[Book Spoilers] EP410 Discussion

Ran

I felt he WAS looking for her. Why else was he asking nearly everyone he met: "Do you know where whores go?" --- Of course he should have known it was through the Ho-Door. (I know that's old, but still funny!)

Why would Tysha be in Essos? Him asking that is pathological, not any sort of conscious search.

I'm probably one of the few who didn't like the Brienne/Hound fight. Nice idea, poor execution. Just my opinion.

It was too long and bloody. Surprised that the Hound's skull wasn't smashed in considering the pounding it took. But then last Ep, Jon's head was smashed into an anvil and no brain damage there

A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth

Well D&D you accomplished the prophetic statement. I sat blissfully happy for weeks thinking there was no way anyway this episode could fail to please. I don't mind plot changes and I would have gotten over everything that bothered me when I saw the face of LS at the end of the episode... and then my joy turned to ashes in my mouth.

How could Jojenpaste be a viable thing now that he's been pulverized by a fireball? Especially when the remains are outside the protected area of the cave?

The point isn't that it's viable within the tv show. The tv show would have neither the room nor the desire to flesh that out, if it were real. So the fact that the tv show has no further use for Jojen IMO means it more likely his books significance as a character is also done, and therefore the idea that he is indeed dead within the books more realistic.

I really hated this episode :/

Even my non-book reader friends and family thought the same.

The arrival of Stannis was lame. Not as heoric as it should have been. I tried to give the writers the benefit of the doubt, but it really should have been last episode.

I'm really surprised they decided to in this season with Arya.

And wtf is with the horrible recaps? They spoon fed way to much: The Coin, Lady's Mel talking about the Wall.

I could write a lot more, but it's pointless.

That Cersei speech was a bit much IMO. If they were trying to get viewers to have sympathy for her, they failed w/ me and my viewing party (all technically Unsullied but definitely spoiled). I didn't know what I was more annoyed with: her ranting or Tywin's willful denial.

Also, if she hasn't figured out that she, Myrcella, and every other Westeros highborn are just commodities to trade at age 40, she needs to stop thinking she was ever a player in GoT. Did she not facilitate/support the same process with Lolly (Bronn) and Sansa (Tyrion)?

Was two bits of Jon foreshadowing. That look Mel gave him through the fire, and that line. Obviously book readers would add that to the R+L=J theory, but unsullied will start believing more and more that Jon is very important...so it works if the theory is true.

Right on the Hound. They could of so so SO easily made it clear he died if he was actually dead. It is a big deal we didn't see him die in case anyone had doubts on who the gravedigger was, and maybe we will get our Robert Strong vs Gravedigger fight.

^ This. Agree with both these points. And it seems like Mel already recognizes something in Jon. I don't know how that's going to play out next season.

Admittedly, I liked it. I thought it was nice to finally see some dead people that didn't have flesh on them reanimated.

That's probably the only part I really liked about that scene. Though maybe they could of put some ice on the bones. Clash of the Titans has a special place in my inner child, as bad as it was it was fun bad.

I wasn't expecting the end all be all with Bloodraven, but one eye would of been nice. Fireballs? Jojen's death felt a bit pointless. There is some build up in the books with it and thought there would be more to it. Not Jojen paste, but something or Martin would of already killed him.

No creepy feel with Bloodraven either, just here is this nice old man tree who looks like Gandalf and a tree.

Exactly. Even if he were the gravedigger and nothing more in the books, I still think D&D would have killed him off for reasons of economy. That they didn't means that he has some important part to play.

I thought it was interesting that the Hound was not remorseful in the slightest in his scene and was clearly just trying to get Arya to kill him. It seemed to me in the books that he was remorseful, over Sansa at least.

He felt sadly suicidal, he just wanted to die and the horror that was his life to be over. How I felt watching him.

Uh, why should they tell anyone what they plan on doing or not doing for future stories? They've already stated that they don't bother with social media, so it's not as if they care what's happening on twitter. Twitter overreacts to everything. Only someone not confident in their work would go around making 'announcements' to try stop people from complaining (and it wouldn't work anyway).

They actually did address the exclusion of her last year. I think at the very least it will come up in some kind of comic con panel and it will be brought up. I am not saying that they will do a tv interview about it, release a statement, or send out a press release but it will probably be brought up sometime before season 5.

Was two bits of Jon foreshadowing. That look Mel gave him through the fire, and that line. Obviously book readers would add that to the R+L=J theory, but unsullied will start believing more and more that Jon is very important...so it works if the theory is true.

Agreed they have set up the Jon story line nicely for next year.

No mention of Tysha (wonderful). No LS (I'm fine with it). I have speculated for a while now that the show is writing characters/stories with "endgame" in mind. If people aren't included, they don't matter. In that same line of thinking...apparently The Hound matters later on (which, I honestly didn't think he would), since they didn't outright kill him in this episode. The changes are interesting (Varys going with Tyrion for instance), but I take them as a means to THE end, and not because D&D are the spawn of Satan.

As a side, I don't know why there's anger over Tysha. Where do you guys expect that story to go? Its not as if he's going to find her again and they're going to live happily ever after (which...in my opinion, would be shit writing and impossible to believe. Why would a woman "get back together" with a man who's father had her raped by his army and then had his son rape her? As if any sane woman in the UNIVERSE (fictional or not) would 'forget' that and live happily ever after with the man. I have an easier time believing Tyrion ends up with Sansa than believing that nonsense). Its best to leave her out of it completely then to go down a dead end road.

Also, I figured they'd end Jamie and Tyrion on a positive note. Sansa/Tyrion's 'positive' relationship should have foreshadowed that. I don't think the show is into having their main "good" characters hate each other.

Big picture the the season as a whole was great, but for some reason, a tiny bit, I feel let down. I'm sad that LS wasn't on the show but even the dialogues were underwhelming. The only scene I enjoyed was Jon and Mel in a starring contest. RUN JON RUN!! SHE WANTS YOUR LONG CLAW!!

Agreed they have set up the Jon story line nicely for next year.

I honestly feel like Jon's TV character was the biggest winner tonight. He has unsullied fans, but I know many didn't care terribly for the wall storyline. It has gotten infinitely more interesting plot wise and you can just see it on Kit that Jon has grown and changed as a character.

Watching his scene with Stannis. It REALLY seems to me Stannis was sizing up and testing Jon.The seeds for Stannis's offer to Jon have definitely been sewn. Going to piss people off when he rejects becoming a full Stark and taking Winterfell.

They actually did address the exclusion of her last year. I think at the very least it will come up in some kind of comic con panel and it will be brought up. I am not saying that they will do a tv interview about it, release a statement, or send out a press release but it will probably be brought up sometime before season 5.

She'll be in next season. Michelle Fairley has been way too coy about it. I think they realize that AFFC/ADWD is about half as exciting and they need to save some stuff for those seasons. Hence, Euron being ridiculously late in killing Balon. They need to spread stuff out to keep the show entertaining. There's only so many Cersei small council meetings people are going to sit through.

Archived