Exercise and Fitness - CitiusER! AltiusER! FortiusER! ;)

baxus

Erg session on Tuesday - still going for the distance and did almost 13km.

Times still in need of improvement and still improving. It's fun to see work you put in pay back.

I find it immensely difficult to sit on an erg for that long. I just get bored. 6km on an erg feels longer than 27km in a boat!

What sort of split are you putting down for that distance? How are you trying to improve - time over 13km or distance at that split?

I find it immensely difficult to sit on an erg for that long. I just get bored. 6km on an erg feels longer than 27km in a boat!

What sort of split are you putting down for that distance? How are you trying to improve - time over 13km or distance at that split?

At the moment I do 10' warmup, then 3 15 minute sessions (I counted total distance covered).

I'm trying to get back into shape so I'm trying to do as much erging as I can.

I set some splits for each of the three sessions and try to hit them as closely as possible (I pay special attention to not getting too much below the target split in the first and/or second, because that would cause me to implode in the third)

At the moment I'm between 2:06 and 2:07/500m in all three.

it's definitely not much, but I've been at 2:13-2:14 a month and a half or so ago, so I'm happy ;)

My plan is to do the longer runs until the end of the month and then switch to shorter distances with higher strokerates and then I'll see how that goes.

At the moment I do 10' warmup, then 3 15 minute sessions (I counted total distance covered).

Ah that's not so bad. The longest I can sit on an erg is about 20 minutes!

At the moment I'm between 2:06 and 2:07/500m in all three.

it's definitely not much, but I've been at 2:13-2:14 a month and a half or so ago, so I'm happy ;)

Nice. 8 seconds is a pretty big improvement over that time period :)

I try to do sloped splits - so the distance of each split decreases but the speed increase. So something like 5km at 2:00, 3km at 1:55, 1km at 1:50 for example. Once I feel comfortable at a speed for 5km (i.e. "I feel exactly the same as I did at 1km"), the next session I'll drop the split time by a couple of seconds.

It's a bit messy, but has worked for me so far - I want to be able to maintain a 1:45 split for 5km by the start of next season, which should be a challenge!

So, I'm kind of looking forward to the 5k run now. I think I'll come in just under the 35 min mark. We've consistently been getting 6min ~30s km now for a while, and that's with a walk in them. That said, I've never run for that long a time with no stops before...although the course is a lot flatter than I'm used to. Could be anything, really. :dunno: Apart from a really good time obviously

Also, good luck Leap!

Sure you'll smash it. You'll probably perform at a higher level during a race anyway, just from the sheer adrenalin rush.

Nice. 8 seconds is a pretty big improvement over that time period :)

Yeah, but it's the easiest 8 seconds to improve ;)

I try to do sloped splits - so the distance of each split decreases but the speed increase. So something like 5km at 2:00, 3km at 1:55, 1km at 1:50 for example. Once I feel comfortable at a speed for 5km (i.e. "I feel exactly the same as I did at 1km"), the next session I'll drop the split time by a couple of seconds.

It's a bit messy, but has worked for me so far - I want to be able to maintain a 1:45 split for 5km by the start of next season, which should be a challenge!

Since you said that you can't sit on erg for more than 20 minutes, I will assume that you do those 5k then have a break, then 3k -> break -> 1k.

I prefer doing a pace change during a single run - increase the stroke rate after covering some distance. For example, do multiple runs of 500m at 22 strokes per minute + 500m at 24 spm + 500m at 26 spm.

That's next on my training schedule, some interval training to increase my speed after I bring my endurance levels up a bit.

Honestly, the worst erging I've ever done was 6 * 1000m at increasing pace. Do the first 1k at 24, then the next at 26, 28, 30, 32 and drop the last one to 30.

An absolute nightmare that was!

Rowed in a four today. It was the third time I got in a boat since coming back from "retirement". Weather was great, the crew wasn't all that great but that's due to lack of experience from two members and is bound to improve. Once again, there's lots of room for improvement but it was good enough.

did all my posts just get straight up deleted?

Not even sure what I said in this thread that was all that offensive.

As stated before:

My gym shut down. Bummer

a 14 year old kid broke the lifting record for his weight class. Yay! Not too young to lift, as was stated by some in the crowd of Westeros.

Going to go to a new westside barbell type gym. Reverse Hypers!!! yay!

So, If this does, indeed, get nuked… please tell me why.

did all my posts just get straight up deleted?

Not even sure what I said in this thread that was all that offensive.

We started a new thread a while back since the old one reached 20 pages*

I don't remember whether you posted in this thread but I'm sure I didn't read anything offensive.

EDIT:

*It would be easy to mix them up because the thread title is almost exactly the same ;)

Good luck with the new gym pererbound trying something new every few years is probably a good thing.

Last week was pretty good I had a couple of very good workouts. This week I'm on vacation so I'm mainly hoping for some mobility work a lot of walking around and some swimming in the ocean.

A certain somebody took me kayaking this weekend. Tons of fun, although it probably wouldn't qualify as a "workout" since we were on a pretty sedate river. Well, except for the part where I had to haul my ass off the rocks.

Which was epically awesome because you kept your shit together and were able to figure it out. No kayaker left behind! <3

I'm having some back issues at the moment.

It started yesterday morning when I woke up. Since I rowed a four on Saturday and had no problems on Sunday I'm more inclined to file this one under sleeping in a weird position or sweating and then getting out from under the covers or something like that.

Either way, I'll definitely skip today's practice and possibly tomorrow's yoga class. Hopefully, I'll be fit by Thursday.

It's nothing major, but I wouldn't risk aggravating it further.

Archived