[Book Spoilers] EP410 Discussion

Ran

As an episode of a television show I thought this was brilliant-as an adaptation I thought it was terrible. That being said, when do we start to believe that if we take the source material aside, the television show might simply be better and more enjoyable going forward? To an extreme degree the changes being made by D&D illustrate Martin's faults but I'm extremely grateful for the source material that's made this show outstanding for the past four years. I'm excited to see where they take it in the future, although I think it needs to be 100% compartmentalized from here on out. This season did an excellent job of making that point abundantly clear.

The only real disappointment I had in tonight's episode was the ending. The sillyness of some scenes and the unnecessary to completely different changes aside, my only real complaint was the lack of LS. I though the Arya ending scene was really well done, but a LS reveal hanging the Freys would have been more in-tune with the previous finales. Still, an excellent 66 minutes of television.

I Guess no Jamie standing guard over dead Tywin next season, and certainly no Cersei and Tommen interaction during this. Cersei has already stated she doesnt even love her father.

I was wondering what was taking so long for Summer to notice that his crew was under attack.

LSH can easily be implemented in the next season. I was hoping for her tonight but I ca see how holding back will also work.

Didnt really see why we needed the Mountain scene right away with Cersei acting so interested in his well being.

As for the Hound telling arya to go with Brienne after their fight I thought it made sense. He at first tells Brienne arya wouldnt be safe with her seeing as how she seems to know very little of whats been happening to aryas family, and then after a brutal fight, comes to realize that arya could be fine with a woman who can do battle that well.

What really disappoints me about their decision to have Brienne and the Hound fight is that it means we likely won't see the scene with the Hound later on, unless they choose to have another character the tv audience is familiar with happen along that path.

She was already well north of the QI so it wouldn't have happened even if someone else injured the Hound.

Why would Tysha be in Essos? Him asking that is pathological, not any sort of conscious search.

Because it's a koan, and it's a lie. Where do whores go? Tysha was not a whore, though the repetitive use of the phrase suggests a koan. He is meditating on the question, but it has no answer. It's about the pursuit for answers and purpose. Or as Martin might say it's about the journey.

Kinda disappointed with the way they chose to deal with Bran's storyline. Made it seem like crossing the north wasn't as hard as it was - they seemed to spend more time trying to reach the Wall than trying to reach the Three Eyed Raven when they are beyond it -, and then out of a sudden Jojen appears really weak and we have the wight fight scene, as if that was the only obstacle they came across in their way. I know they've added the scene in Craster's Keep to sort of minimize all that, and also I understand just showing them travelling and suffering with the cold and stuff would be impossible, but still, it's one of my favorite storylines and I feel it could have been better.

The Mountain wasn't even suffering! He looked peaceful and Qyburn was all like "Yeah, I'll get him patched up" as if nothing had even happened to him! He was supposed to be in agony! Oberyn poisoning him has been completely degraded.

"If ever there was a man who deserved to die screaming it was Gregor Clegane" WHY DIDN'T WE SEE THIS?!

while i wouldn't have minded him screaming, maybe he wasn't doing so cause it'd be hard to hear the dialogue? I'm imaging that it would look like me trying to talk to my family while my dog is barking.

I thought this episode was actually kinda good, after coming off of a season low with episode 9. I loved the chemistry between Jon and Mance, and it's made me realize how much they've wasted Mance up to this point. Stannis the Mannis finally arrived in what i thought was epic fashion, though i thought they could've fit in the "STANNIS!" chant at some point during his walk up to Jon and Mance. That would've made it perfect. One other aspect i liked was the lack of focus on Melisandre; Stannis looked like the one true king we all know and love with Davos firmly at his side.

The Dany stuff was good up until she chained up her dragons like two little puppy dogs. I mean, really? LOL. The Bran stuff was absolutely terrible. A bunch of random skeletons popping up, some random ass fireball attacks, and Jojen getting shanked. Who allows this type of stuff to get on the show?

Brienne vs The Hound was epic. Is it just me or is Brienne getting better looking the more the show moves along? She's way too "Handsome" looking. The books really didn't make her out to be anything other than just being butt ugly, but oh well. Arya's heart has finally turned to stone, in fact they should've called this ep "Stoneheart" in reference to Arya, Tyrion, etc and to troll the viewers. Hah.

and finally, Tyrion. I wonder, what reason did Tyrion have NOT to just escape right away after Jaime freed him? Tyrion going up to his father's chambers and finding Shae seemed really contrived to me. What if Tywin was there with Shae? Tyrion would've been apprehended and end up back where he started. and of course the whitewashing continues, somehow making that despicable little dwarf a sympathetic figure after murdering Shae and his Father(on father's day no less).

Oh well, Tywin pretty much got Stringer Bell'd (But that would make Tyrion...Omar? Hmm).

Tyrion is omar

Last post for me till they star announcing casting:

-Despite my disspointment(which has subsided) I will still look forward to season 5 since this is my second favorite show behind Doctor Who.

-Strangely, I know really, REALLY want to read Winds.

Only on pg 26 and the Tysha cut didn't bother me at all, they could have her show up in the future in Bravos or Pentos.

Jojen's death caught me off guard though, so maybe he was pasted in the books.

I liked Leaf but I cringed a bit with the fireballs.

Next season Lena will be majorly bat shit crazy.

Oh man she is, we got some true first hints at bat shit crazy Lena tonight.

Oh man she is, we got some true first hints at bat shit crazy Lena tonight.

That was not my reaction at all. This to me was much more in line with the 'above all, a mother' character Cersei wants to pretend/believe she is rather than the 'me' character she actually is in the books.

So to me this previews more protecting-her-cubs frenzy than narcissistic lunatic. The show has always erred on the side of making her more sympathetic, usually by giving Joffrey most of her more abhorrent acts.

Bran's reappearance caused me to doublecheck the episode counts, and, amusingly, it's quite easy to guess what the Sophie/Maisie/Isaac DVD commentary will be this year, because there's only one episode with all three of them in it (First of His Name).

Why do they make Stannis look like such a dick even at his finest hour? In the book his sudden appearance had a divine intervention vibe about it, in the show for a moment it felt like he screwed Jon and Mance deal, which was all but certain. Then he comes to Manceto display his "kneeling complex" and gets the notion that killing Mance isn't the best idea from Jon Snow. Mmkay...

Archived