[Book Spoilers] EP410 Discussion

Ran

Very interested to see how Brienne's story will play out in s5 now.. Found one Stark, not interested haha. The Hound had a very good point about safety so why bother with Sansa now?

Quiet Isle next season seems very unlikely now!

That was not my reaction at all. This to me was much more in line with the 'above all, a mother' character Cersei wants to pretend/believe she is rather than the 'me' character she actually is in the books.

So to me this previews more protecting-her-cubs frenzy than narcissistic lunatic. The show has always erred on the side of making her more sympathetic, usually by giving Joffrey most of her more abhorrent acts.

Just felt to me there was more then just that going on with her tonight. Her seeming to blackmail Tywin, and her seduction of Jamie. This honestly was the most "me" Cersei I've seen in the entire show's run.

Why do they make Stannis look like such a dick even at his finest hour? In the book his sudden appearance had a divine intervention vibe about it, in the show for a moment it felt like he screwed Jon and Mance deal, which was all but certain. Then he comes to Manceto display his "kneeling complex" and gets the notion that killing Mance isn't the best idea from Jon Snow. Mmkay...

Stannis being a dick is a part of his appeal. And i love that, villainous, Death Star theme and all, he's still a man of compassion and reason.

And wasn't Mance's "deal" pretty much "let us through or we'll kill all of you"? Yeah, some deal. lol

Just felt to me there was more then just that going on with her tonight. Her seeming to blackmail Tywin, and her seduction of Jamie. This honestly was the most "me" Cersei I've seen in the entire show's run.

I'll say this: Cersei was a much more formidable character before we saw inside her head. So maybe the 'all for my children' vibe I got tonight would be the vibe I would get if I didn't know what she was actually thinking.

Stannis being a dick is a part of his appeal. And i love that, villainous, Death Star theme and all, he's still a man of compassion and reason.

And wasn't Mance's "deal" pretty much "let us through or we'll kill all of you"? Yeah, some deal. lol

Ya he has this Darth Vader thing going tonight, but you know what I liked it and thought it worked.

As an episode of a television show I thought this was brilliant-as an adaptation I thought it was terrible. That being said, when do we start to believe that if we take the source material aside, the television show might simply be better and more enjoyable going forward? To an extreme degree the changes being made by D&D illustrate Martin's faults but I'm extremely grateful for the source material that's made this show outstanding for the past four years. I'm excited to see where they take it in the future, although I think it needs to be 100% compartmentalized from here on out. This season did an excellent job of making that point abundantly clear.

The only real disappointment I had in tonight's episode was the ending. The sillyness of some scenes and the unnecessary to completely different changes aside, my only real complaint was the lack of LS. I though the Arya ending scene was really well done, but a LS reveal hanging the Freys would have been more in-tune with the previous finales. Still, an excellent 66 minutes of television.

I agree with what you stated above. I love the books with all my heart, but people need to get better at compartmentalizing the show and the books. If you can't do that, then just stick with the books. I enjoy watching the world I love being brought to life on a television show. Do I wish they had more time and money to show the story and the super details? Of course! But I understand the limitations that the show runners deal with. I really am looking forward to both the fifth season and the 6th book. But I definitely think we will see more and more sub-twists to the overall main plot. I can accept that pretty easily. The books will always be my first love, but why can't we have both?

Couple of questions:

Did anyone else see the super strengthy Valyrian steel sword bend when Sandor grabbed it and stood up?

Wights vs. White Walkers. Maybe I missed something along the way, but I always assumed they were the same thing. Are the wights the fast moving skeletons that killed Jojen, and the White Walkers the slow, blue eyed guys? I've read everything thrice and watched a thousand times, but I can't recall an explanation for the different terms. Info, please.

It was that plus 'if you let us through, I guarantee we won't kill anyone' + 'if we die this side of the wall, more wights'.

Which, if you think about it, is pretty much where it goes.

Couple of questions:

Did anyone else see the super strengthy Valyrian steel sword bend when Sandor grabbed it and stood up?

Better swords do bend. A lot of work goes into making them bendable. Swords that don't bend break pretty quickly.

Wights vs. White Walkers. Maybe I missed something along the way, but I always assumed they were the same thing. Are the wights the fast moving skeletons that killed Jojen, and the White Walkers the slow, blue eyed guys? I've read everything thrice and watched a thousand times, but I can't recall an explanation for the different terms. Info, please.

Yup that is the difference. In the book White Walkers are referred to as the "others"

Couple of questions:

As someone else stated, swords that don't bend somewhat break.

White Walkers are sort of the masters, they control the Wights. The Wights are simply the dead things they control.

Yeah, but what's so cool and villainous about wanting to please your ego by making some guy kneel and getting a well-deserved "FU" as a response?

Part of Stannis's appeal is his strong will, he doesn't have any ego issues or whatnot.

Does anyone think that Leaf's dialogue was dubbed? That was not a child's voice, and it was a British-accented voice; Octavia Alexandru is not British.

And can we get a kid who knows how to throw a fireball for goodness sakes. Kevin spacey just called to say really?

rewatching mel/Jon's scene. Mel even did some step ahead to gave Jon a closer look.

Oh ya, it was quite obvious she was looking straight at him with "interest". They cut back and forth between the two of them like 3 or 4 times that scene and through the fire. Clear as hell.

Archived