Feminism - Yes all women or chainmail bikini?

Lyanna Stark

Hmm, tricky problem. I guess if you start out with saying this year you were unable to find a man to join the teachers since the previous left and you have not been able to find replacements, then at least you've covered somewhat the "but is it just you craxy womenz talking" angle somewhat? I suppose also trying to dig out more example of where male patients didn't get correct treatment and place them early on will make some students realise this occasionally happens to male patients as well?

I also often find that speaking in a very dispassionate voice and using very matter of fact and precise language can help enforce that I am not arguing from some sort of weird state of hysteria (obviously only women need to cover our asses twice like this, but you know :P ). Actually this is prolly old news and you've already thought of it all, so good luck!! I hope they listen to you anyway. :) I am sure you are a good and engaging teacher.

Yeah, I mean we'll still get to continue the teaching whether or not we've got any men in the group. I guess what didnät come across in my question is that we've been considering trying to have one of the men who is a part of the group lecture but who is no where near as active. Which I'm having a hard time stomaching because there are at the same time a dozen women who have been a part of our work longer and who have participated more than the men.

Yes! We try to use a lot of humor and just let the students talk it out amongst themselves instead of preach to them. For the lecture we start of with presenting the under/misdiagnosis of male depression and the high suicide rate among men as well.

Side note: done this for a couple of years now and usually in the group discussions most start of with saying how they think sweden's equal and no discrimination or bias takes place. After half an hour or so when personal experiences are added to the discussion (almost every female med-student has the equivalent of "what kind of nurse do you want to be?" story), a lot of brows knit and there's this moment of: Wait... We all get this?

Oh God yes, you are totally right. Normally when I played WoW I just tried to block out that sort of...rational thought? I think TP and I had a discussion a long time ago that we sort of learnt to block out the misogyny and the homophobia. I guess the sexist characteristics and a lot of that stuff got lumped into the same "just ignore" bit of my psyche. :(

Now when I drag up old stuff I find all sorts of things. One I actually remember reacting to back in the day was how they went a bit nutters with Alexstrasza's bikini outfit considering how the early model looked. Same with Sylvanas. Apparently, fighting with your midrif bared equals success.

Regarding Tera, my SO played it for about a day or two and was pretty put off by the extreme chain mail bikini outfits. For those not familiar with this game, here is an example.

To be fair, I once watched my brother play WoW with a male night elf and he came across some leggings that were essentially leather underwear, yet provided more protection than his former chain mail pants. Even then it seemed hilarious.

On the title: both! As exemplified by Gail Simone's current use of Red Sonja (as far as I can tell from the conversation surrounding it).

Although that is very specific, which is probably the way more traditionally problematic things can be re-examined.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/4189455?utm_hp_ref=conversations-on-campus

"Oxford University Rugby Club Sends Repulsive 'Free Pussy', Drink Spiking, Email"

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/4181729?utm_hp_ref=uk-universities-education

"Durham University Rugby Club Under Fire For 'It's Only Rape If' Drinking Game"

Honestly this shit is RIFE in UK universities.

To be fair, I once watched my brother play WoW with a male night elf and he came across some leggings that were essentially leather underwear, yet provided more protection than his former chain mail pants. Even then it seemed hilarious.

yeah i don't actually get annoyed with 'chainmail bikinis' if all the characters look ridiculous i mean look how lame and buff all the male WoW characters look as well.

Oh sure, there was some ridiculous pieces of armour that looked naff on both male and female characters. When it came to the "real" armour sets, WoW wasn't that bad as most of it was pretty fine actually, although occasionally you'll get stuff like this (compare) where the armour sets are actually more revealing for female characters for no apparent reason.

OMG my SO just loaded up the South Park WoW episode! So wrong, yet so right. "How do you kill that which has no life?" :lol:

"Oxford University Rugby Club Sends Repulsive 'Free Pussy', Drink Spiking, Email"

:ack:

Holy shit, that's messed up.

The biggest problem with WoW was the sexism from the players in chat. As if i wasnt already riled enough in a battleground, had to often endure virulent sexism on top of my anger at killing as many enemies as possible. :P

True. But this made me go back to Wipe Club's Onyxia wipe, the legend. (Warning, totally NSFW.)

:stillsick: Very messed up indeed.

I've managed to avoid coming across that sort of stuff at my uni thankfully (it's no doubt a help that the Student's Union is lead by a woman) but ugh, Jesus.

My uni days are far in the past now, but I don't recall it being anywhere near as bad back then. Mind, I didn't have much to do with the sports fed, but the whole of Brighton has gotten way more laddish over the past 2 decades so maybe it's an actual cultural shift as well? Ugh.

My uni days are far in the past now, but I don't recall it being anywhere near as bad back then. Mind, I didn't have much to do with the sports fed, but the whole of Brighton has gotten way more laddish over the past 2 decades so maybe it's an actual cultural shift as well? Ugh.

I think it is, to be honest. Thankfully I don't come across too many awful people on my course, Ancient History and Archaeology students are pretty cool :P But on nights out in Cardiff I definitely come across these sorts of people. :(

:stillsick: Very messed up indeed.

I've managed to avoid coming across that sort of stuff at my uni thankfully (it's no doubt a help that the Student's Union is lead by a woman) but ugh, Jesus.

To be fair, I think Cardiff Uni is pretty good, but that thing about the date rape presentation really fucking riled me up, at least it wasn't shoved under the carpet and it was addressed and severely frowned upon.

I sort of wanted to make the point that ''lad culture'' in the UK is really growing, certainly in Uni circles, so am perplexed at Snark's ''I'm from the UK and this doesn't happen''

I sort of wanted to make the point that ''lad culture'' in the UK is really growing, certainly in Uni circles, so am perplexed at Snark's ''I'm from the UK and this doesn't happen''

I just read it as 'I'm a guy and I don't care about that so don't think to notice or even ask women I know if it happens to them.

I just read it as 'I'm a guy and I don't care about that so don't think to notice or even ask women I know if it happens to them.

It was like ''I and the people I associate with don't really do this so obviously it doesn't happen''

:stillsick:

AS a much older male i have to say that the lout culture described in this thread is much older than most of the people posting. In the late 70's when I was at university much the same thing was going on, but then, with feminism relatively new, it was a lot more accepted as being the norm. Being a shy young lad, I never did participate in any of this stuff, and did not wish that I could either. It just was not my preference. Maybe a year or so later, I did realize that this was not appropriate behaviour for a man and did speak up against in my small shy way and for the most part was met with a thundering silence by a lot of women. Keep up the fight to eradicate it.

The biggest problem with WoW was the sexism from the players in chat. As if i wasnt already riled enough in a battleground, had to often endure virulent sexism on top of my anger at killing as many enemies as possible. :P

I wonder if they could take a note from League of Legends and tamp down on it. I'd recommend reading the whole Wired article, but here are some excerpts from it:

Boasting more than 67 million active players each month, the battle-arena gameLeague of Legends is perhaps the most popular videogame in the world. But two years ago its publisher, Riot Games, noticed that a significant number of players had quit the game and cited noxious behavior as the reason. In response, the company assembled a “player behavior team,” bringing together staff members with PhDs in psychology, cognitive science, and neuroscience to study the issue of harassment by building and analyzing behavioral profiles for tens of millions of users.

. . . .

Some of the reforms Riot came up with were small but remarkably effective. Originally, for example, it was a default in the game that opposing teams could chat with each other during play, but this often spiraled into abusive taunting. So in one of its earliest experiments, Riot turned off that chat function but allowed players to turn it on if they wanted. The impact was immediate. A week before the change, players reported that more than 80 percent of chat between opponents was negative. But a week after switching the default, negative chat had decreased by more than 30 percent while positive chat increased nearly 35 percent. The takeaway? Creating a simple hurdle to abusive behavior makes it much less prevalent.

The team also found that it’s important to enforce the rules in ways that people understand. When Riot’s team started its research, it noticed that the recidivism rate was disturbingly high; in fact, based on number of reports per day, some banned players were actually getting worse after their bans than they were before. At the time, players were informed of their suspension via emails that didn’t explain why the punishment had been meted out. So Riot decided to try a new system that specifically cited the offense. This led to a very different result: Now when banned players returned to the game, their bad behavior dropped measurably.

. . . .

In another initiative by Riot’s player- behavior team, League of Legends launched a disciplinary system called the Tribunal, in which a jury of fellow players votes on reported instances of bad behavior. Empowered to issue everything from email warnings to longer-term bans, users have cast tens of millions of votes about the behavior of fellow players. When Riot asked its staff to audit the verdicts, it found that the staff unanimously agreed with users in nearly 80 percent of cases. And this system is not just punishing players; it’s rehabilitating them, elevating more than 280,000 censured gamers to good standing. Riot regularly receives apologies from players who have been through the Tribunal system, saying they hadn’t understood how offensive their behavior was until it was pointed out to them. Others have actually asked to be placed in a Restricted Chat Mode, which limits the number of messages they can send in games—forcing a choice to communicate with their teammates instead of harassing others.

Archived