[Book Spoilers] EP410 Discussion

Ran

3. Tysha being omitted is a big deal...although remember that back in Season 1, TV Shae pointed out that no woman who'd almost been raped would immediately hop into bed with someone. In retrospect, it seems like TV Tysha was always supposed to be a whore. In terms of what this means for the books, it suggests that Book Tysha is not going to factor meaningfully in Book Tyrion's endgame, and Book Tyrion's search for Tysha will be fruitless.

This is one of those things that really bothers me. I hate how they change things like this. To show watchers it's not a big deal but I feel that when they do things like this it has big repercussions for the books

I don't use Twitter, so that's good to know. We have speculated on LS for two years now appearing in the finale, and we're about to go three years this offseason.. I'd just like confirmation once and for all, cause I want to move on.

Yeah at this point they just need to tell people if they don't intend to put her in. I was happy they didn't put her in last season because it was too quick after the red wedding to have her pop back in the next episode but an entire season after the fact I can't understand why it wasn't included. I am numb right now and if we don't hear anything and she is not the opening scene of season 5 I will just drop all expectations for the show and be numb cold and heartless just like a faceless man.

My thoughts on the episode:

- I enjoyed Jon's scene with Mance Rayder and with Tormund. But I'm especially glad they added that scene where he cremated Ygritte in the north. Even though I knew Ygritte's death was coming, it still hit me pretty hard. And it was nice to see him grieve her death.

- I think we'll be introduced to Ser Robert Strong next season. I wonder if he'll be recast again though?

- Cersei and Tywin's scene was... Interesting. But I do think it was a great addition. Did not see that coming. And I loved his reaction to her confession.

- Bran finally met the Three-Eyed Crow. I think this was one of the most awaited scenes of the season. My exact thoughts during the scene outside the cave: "I guess this is the day you die, Jojen..." I am a firm believer of the Jojen Paste theory. However, I do think it would have been incredibly controversial and too brutal for television. And as we all learned today, D & D don't want to tarnish some of these characters. Even though the entire series is built upon "gray" characters, they don't seem to want to go in that direction. And Jojen doesn't really play a big role after they arrive in that cave, and if he was in that paste given to Bran, then he doesn't have a role to play in the next book either... So I guess it made sense to kill him. I'm not particularly happy about it, but I'm not the one in charge of this show, so I don't call the shots. Also, I was underwhelmed by Leaf and the Three-Eyed crow.

- The scene with Sandor and Brienne was incredible! I know it never happened, but I loved every second of it. And I do find it believable that Brienne won. Sandor was injured. She kicks ass all the time. No surprise there. And seeing the Hound beg Arya to kill him. That was sad. I loved it, but it made me sad. They had a great run together this season. I'm sad to see it end. But I'm glad of it ended the way it did. Can't wait to see Arya in Bravos next season!

- Now, the final scene. The fate of Tyrion. We all knew where this was going, but none of my unsullied friends did. I'm disappointed that they decided not to include Tysha. And no mention of Moonboy either. Two of my favorite lines won't be said next season. I really wish Tyrion had killed Shae in cold blood. It would have been more appropriate. He's going down a dark path, and it would have been great. But, like I said before, D & D didn't want to tarnish a beloved character. The scene where he killed Tywin was pretty good. I expected more from it. More emotion from Tyrion, maybe. And, the mention of Tysha.

- My biggest complaint: No Lady Stoneheart. It would have been the greatest cliffhanger ever. But that final scene was pretty powerful. If we all hadn't been waiting for LS, I think we would have enjoyed that final scene a bit more. And I guess it'll be more dramatic to have her meet Brienne next season.

Only 10 more months to go!

Book Tyrion isn't really looking for Tysha at all, is he? He's just moping.

I felt he WAS looking for her. Why else was he asking nearly everyone he met: "Do you know where whores go?" --- Of course he should have known it was through the Ho-Door. (I know that's old, but still funny!)

That was definitely my reluctant reaction.

There is no way they would actually go into the jojenpaste specifics, so the fact that the character was tied off left me thinking 'shit, jojenpaste paste might actually be a thing' and this is the only way the show would address that.

How could Jojenpaste be a viable thing now that he's been pulverized by a fireball? Especially when the remains are outside the protected area of the cave?

So, my question is...could Jon Snow really have done it? Could he have really killed (or attempted to) kill Mance in his own tent?

I guess we'll never know XD

I was surprised and a little sad that they altered the escape so dramatically, but then the show was never really for the book readers. We're watching whether we like the show or not, well most of us any way. Overall though I thought it was a pretty good episode, shame no LS but hey-ho :dunno:

Why are you refering to me specifically?

Because I didn't think you or we mattered all that much when the Joke is clearly about Jojen paste. I admit it I laughed when they blew him up, it was so bad. That fireball effect, and come on lear how to thrown. Oh and the children are apparently human. Oh wait twigs in the hair, totally different. They must have lost the makeup budget. Bloodraven looks like a well groomed nice old man, even has both eyes. A thousand eyes and 2.

Except for point 5, I agree with all and I loved point 4 being a possible foreshadow.

Was two bits of Jon foreshadowing. That look Mel gave him through the fire, and that line. Obviously book readers would add that to the R+L=J theory, but unsullied will start believing more and more that Jon is very important...so it works if the theory is true.

Right on the Hound. They could of so so SO easily made it clear he died if he was actually dead. It is a big deal we didn't see him die in case anyone had doubts on who the gravedigger was, and maybe we will get our Robert Strong vs Gravedigger fight.

They also cut Tyrion's comment to Jaime on who Cersei is fucking, despite it being so important to the Jaime-Cersei relationship. Instead of some stupid hug thing and a "bro" moment. I suspect D&D want to take any complexity out of this series.

Yeah at this point they just need to tell people if they don't intend to put her in. I was happy they didn't put her in last season because it was too quick after the red wedding to have her pop back in the next episode but an entire season after the fact I can't understand why it wasn't included. I am numb right now and if we don't hear anything and she is not the opening scene of season 5 I will just drop all expectations for the show and be numb cold and heartless just like a faceless man.

Friend, I'm worried about you. Dont let a fictional show about a fictional book effect you so deeply.

Uh, why should they tell anyone what they plan on doing or not doing for future stories? They've already stated that they don't bother with social media, so it's not as if they care what's happening on twitter. Twitter overreacts to everything. Only someone not confident in their work would go around making 'announcements' to try stop people from complaining (and it wouldn't work anyway).

Was two bits of Jon foreshadowing. That look Mel gave him through the fire, and that line. Obviously book readers would add that to the R+L=J theory, but unsullied will start believing more and more that Jon is very important...so it works if the theory is true.

Right on the Hound. They could of so so SO easily made it clear he died if he was actually dead. It is a big deal we didn't see him die in case anyone had doubts on who the gravedigger was, and maybe we will get our Robert Strong vs Gravedigger fight.

Exactly. Even if he were the gravedigger and nothing more in the books, I still think D&D would have killed him off for reasons of economy. That they didn't means that he has some important part to play.

I thought it was interesting that the Hound was not remorseful in the slightest in his scene and was clearly just trying to get Arya to kill him. It seemed to me in the books that he was remorseful, over Sansa at least.

I felt he WAS looking for her. Why else was he asking nearly everyone he met: "Do you know where whores go?" --- Of course he should have known it was through the Ho-Door. (I know that's old, but still funny!)

I think they might use TV Shae's character to turn it into a "do you know where whores are from?" thing. Kind of merge Tysha and Shae. The obvious answer to both questions is Lys. That always bothers me in the books. Where else would whores go except the city of whores?

Archived