Exercise and Fitness - CitiusER! AltiusER! FortiusER! ;)

baxus

DP: once you've finished your contract gyms here just keep billing you at the same monthly rate til you cancel. Not so there? Maybe you can talk to them and negotiate a three-month deal?

Yesterday, I was chatting with two coworkers, and somehow I mentioned that I had been "slinging kettlebells" earlier that day. One coworker just looked blankly at me and asked if those were a kind of musical instrument (to be fair, he knows how much Mr. X and I are into music). I was so surprised by the question that I just couldn't even say anything. I looked at my other coworker, and she patiently explained to him that they were for weight lifting. So that prompted a round of Googling and dark mutterings: "Of course they're Russian. What the fuck is a pood? After your workout, did you go out and kill a small animal for breakfast?" :lol:

:lol:

DP: once you've finished your contract gyms here just keep billing you at the same monthly rate til you cancel. Not so there? Maybe you can talk to them and negotiate a three-month deal?

Probably in private gyms, but this is my local community center, which doesn't really do negotiations. I think I'll just get a 1-month membership until things sort themselves out and I decide whether to renew there or at the uni or wherever.

Posted this on the face book, but since some of you don't want to know me in real life, i'll put it here as well:

My gym shut down today. Not sure how to feel about it. I've been disenfranchised with crossfit for some time, but I was sure my love/hate relationship I had with the fitness craze that has swept the land would climb out of it's current nadir, and reach the lofty goals I'm accustomed to. My Ajax cycle helped restore some faith in all things fitness, but, alas, I now have nowhere to practice my hoisting of weights.

But really, the workouts, cycles, programming, or even results weren't really the reason I stuck around. I started my little adventure with crossfit in 08, when I went to Iraq. I'd been introduced to it by a buddy of mine at Peterson when I was a FF there (Thanks Walker-Potts), and really picked it up when I got to Fob Shield in Baghdad. I had some great results, I felt good, and really had the feeling I was on the cutting edge of 'something new'. I went from weighing 260 when I left for the desert, to a svelte 220 when I went home on my first RR. On that RR I stopped by a Crossfit gym in the town I lived in called Pikes Peak Crossfit. Now, I'd be lying if I said that my intentions were entirely based around getting a workout. I had every intention of applying at the Springs fire department when I finished my tour in Iraq, and really wanted to network with the owner, hoping that he could help me get some connection to the job (know what I know about him now, I should have just gone for the workout). The gym was located behind station 1, and it was a tiny little affair, but it felt like somewhere I'd like. I remember listening to some pretty raunchy hip hop (i'm sure it's the same playlist Coop still has on his iPod at the moment. The formation of which, i'm sure was the actual last time he ever visited, and paid for, music on iTunes). I had a kick ass work out, I remember it fondly, and followed it with Rick's birthday wod. Cybil would later tell me that she thought I wouldn't fit in. Thinking about that now makes me rather sad.

I went back to Iraq, and coop become some what of a crossfit mentor to me. You have to understand, at that time crossfit was just getting it's feet. It had been around for a while, but the best videos for a clean and jerk involved sage in her dad's garage. There were about a thousand questions I had, many of them bullshit, but some valid that you couldn't just google and get the answer for. Coop was always patient with me, and even answered my inquires on how to keep my biceps the size they are with professionalism. I stuck with it. Got a little better, and had someone talk me into starting gymjones. I got stronger, lost a little more weight, and felt great. I came home in 2010 and started working out at Pikes Peak pretty much every day for the next year. The coaches were all great, and my abilities got a shit ton better. I always looked for coop, and tom's classes, because I knew they'd be the people that would take my skills to the next level.

But something else happened. I made some friends. I also got a job. Coop, and Cybil became some of my best pals. Friends, compadres, whatever you want to call. We've had some ups and downs, but i've always been able to count on them to be there for me and my family. I realize that, at times, I'm not the easiest to deal with. I'm loud, I've got a horrible temper, I eat with my hands, and I love peanut better and jelly sandwiches (a horrible sin in the world of the coopers) but they always stuck around. I've also been introduced to some of the best people that side of I-25. Ben, rick, susan, jay, karole, mare, chris, matt, fuck.. i'm not going to list them, but the clients that have put up with me, and the gym for as long as they have deserve to know that I think a lot of you. All of you. You're great people, and I hope you find some where out there in the world that fits for you. My undying sense of loyalty prevents me from really trying anywhere else, but i'm sure there are places out there that you'll enjoy.

That gym changed my life. You all have changed my life, and become friends. Let's see if we can keep that going

Posted this on the face book, but since some of you don't want to know me in real life, i'll put it here as well:

I'm not sure which is more real life...this place or FB.

Sorry to hear it's shutting down. What you listed are the reasons I'm dying to join a place - I hate working out by myself. Hopefully you can find a place near enough so you can keep slinging the weights around.

If this weather continues on for much longer, I'll scream!

25-30ªC weather with 50-90% humidity and rain and thunderstorms almost every day.

Yesterday I literally squeezed enough sweat out of my t-shirt to make a puddle about half a meter wide and as long.

And that was after lifting weights, not after erging, though I did go for a run before hitting the weights.

@peterbound:

Sorry to hear your gym is closing. Hopefully, you find a replacement soon.

Ran a 5k on Saturday night. Humidy was pretty bad. but at least it wasn't hot out. My sore Achilles managed to make it through ok, but I must have adjusted my gait because Sunday morning I woke up with my knee hurting badly. I wrapped it up and it felt better as the day went on. This aging crap is for the birds! But I suppose it beats the alternative.

I love that, even though you're disenchanted with Crossfit now, you still give your friends their due for the role they played in your past. But I gotta ask: how *does* one keep one's biceps sufficiently ripped? ;) :lol:

Old man Crossett use to say: You want big arms? Do more squats.

I'm not sure what it meant, but I keep doing it.

Old man Crossett use to say: You want big arms? Do more squats.

I'm not sure what it meant, but I keep doing it.

:love:

I gotta say, squats and deadlifts are my key to happiness these days. And all days, to be honest.

I'm getting to the point where I either have to buy my own kettlebells, or finally suck it up and join a kettlebell gym or barbell club.

I haven't been inside a gym in two weeks so I miss squats and deadlifts. I'm back at work after my vacation so it is time to start up again. I've done some stuff while traveling and that's good.

Yesterday after my first day of work I stopped at the outside gym during the bike ride home and did 3 laps of pullups, dips and box jumps. I tried doing Turkish get ups with a 20 kilo kettlebell at home last night. That felt like a challenge I just did one of each side it is both a strength and technique issue I'll try to add reps over time.

Workout this morning was 100 burpeepullups. Told our instructor he'd misspelt burpees and he then added the separation, not what I was hoping for. Second comment was voiced in my mind, something unmentionable. I don't think I have ever done more than 30 burpees at any one time in my life - let alone 100. And pullups to finish each one! Ughh. As I'm not yet strong enough to do pullups from dead hang I did these pushing off from 2x20kg plates.

First 20 weren't too bad, had a good rhythmn going. Next 20 were gruelling. By the time I reached 50 I'd lost all sense of time & space, although somehow I was still able to keep count. After seeing The Guardians of the Galaxy last weekend I learned what to do when faced with annihilation, so I started singing in my mind; 'ooh-child, things are going to get easi-e-er, ooh-child, things ah are gonna get bbeetter'. Well shit no they didn't. Do burpess pullups include sitting on your ass at some point? Don't know how I got 95, and the last 5 burpees pullups were a killer. Still, I posted a time - 14mins 10sec. Room for improvement.

I did 10k in one erg session yesterday.

That's the longest continuous distance I've ever done.

I still need to get as many kms under my belt as I can so the plan is to do distance sessions for a while longer - 10kms for a few more weeks and then switch to 60'.

Next month I'll switch to shorter, more intense sessions with pace changes and all that.

100 burpee pull-ups in one go? Fucking hell, that does not sound like fun.

I've got my starting place back in the first team after two years for the first preseason game. On the down side the two lads ahead of me in the pecking order being on holiday may have factored into that.

Workout this morning was 100 burpeepullups. Told our instructor he'd misspelt burpees and he then added the separation, not what I was hoping for. Second comment was voiced in my mind, something unmentionable. I don't think I have ever done more than 30 burpees at any one time in my life - let alone 100. And pullups to finish each one! Ughh. As I'm not yet strong enough to do pullups from dead hang I did these pushing off from 2x20kg plates.

First 20 weren't too bad, had a good rhythmn going. Next 20 were gruelling. By the time I reached 50 I'd lost all sense of time & space, although somehow I was still able to keep count. After seeing The Guardians of the Galaxy last weekend I learned what to do when faced with annihilation, so I started singing in my mind; 'ooh-child, things are going to get easi-e-er, ooh-child, things ah are gonna get bbeetter'. Well shit no they didn't. Do burpess pullups include sitting on your ass at some point? Don't know how I got 95, and the last 5 burpees pullups were a killer. Still, I posted a time - 14mins 10sec. Room for improvement.

:bowdown:

I've done 103 burpees in 10 minutes. forget the pull up part.

:bowdown:

I'm going back to my hometown at the end of September for a wedding, and I found out there is a 5k/10k/half the morning of. Think I'm going to sign up. Nowhere near being up to a half in that time frame, but 10k should be doable.

Did some 14-15k today in an eight.

We did pace progressions with proper technique being the focus of the workout.

It was great fun, though my hands are now covered with blisters which will be very annoying in days to come.

Archived