in there too )

I'm not sure if the ones from the Renstore are downloadable, but they give some good ideas as to the type of costumes.

These are little more than modified long tunics and not hard at all to make.

I'll see if I can post some tunic directions when I get home.

Really didn't mean it as rude, Odie. But you have to admit it was kind of absurd. It's like someone saying they know the rules of baseball but have never heard of a homerun. Or Football and never heard of a field goal. I'm not being mean spiritied, I'm literally giggling.

Sorry, I was unclear, I wasn't refering to you. :)

I know it's comical.

Paddy: RT?!?!?!?! Yay or nay???

(you're down as him again, so read the first page :P )

Yeah, I totally wanna be RANDYLL FUCKIN TARLY, but I might find it very tight getting the costume at this point. Ah well, we'll manage :D

WWRTD?

Yeah, I totally wanna be RANDYLL FUCKIN TARLY, but I might find it very tight getting the costume at this point. Ah well, we'll manage :D

WWRTD?

RT would play the match naked, and make the other pieces fully aware how short their swords are in comparison. Why? Because he fucking can.

Thank you Pads!!!! :)

Hey Paddy -- what was your costume gonna be for Left or Right? Cos now Mr. X needs to outfit himself.

You should PM Ser Sean, he bought a costume that matches his (because he's the other one). Mr. X should use that one :)

How hardcore are you guys dressing up btw? Just wondering since a few people posted links...

I'm up for it Mya if there is still a spot open.

Also is the party on Saturday night a dress up event? Might as well have beer stains on my outfit during the match... ; )

-Cuellar

How hardcore are you guys dressing up btw? Just wondering since a few people posted links...

I'm up for it Mya if there is still a spot open.

Also is the party on Saturday night a dress up event? Might as well have beer stains on my outfit during the match... ; )

-Cuellar

PM Mya and volunteer, in case she doesn't check or is unable to check here. She gets messages about board messages at least. Folks are dressing up...randomly. Some are in tunics, some are in robes, some are in harem girl outfits. :)

Saturday, people tend to dress up and have dressed up in the past, but it's not required. Wear what's comfortable.

Archived