Arya in TWOW Arya is in BIG trouble... (Mercy chapter spoilers)

Mdoggy

My biggest issue with this chapter was how sloppy the murder was. Bringing Raff back to her room and now a body and blood that can be traced back to her. Her quest for vengeance made her sloppy since she wanted to make sure Raff knew who she was before she killed him. She will suffer consequences for that.

My biggest issue with this chapter was how sloppy the murder was. Bringing Raff back to her room and now a body and blood that can be traced back to her. Her quest for vengeance made her sloppy since she wanted to make sure Raff knew who she was before she killed him. She will suffer consequences for that.

I thought she planned it well. The eels will get rid of Raff's body and when Mercy vanishes (Arya returns to HoBW) all they will find is a room full of blood and assume she's been killed. Who would suspect kind hearted, sweet Mercy of a hit and run?

I thought she planned it well. The eels will get rid of Raff's body and when Mercy vanishes (Arya returns to HoBW) all they will find is a room full of blood and assume she's been killed. Who would suspect kind hearted, sweet Mercy of a hit and run?

agreed :)

I'm curious, is your issue with the mummers knowing that Mercy was involved, or the FM? Because I can see the concern about the FM finding out, but with the exception of one little detail, I agree with ShaggyPup... it was fairly well executed, I thought.

And this would be the detail. Depends on when they go to her room. Don't forget, she did have to go say her lines in the play that was going on at the time. If someone were to go looking for her in her room (because she was due to be on stage soon) and just missed her as she left, they would see her on stage later and put two and two together. However, it really doesn't matter anyway, simply because Arya confirms during the chapter that Mercy will vanish after the play.

By the way, about Izembaro.... I know the FM sent Arya to him for training, but does he actually know that she's associated with them? I was never quite sure about that part. If he does know, that could certainly be a concern as well.

:agree: The authorities in Braavos are not going to think that Mercy killed Raff but that Raff killed Mercy, dumped the body in the canal and disappeared. The messier the her room looks the better.

she hid needle from the FM and from what we know they never found out. She may be able to hide this as well. I also think they know who sent her to the FM, jaqen h'ghar. I think since he "vouched" for her, they would be just as mad at him as they would be at her.

Izembaro is the pox ravaged priest the Kindly Man was speaking to and who questioned and slapped No One (TULG)...No One was sent Izembaro for her first apprenticeship...the apprenticeship is twofold first to become a competent mummer and second to learn to observe and identify...passing her apprenticeship is the identification of Izembaro as the pox ravaged priest

The church of B&W already know No One has failed her apprenticeship.with the blatant return of Arya...she will either be sent on her way immediately (exiled) or Izembaro will do with her what he thinks appropriate.... it is out of the Kindly Man's hands...

The way i interpreted Arya's chapters in AFfC and ADwD Brusco knows where Arya came from.This doesn't mean his an FM as well but i think it's a sort of proof that the guild has outside associates as well.Therefore Izembaro may know what Arya is without being a fellow assassin.

As for those claiming the murder was perfect and the authorities will thing that it happened the opposite(Raff killing Arya) well excuse me but i don't see how this will work out.Arya had been seen leaving the theater with Raff.She reappears to play her role and she'll probably stay for some more hours since some work needs to be done after the show.In the meantime Raff is nowhere to be seen and the other guards could well start wondering what happened to him.The days will pass and Raff won't be appearing and Mercy would have vanished too.Even Arya herself thought that the Sealords will be in trouble with what has happened.They may not think her as the killer cause she was just a girl but they could well thing she had something to do with the disappearance of Raff

I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted to this topic. :cheers: I have really enjoyed reading the posts. :read: There is definitely at least two very different schools of thought as to what this chapter means to Arya's story. :idea: While I may fall into one camp, I believe that both camps have merit based on what has been written. :thumbsup: Its truly a testament to GRRM's writing that so vastly different conclusions can be validly drawn from the same chapter. :bowdown: It just makes waiting for the publication of Winds of Winter that much more unbearable. :bang:

Arya/Mercy has many potentional excuses she can give about Raff for 1. Arya can ask where Raff is since she hasn't seen Raff in a while? 2. Arya living in an area of Braavos where foreign ships and crews dock in Braavos could emply that after leaving Raff he could of met up with strangers or 3. Raff could of been challenged to a duel and lost since Braavos lock sword fighters are known for challenging strangers too duels.

Arya/Mercy has many potentional excuses she can give about Raff for 1. Arya can ask where Raff is since she hasn't seen Raff in a while? 2. Arya living in an area of Braavos where foreign ships and crews dock in Braavos could emply that after leaving Raff he could of met up with strangers or 3. Raff could of been challenged to a duel and lost since Braavos lock sword fighters are known for challenging strangers too duels.

1. Why would a mummers apprentice inquire about a Westrosi gurdsman? It would increase suspicions rather than alleviate them.

2. What does that have to do with anything?

3. You are really grasping at straws now.

The last time Arya appeared at the expense of No One and killed someone, she was rewarded with accelerated training. At the time it seemed like punishment (they blinded her!) but in retrospect the opposite is pretty obviously true--they were always going to blind her, they got to it sooner because they saw she was ready.

I'm not sure this goes any differently. If she can kill a knight and get away with it, that might be a sign that it's time to bump her up a level again because she's clearly getting quite good at this killing thing

1. Why would a mummers apprentice inquire about a Westrosi gurdsman? It would increase suspicions rather than alleviate them.

2. What does that have to do with anything?

3. You are really grasping at straws now.

That is not the point I just showed some examples that Arya could use if she was ever questioned about Raff. Let me remind you that Arya's first lessons when she arrived at HoBW was to know the difference between a Lie & Truth and how too tell a lie and make it sound and look like the truth. How Arya deals with any question would be looked upon as part of her training with FM and how Arya will sell the cover story too local the authorities .

That is not the point I just showed some examples that Arya could use if she was ever questioned about Raff. Let me remind you that Arya's first lessons when she arrived at HoBW was to know the difference between a Lie & Truth and how too tell a lie and make it sound and look like the truth. How Arya deals with any question would be looked upon as part of her training with FM and how Arya will sell the cover story too local the authorities .

I refer you to post # 108 of this thread....

The last time Arya appeared at the expense of No One and killed someone, she was rewarded with accelerated training. At the time it seemed like punishment (they blinded her!) but in retrospect the opposite is pretty obviously true--they were always going to blind her, they got to it sooner because they saw she was ready.

I'm not sure this goes any differently. If she can kill a knight and get away with it, that might be a sign that it's time to bump her up a level again because she's clearly getting quite good at this killing thing

I agree.

Fan theories have taken on a certain consensus that to me seems based more in fans talking to each other than in the books when it comes to Arya. Where did the notion that Arya is supposed to actually forget who she is come from? It is not in the books. She is simply not supposed to REVEAL who she is. Nothing about actually forgetting.

The FM training is all about really seeing, just as Syrio Forell taught her from the very beginning. Sometimes people say one thing but mean another. She was never punished for any kill she made.

The FM will promote her for Raff. She is not in trouble, yet.

I believe that arya will not be in any trouble I don't think anyone will find out about her recent kill .another poster thinks the iron bank will want to send a message I wouldn't be surprised if all the parties sent to Bravos will all end up dead .Massey is also in town hiring sellswords for Stannis .looking forward to winds of winter

Archived