Why the Hooded Man is Almost Certainly Harwin.

Northernmonkey

Read the dialogue from Storm and Dance featuring Harwin and consider the vibe you get from character. Then read the Hooded Man passage again. I really can't believe those are the same characters. If there was an SSM denying that the Hooded Man was the ghost of Theon's former self and if you told me the Hooded Man was someone like the Blackfish or Robett--a highborn with haughty speech I'd be with you.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that the hooded man is Harwin. I'm going to make a few assumptions here but they're logical ones.

1. LS must know about the wedding between Ramsay and Arya. It's common knowledge and the BWB seem to know a lot about what's going on.

2. When she finds out about it the first thing she would do is send someone to Winterfell.

3. The person she would choose for this mission is Harwin. He knows Winterfell very well, and he probably knows how to sneak in and to sneak around undetected. And obviously he knows what Arya looks like.

4. Therefore we can assume that Harwin is either in Winterfell or on his way to Winterfell.

So if Harwin is in Winterfell (as looks likely) then he is obviously the hooded man. I'm surprised that so many people seem to think otherwise.

I agree with you OP, imo Harwin is the most logical candidate. Even if at some point the BwB discovered that the girl with Steelshanks was NOT Arya Stark, it was most likely after Harwin would have been sent on his mission. First of all, I'm not certain that Arya was ever conclusively identified or located after the Inn at the Crossroads. Looking at the timeline, that was about the same time as the Merrett Frey hanging, at which time we know the BwB was still looking for Arya, with or without Sandor Clegane. These two events occurred weeks after fArya and Steelshanks departed KL. For the sake of argument, the BwB could certainly be unclear whether the Arya who arrived at Moat Cailin two months later wasn't after all the one who had been last seen in the Riverlands with Sandor Clegane. She did disappear after all.

As for anything Brienne could have told Lady Stoneheart, her trial occurred months later, roughly around the same time as the Ramsay/fArya wedding. Harwin would have been gone for months by that time. In fact, Harwin was last mentioned being with the BwB for certain, when Catelyn was pulled dead from the Green Fork. He begged Thoros to revive her, Thoros refused and Beric did it instead. There are two more occasions we see the BwB and on neither is Harwin mentioned by name. It's perfectly plausible he was sent out looking for Arya shortly after the LS resurrection and that he followed the (false) trail north, ending up at Winterfell with the Bolton group. This would actually mirror Brienne following the false trail of the Hound around the Riverlands and seems pretty reasonable to me.

On the issue of recognition-- I agree with those who point out that Harwin has changed. Also, remember it's been years since Theon last saw him, and remember that Theon actually has small regard for people he views as inferior and may not immediately think of someone that he saw as servant, whom he last saw a few years ago and most likely considers dead along with all the rest of the WF men who went to KL with Lord Eddard. Further, I don't think we have to assume that he doesn't recognize the Hooded Man. He has been thinking of Winterfell's ghosts in this chapter for one thing. It might not be a surprise to Theon's fevered brain if he encountered one of them in his waking moments as he does in his dreams.

Finally, regarding his speech, all the HM says is:

Theon Turncloak. Theon Kinslayer [...] False is all you were. How is it you still breathe? [...] I leave you to him, then.

Having read through all of Harwin's dialogue with Arya in Storm, I don't find any overwhelming speech pattern that would rule him out based upon those few words spoken to Theon. In fact I've seen it suggested that there is a tiny hint to the reader there, that Harwin may have been aware of Theon's relationship with the miller's wife. Not sure I buy that, but we can probably say for sure that Harwin, more than any of the other HM candidates, would see Theon as the ultimate betrayer of the family that raised him as one of his own.

I agree with you OP, imo Harwin is the most logical candidate. Even if at some point the BwB discovered that the girl with Steelshanks was NOT Arya Stark, it was most likely after Harwin would have been sent on his mission. First of all, I'm not certain that Arya was ever conclusively identified or located after the Inn at the Crossroads. Looking at the timeline, that was about the same time as the Merrett Frey hanging, at which time we know the BwB was still looking for Arya, with or without Sandor Clegane. These two events occurred weeks after fArya and Steelshanks departed KL. For the sake of argument, the BwB could certainly be unclear whether the Arya who arrived at Moat Cailin two months later wasn't after all the one who had been last seen in the Riverlands with Sandor Clegane. She did disappear after all.

As for anything Brienne could have told Lady Stoneheart, her trial occurred months later, roughly around the same time as the Ramsay/fArya wedding. Harwin would have been gone for months by that time. In fact, Harwin was last mentioned being with the BwB for certain, when Catelyn was pulled dead from the Green Fork. He begged Thoros to revive her, Thoros refused and Beric did it instead. There are two more occasions we see the BwB and on neither is Harwin mentioned by name. It's perfectly plausible he was sent out looking for Arya shortly after the LS resurrection and that he followed the (false) trail north, ending up at Winterfell with the Bolton group. This would actually mirror Brienne following the false trail of the Hound around the Riverlands and seems pretty reasonable to me.

On the issue of recognition-- I agree with those who point out that Harwin has changed. Also, remember it's been years since Theon last saw him, and remember that Theon actually has small regard for people he views as inferior and may not immediately think of someone that he saw as servant, whom he last saw a few years ago and most likely considers dead along with all the rest of the WF men who went to KL with Lord Eddard. Further, I don't think we have to assume that he doesn't recognize the Hooded Man. He has been thinking of Winterfell's ghosts in this chapter for one thing. It might not be a surprise to Theon's fevered brain if he encountered one of them in his waking moments as he does in his dreams.

Finally, regarding his speech, all the HM says is:

Theon Turncloak. Theon Kinslayer [...] False is all you were. How is it you still breathe? [...] I leave you to him, then.

Having read through all of Harwin's dialogue with Arya in Storm, I don't find any overwhelming speech pattern that would rule him out based upon those few words spoken to Theon. In fact I've seen it suggested that there is a tiny hint to the reader there, that Harwin may have been aware of Theon's relationship with the miller's wife. Not sure I buy that, but we can probably say for sure that Harwin, more than any of the other HM candidates, would see Theon as the ultimate betrayer of the family that raised him as one of his own.

Does Theon actually state when he see's him that he doesn't recognise the HM? I'm pretty sure he doesn't say categorically one way or the other, he also seems awfully comfortable showing his hand to the man when he is generally shy around others, which suggests familiarity.

False is all you were suggests that he knew Theon in the past. How is it you still breathe shows that he has been unaware of what has happened to Theon and assumed him dead. Both these fit with Harwin who would knew what happened to Winterfell but didn't know what had happened to Theon. He also knew Theon well enough in the past being from Winterfell and seeing as how the people of Winterfell were killed because of Theon you could see why he'd be angry with him enough to call him Turncloak and Kinsalyer.

Seeing as everyone in the castle had been there for days and days by this point and so they all would have been aware of Theon's presence it means the person definitely came from outside WInterfell and personally the only other viable option I have is Robett or Galbert Glover.

Could you provide the quote please?

"They were all dead now. Jory, old Ser Rodrik, Lord Eddard, Harwin and Hullen, Cayn and Desmond and Fat Tom, Alyn with his dreams of knighthood, Mikken who had given him his first real sword. Even Old Nan, like as not." That was in "Theon" chapter just before Jeyne's rescue.

"They were all dead now. Jory, old Ser Rodrik, Lord Eddard, Harwin and Hullen, Cayn and Desmond and Fat Tom, Alyn with his dreams of knighthood, Mikken who had given him his first real sword. Even Old Nan, like as not." That was in "Theon" chapter just before Jeyne's rescue.

Well that pretty much shuts Harwin down.

Euh, Harwin is alive and with the Brotherhood without Banners.

Actually Theon thinking of Harwin as dead doesn't rule him out at all. First of all there is the possibility that he doesn't recognize him, as I said above either because Harwin has changed (and the man is wearing a hood after all) or because he doesn't expect to see him (because he thinks he's dead.) Secondly, the name of the chapter is A Ghost in Winterfell. Who better to be a Ghost than a dead man?

I think Harwin is a likely candidate, and I think you all are putting too much stock into Theon being a reliable source of information. The fact is, LS has a motive to send someone to WF to check out "Arya", LS has access to Harwin, Harwin knows WF and Arya. It's a possibility.

Also to the people saying LS knows "Arya" is a fake. Why would she risk it? She's spent all her time since she rose trying to kill Freys and find her kids and now news that her daughter is to be married off to the son of the man who murdered her son shows up and she doesn't even spare one man to just confirm it?

How do we know that?

There is an assumption (which I follow actually) that the Orphan Inn (the Inn of the Crossraods) and the orphans kept there were the product of LS and the BwB searching for Arya

It would certainly make sense that Harwin would be sent to take a gander at fArya, but Theon doesn't recognize him as such in his POV. On the other hand, that chapter took place when Theon still considered himself Reek, so internally he might just view Harwin (if it is him) as someone Reek wouldn't know even if the Theon inside him does. That might explain not giving the HM a name in his POV yet still being somewhat familiar with him.

I'm ranking Harwin as the second most likely identity of the FM. Here's my list.

The Hooded man is...

1. An imagined representation of a younger Theon before the maiming, reminding the current Reek of what he used to be and thus the "ghost of WInterfell."

2. Harwin, sent by Lady Stoneheart to infiltrate WF and ascertain the idenitity of Ramsay Bolton's blushing new bride.

3. A physical manifestation of the stranger, who essentially asks Reek if he still wants to live. There's still something of Theon left in him, so he refuses, and the Stranger walks to the great hall to await the deaths of the murdered men of WInterfell.

Yeah, I've always basically been a subscriber to your #1 here (affectionately known, at least to me, as the "Theon Durden" theory :D) I also believe the changing Reek/Theon-related chapter names in ADWD strongly points toward "Theon Durden" ;)

Yes, as was said above, great find! Thanks!

I don't think the Hooded Man was Harwin, but perhaps an allegorical figure for death as in the HoBW there is a deity known as the Hooded Wayfarer. It could Theon telling death why he is still alive: the gods are not done with him.

I think the HM was a "ghost" for Theon. He was assuming that the man is long dead. He said Winterfell was full of ghosts and he created many of them. I think Septon Chayle is the Hooded Man, the "ghost" Theon created.

Archived