Legend of Korra Season 3

Sci-2

Good to hear it's coming soon. Thinking about the potential new airbenders, considering how they show is very much about harmony/balance it makes sense that new airbenders may be appearing. Maybe not new earth/fire/water benders though as airbenders are essentially extinct. By creating more balance is restored -even if it causes trouble politically.

Even if this series has it's too childish and funny moments, it is one of the best things that ever have been produced.

God I love that series.

So much meaning and the characters are extremely well done.

Trailer # 2, focuses on the first few eps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1eWFelQzd0

This is such a gorgeous looking series.

Stoked. I agree the animation is a thing of beauty and if these clips are anything to go by the camera-work for the fights has become a lot more interesting too. I also have to concede I'm a bit "squee" about the fact Zuko is turning up. I hope his life hasn't been a long list of miseries though! I'd also be curious to see if the animosity between him and Katarra remained throughout their lives. Maybe it got worse once Aang died.

Anyone actually pissed because of some things that got cleared up now? Like Zuko's mother or that so many sky bisons/lemurs are still alive? Or the lion turtle thing .. didn't it destroy the thing that the characters so far told us where bending came from? Badgermoles teaching it humans and dragons, the moon and the sky bisons?

Anyone actually pissed because of some things that got cleared up now? Like Zuko's mother or that so many sky bisons/lemurs are still alive? Or the lion turtle thing .. didn't it destroy the thing that the characters so far told us where bending came from? Badgermoles teaching it humans and dragons, the moon and the sky bisons?

I didn't mind Zuko's mother (if you're talking about the graphic novel that settled it?). I'd forgotten about the contradiction with the lion turtle and the badgermoles etc. That is a bit of a shame - the lazy fix is to say that the badgermoles etc taught the humans how to use these abilities better.

Have they explained why there's now lots of sky bison and lemurs? I must have missed/forgotten that. Seems tricky without cloning or some careful interspecies breeding.

I didn't mind Zuko's mother (if you're talking about the graphic novel that settled it?). I'd forgotten about the contradiction with the lion turtle and the badgermoles etc. That is a bit of a shame - the lazy fix is to say that the badgermoles etc taught the humans how to use these abilities better.

Have they explained why there's now lots of sky bison and lemurs? I must have missed/forgotten that. Seems tricky without cloning or some careful interspecies breeding.

I think I read somewhere that they hid themselves in one of the air temples. To begin with it was never really said that the Fire Nation killed them all, and if they killed the airbenders, then there are still the non bending regular monks/nuns.

As for the lemurs, so far there are only these new ones, no Momo-look alikes.

But for me the Zuko's mom thing was kinda bad. same with the whole thing of the expanded universe of the comics. I stick to the series haha ;)

I think in the Artbook of the Aang series, there is plenty of info.

I'm a bit late to the party. Just finished watching the first two seasons of LoK for the first time. The first season was pretty good imo, I liked the exploration of the steampunk setting (though I feel like they are pushing the amount of progress a bit to far in the second season) and Aman was a very good villain (A very powerful ending to his story, although it's a shame to see him go). I also liked Korra, she's a very strong and likeable character imo.

That second season though... Painful to watch at times. First they probably had the blandest villain in the entire Avatar universe, he was all kinds of awful (and not the good kind). His children were annoying too and yeah just bland, pretty strange that they managed to screw up something as awesome as twin benders. I think they were trying to provide their version of Azula's tagteam in ATLA, but they just didn't cut it.

Secondly, the show's greatest flaw became fully clear, namely the lack of interesting characters. Korra is good imo, but her team Avatar is just downright annoying at times. That trite love triangle was bad enough in season one, did they really have to keep that? I honestly didn't get why Asami was still there imo, they should have killed her off (probably to extreme, but let's say retired her) after season one.

Bolin is pretty grating to, it's damn hard to write a great comic relief character who still has his/her place in a group like this. One of the greatest accomplishments of the original ATLA was the fact that Soka, their comic relief character still felt important to the group. And then there's his brother, everyone seems to hate Maako and I get why. He's team bland all the way.

Aang and Taft's children just felt wasted. Like there certainly is some potential there (Bei Fong was good in season one and they just mucked up with her character in season two), but the show was trying damn hard to squander that.

Thirdly, and this is the second season's greatest crime, it just shat all over the mythology. That whole stuff about the first Avatar and all just went completely against the mythology as established in ATLA. Now, they could have saved some points if their backstory was more interesting, but it really wasn't. It was just confusing and I really think it was a bad idea to show us the story of the first avatar, it took away from the mystery about the Avatar state.

All in all that second season was a clusterfuck. The only redeeming quality it has is that it changed the status-quo in an interesting way. The trailer for season three looks pretty great.

What I yet have to grasp is, why not do to Vaatu what Vaatu wanted to do to Raava?

I mean, why not minimize the evil part?

Sure balance is nice and fine, but it would be a good thing to do to make the evil part as small as possible.

That is the problem.

ATLA is better in that aspect, as there were not really those moments.

The greatest thing ATLA did was taking away the bending of Ozai instead of killing him. That is a huge thing. Defeat the evil without defeating it..kinda.

Vaatu is just send away..he can come back.

The "energy bending" can come back. Same with the whole subject of it. the bender opposition knows how powerful they are and could easily take over again..

I think that they are in a difficult position, the creators. On the one side their themes are way too adult and complicated for kids, and on the other side they are a bit too childish.

They wanna become real japanese anime with all the cruelty and adult themes, but they probably fear about losing the numbers.

I was afraid they would get cancelled after the ending of Book One. That was some scene. I loved it though.

I thought the point was that by creating an imbalance they had created a load of problems? So having the evil be tiny while the good is dominant is just as much of a problem as the other way around. It still feels as though there should be an anti-avatar though.

And with the spirits now being around...what's so special about that? Weren't the foxes of Wan Shi Tong spirit like anyway, and Wan Shi Tong..kinda was in the human world, as he was in his library and it was accessible to anyone all the time..

And with the spirits now being around...what's so special about that?

It's definitely a retcon. In TLA the spirits were animistic, the spirit world was more an underlying part of the physical world. LOK made the spirits more animalistic and alien, less embodiments of nature or metaphysical concepts than these other strange creatures inhabiting the Avatar universe (for example, if I'd seen dragonfly bunnies without knowing they were spirits, I wouldn't have blinked). Further, the spirit world seems a wholly separate place, more like another dimension than something that has an intrinsic connection to the physical world. I don't think the mythology changes are all that well thought out, as you can see inconsistencies even within a single season (the spirits are stuck in the spirit world until Korra opens up gates at the poles, which is why things are changing in book 3, despite the fact spirits are blatantly moving around before she opens the gates back up). Essentially, I thought the First Avatar episode in itself was really well done... even while it screwed things up elsewhere. I'm not a big fan of the lapses in internal consistency.

That said, there are quite a few things I like about Korra. Most obviously, the show has a high production value; the art design and animation are great. Plus, it's pretty ambitious. You've got the changes in technology, the focus on a bending upper class, the conflict with the equalists where both of those things come into play. We're seeing the Avatar playing her role in regards to corruption in the various nations-- Unalaq and the Water Tribe(s), now maybe the Earth Kingdom. The trailer shows a whole bunch of Airbenders, and I won't be surprised if they try to tackle what this new nation means to the modern world and how it relates to the old Air Nomads. The show isn't always perfect about addressing these issues, but I do like the way they try. Besides that, I think Korra's actually pretty well-characterized, you've got the blend of self-righteousness and insecurity so common to teenagers combined with a young person trying to deal with the responsibility of her position. Most of the rest of the main cast is pretty bland (though I actually think Asami's grown quite a bit beyond her original role), but Beifong and Tenzin are interesting, and it looks like we'll get to see some of them this season.

In retrospect, I think they should have kept Aman as the main villain in the second season (I know they weren't certain that they were going to get a second season, but let's pretend that someone is remaking LoK). That would have required some substantial changes, but in the long run it would have been better imo.

In retrospect, I think they should have kept Aman as the main villain in the second season (I know they weren't certain that they were going to get a second season, but let's pretend that someone is remaking LoK). That would have required some substantial changes, but in the long run it would have been better imo.

Well, aren't there a good amount of theories that they survived?

I mean both were master waterbenders...one at least has their bending still, so maybe Amon saved himself..and Tarrlok.

But it would seem weird..the return.

Still, there definitely will be the thing coming up again. The non benders have a point. They are easy targets for oppression and...for being manipulated by power hungry people.

So maybe a spirit will rally them..or a non bender..anyone.

And who knows what Varrick is up to.

Well, aren't there a good amount of theories that they survived?

I mean both were master waterbenders...one at least has their bending still, so maybe Amon saved himself..and Tarrlok.

I don't know, imo that would really cheapen their storyline. The ending was very powerful. If I were to remake LoK and mash season one and two together, I'd still keep the ending from season one for them (only now that would be the finale of the spirit season).

Btw what every happened to Unalak (if that's the way you spell it, the nega-avatar from season two). Did they ever find his body or adress what was his ultimate fate?

I don't know, imo that would really cheapen their storyline. The ending was very powerful. If I were to remake LoK and mash season one and two together, I'd still keep the ending from season one for them (only now that would be the finale of the spirit season).

Btw what every happened to Unalak (if that's the way you spell it, the nega-avatar from season two). Did they ever find his body or adress what was his ultimate fate?

I think his body just disintegrated and became perhaps kinda one with Vaatu.

Maybe in a style like Koh, the face stealer does. I think if Vaatu might return, he would look like Unalaq.

By the way, sorry, but they are always that creative, but Unalaq did look like the non existent lost brother of Tarrlok and Noatak/Amon, and not like he was blood related to Tonraq, just saying.

I hope if the spirits are now "with us" and more present, that they pick up the shinto theme. Perhaps make it a thing that they could bind spirits to shrines or something.

They should go all Miyazaki with this one.

Archived