Human Chess Match, WorldCon 06

Nodoby's answered THE most important question. Who has the dress ready for when Pod the pawn traverses the board and is made into a queen???? :P

Wait a minute, I thought this was human chess, not checkers.

I don't think a 90 year old woman is up for leapfrog anytime soon... :P

Odie, here is a site with basic chess rules.

I am well aware of basic chess rules, thanks. Strangely enough, in all the games I've ever played, I've never heard of this rule. I haven't played for years, but I know the rules and how all the pieces behave. However, I've never played with this rule, so I was quite unaware of it. I suppose I'll have to brush up on my knowledge because I know I'll need it just to stand around and get told where to go.

Thanks for not putting the "ess" in prince Rhelle. :P

Weird, I read it WITH the ess in there...even if it wasn't there. :P

Get ready for GLITTER Pod! (and I don't mean the Mariah Carey movie, although I think you would enjoy that more than what I have in store for you!) :P

And thanks to Mr. X, who may be suckered into being a piece as well. :)

Yeah, well....it's done. I'll be a piece too. Also, I'm totally down with helping to set up/break down before and after the match. I'm not in the skin-inking party, so I'll be available for post-match rearranging of the room.

Of course, I'm only doing this in the hopes of witnessing the wonder that is Glitter Pod. ;)

Mya, it was nothing. Well, for me it was nothing, all I had to do was get beat up a bit in front of a camera. ;)

If anybody wielding weapons in the match wants some tips, I can email them the guide Bran put together, and run through one or two things before the match if necessary. I'm not the expert, but I've had some basics drummed into me. :)

Ok, great news guys:

ONLY TWO HIGHGARDEN PAWNS LEFT!!

Thanks to Mr. X and Linda, who both agreed to take on roles. :)

Thanks to Mr. X.'s great height, he can take over as Left or Right, leaving Paddy to take Randyl Tarly over again if he wants! (You know you do, Pads. :P )

With only 8 days left, we should be able to find 2 willing victims volunteers for the Highgarden spots. :)

Thanks again to those that have volunteered!!!

Quick question: changing. We're one of the few not staying at the convention hotels, and while the Clarion is only a couple hundred meters further down the road than those, I at least wouldn't mind not having to walk those couple hundred meters in costume if I can help it. ;)

Will anyone at the Marriot or Hilton be able to lend a bathroom for such things prior to the chess match? Or the suite, I suppose -- we have it booked Friday, yeah? Maybe that'd be a great place for everyone to gather beforehand, get costumes, armbands(?) and instructions and other such things in order.

(Note I haven't read the whole exhaustive thread just yet, so if a gathering place has already been figured, lemme know. :)

Will anyone at the Marriot or Hilton be able to lend a bathroom for such things prior to the chess match? Or the suite, I suppose -- we have it booked Friday, yeah? Maybe that'd be a great place for everyone to gather beforehand, get costumes, armbands(?) and instructions and other such things in order.

The suite can be used for this. However, its quite a ways away from where the room is where the chess game will be played. We are checking to see if there is someplace closer inside the convention center.

BH

it would be good if we can get a practise session in with the spears . biggrin.gif

as far as I can thell, ther will be some time before hand with the Guide and Mormont... this should be(hopefully) enough to ge teveryone up to scrathc - if you want an advance copy oif the guide PM Myself of Mormie. :)

Unless I find something suitable today at a couple of the costume stores in Gothenburg, I think the Red Viper shall probably be arrayed in something like this. A bit more of Oberyn-at-his-leisure rather than ready to kill the Mountain, but to do the latter properly I'd have really liked to put together a scale cuirass. ;)

Re: spears, anyone found any handy spears that don't rub up against the con's (and hotels) policies? Even if I find one out here, I doubt it'll fit my luggage. ;)

I am well aware of basic chess rules, thanks. Strangely enough, in all the games I've ever played, I've never heard of this rule. I haven't played for years, but I know the rules and how all the pieces behave. However, I've never played with this rule, so I was quite unaware of it. I suppose I'll have to brush up on my knowledge because I know I'll need it just to stand around and get told where to go.

No need to be rude, Odie. Obviously you don't know the basic rules of chess. This isn't some crazy sometimes used rule, it's often the only hope for a losing side.

Archived