Exercise and Fitness - CitiusER! AltiusER! FortiusER! ;)

baxus

Woah. I went through my big pile of too-small jeans, and discovered every single pair fits. Woot! No need to go clothes shopping for, like, ever now. There's totally benefits to this healthy living business.

:cheers:

We've been doing a bit of wrestling just as a fitness exercise as part of rugby training. Tonight I ended up pairing up with one of the young lads who's just starting senior rugby this year so I thought I'd go easy on him. Turns out he's a judo black belt, it didn't go well.

Does anyone know anything about strapping up a hamstring? I'll probably have a look on youtube but does anyone have any experience of what's supposed to be the proper method?

I've been fighting with a sore Achilles since Tough Mudder a week and a half ago. The course was mostly through a hay field which played hell on the ankles. I've got a 5k on Saturday and I'd like to at least get one run in before hand. Injuries bite. :/

Woah. I went through my big pile of too-small jeans, and discovered every single pair fits. Woot! No need to go clothes shopping for, like, ever now. There's totally benefits to this healthy living business.

One of the greatest joys that improved fitness and eating healthy can bring you :)

We've been doing a bit of wrestling just as a fitness exercise as part of rugby training. Tonight I ended up pairing up with one of the young lads who's just starting senior rugby this year so I thought I'd go easy on him. Turns out he's a judo black belt, it didn't go well.

:lol:

I'm imagining something like this.

I've commuted about 1250 miles on my bike so far this year - hoping to make 3000 before the weather forces me to quit. I got started about six weeks later than I wanted because my internal gear hub had rusted out (before that I had a tentative goal of 4000). My cardio is great, my legs are awesome, but I really need to work on my core. I really, really hate getting down on the floor to do that though.

I've commuted about 1250 miles on my bike so far this year - hoping to make 3000 before the weather forces me to quit. I got started about six weeks later than I wanted because my internal gear hub had rusted out (before that I had a tentative goal of 4000). My cardio is great, my legs are awesome, but I really need to work on my core. I really, really hate getting down on the floor to do that though.

How about wall sits?

If you have access to a gym, squats/deadlifts. If not, I can't think of many exercises that don't involve getting down on the floor - planks/ab wheels/crunches/varations thereof.

I'm no expert but I'd be concerned about a hernia. Keep an eye on that.

Made me probe 'round my midriff after reading this. Felt unseemly, but nothing there that's not supposed to be there I think.

Someone mentioned earlier. Hold (in a controlled manner) heavy things above your head. It will engage your core just to maintain stability & control. Work on overhead lunges or overhead squats. Just the bar at first. Add weight to the bar as your arms/shoulders, and of course your core, get stronger.

Someone mentioned earlier. Hold (in a controlled manner) heavy things above your head. It will engage your core just to maintain stability & control. Work on overhead lunges or overhead squats. Just the bar at first. Add weight to the bar as your arms/shoulders, and of course your core, get stronger.

Also wood chops and hanging leg raises.

REG, there's a lot you can do for your core even throughout the day without getting down on the floor. proper psoture at your desk and engage your abs & lower back. When you're walking, same thing - it's not "workout" but if you actively engage the muscle groups it will help

Like Tempra said, leg lifts from a bar - knees to chest, knees to elbows, toes to bar. just hanging and going into an L sit. Doing L sit pull ups

Sitting at home watching TV or at the computer - raise the legs and engage!

walking lunges - keeping your frame up and- here's that word again - engaged will definitely do some work.

After you're done with your workout and are passing out on the floor, then do some floor work for the core. :)

DP: That is great! I loved when I was able to get out the box of skinny clothes

Race: Hope it feels better soon, and good luck with your 5k

Although they weren't directed at me, thanks for all the core advice. Always looking for more core exercises.

I have finally gotten past this plateau I was on and am losing again. Makes me very happy (it may have been the muscle gain at first, but then I got sloppy with my diet). Things are back on track now though.

Honestly, none of that sounds much better :lol:

I do think it's time to work on my arms too; I had to carry my bike through much flooding yesterday and they're quite sore today (my bike is about 70lbs when loaded). When I'm doing that I'm resigned to working my core at the same time so I need to just do it.

Honestly, none of that sounds much better :lol:

I do think it's time to work on my arms too; I had to carry my bike through much flooding yesterday and they're quite sore today (my bike is about 70lbs when loaded). When I'm doing that I'm resigned to working my core at the same time so I need to just do it.

Hows this work then:

Sitting at your desk, raise you left leg straight out. Yell ROCK

Raise your right leg. yell CHALK

put both legs down. yell JAYHAWK

Rinse/repeat until your core is sore or someone tells you to STFU. :)

Yesterday, I was chatting with two coworkers, and somehow I mentioned that I had been "slinging kettlebells" earlier that day. One coworker just looked blankly at me and asked if those were a kind of musical instrument (to be fair, he knows how much Mr. X and I are into music). I was so surprised by the question that I just couldn't even say anything. I looked at my other coworker, and she patiently explained to him that they were for weight lifting. So that prompted a round of Googling and dark mutterings: "Of course they're Russian. What the fuck is a pood? After your workout, did you go out and kill a small animal for breakfast?" :lol:

Our bloody monsoon seems to finally be over, after the whole week of having heavy rain and thunderstorms every single day (not the whole day, mind you).

I look forward to rowing tomorrow.

My work schedule will be rather chaotic in the upcoming months so my workouts will have to be short but efficient.

It probably means a lot of erging because it really is the best cardio workout for the limited amount of time and some weight training.

Sadly, water sessions will not be an option...

My gym membership ran out :frown5: . Grgh, I thought I had like a month on it yet. This kind of throws things up in the air because it might be a better option to renew at the university, but that won't be for a few months, maybe, and then i'm not sure how many, if at all, classes I'll actually be doing there and so on. And I don't want anyone at current-gym to think i'm staying away because of politics, because apparently i'm vainer than I knew about that. I think I need to find out if one of the uni gyms has a squat rack - that would pretty much make my mind up for me.

Weights day, that means steak and eggs for breakfast :D

And it is the first of the month, 5 or 6 weeks since I started doing the 5/5 instead of the 2/8-10 so I increased mt weights and most are back to where they were when I was doing just the 2 sets of 8/10.

Feels pretty good. :)

Archived