GRRM was actually asked about him dying before finishing. Response = Hilarious

First of all thanks for insulting me freely. I guess opinions aren't well known from wherever you are. From where I come from, people like you usally get banned pretty easily, here i'll just have to say that you're the common jackass found on the internet. Get real. Martin is living a good life thanks to his fans, fans like you and me. The least he can do for us, if he really respects the fanbase, is ending the series. That's my opinion, you can decide not to share it, but you can't condemn me for it. Imbecile.

Sorry if I offended you. I just think it's strange that you think a writer has a duty to finish their books, or that you can demand how much time an old man spends writing them.

It's his legacy. He knows it. We know it.

If he doesn't finish the series himself, then someone else will finish it for him. HBO appears on track to finish telling his story before his does.

So, he should not be surprised that at his age, with his now very, very slow writing speed and ever expanding story, that he should get asked such questions, whether he likes them or not. I

I paid for three books I enjoyed and for two that left me really disappointed.

And I did not buy simply 5 books. I bought 5 books of a series of seven. And if an author sells books of a series and promises me to finish it, I think it is my right to demand the last books.

I'm sorry, but your statement oozes unwarranted entitlement.

Considering the series getting done is probably irrelevant to all of our daily lives, there is no reasonable way to think he owes us an ending.

You changed your avatar, which saddens me greatly. I hope you have found happiness with your new one.

hahaha excellent response

but seriously no matter how irritated people are with his speed of writing you cannot, or atleast should not bring up a persons future death at an interview, what a horrendous thing to ask a person!

First post, which is weird. Anyway.

I think the comparison between Robert Jordan and GRRM is not ideal. Frank Herbert and Dune is a better one, mostly because WoT was becoming a trainwreck of horrible writing and we got such a nice finish from Brian Sanderson that frankly, I wish he would re-write the series, he's a much better writer. But that's me. If you want to see the disaster scenario, take a look at Dune and what Herbert's kid and Kevin Hack Anderson did to it. That was a travesty. But again, that's my opinion.

The bottom line is, I think that we as fans do have the right to be concerned, because obviously, it does happen. People die before finishing huge book series. But, GRRM isn't just a writer, and he absolutely has the right to not define himself by ASoIaF. It has to get pretty old being pestered non-stop, especially if you consider that he managed to fly under the psycho-fandom radar until the show took off. I think in the same situation, I would be flipping birds, too. I'd also argue that he wasn't flipping off the fandom, he was flipping off interviewers, who really don't have any right at all to bug him about being "old" and "fat"- at least, they have no right to do it and not get a very predictable bird shot in their face. Who's making those definitions up, anyway? 65 is the new 55 and GRRM is fluffy, so what?

As a fandom, our general message to GRRM tends to be something along the lines of: "Hey, George, we love you, we love your books, we're worried about you, man. We can't help but want you to write faster!" I think that's a very valid way to feel. But he isn't obligated to think we're cute, and it should be perfectly ok for him to be annoyed. He's driving the ASoIaF bus, and he'll write it when he damned well gets around to it, and no amount of fan-whinage can change that.

After standard GRRM interview with same fucking questions there is actually interesting talk talk about Great Gatsby and Casablanca and reading outside comfort zone, but fuck that.... whe are not some book nerd forum

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/kultur/buecher/Ich-kenne-das-Ende-der-Geschichte-seit-Jahren/story/13757457

new internet .gif meme is rising and maybe it will be more popular than ones from football world cup.

Otherwise, concern regarding his death was always boring to me because he just doesn't look too obese, unhealthy and near-death to me. His walk, short body, talk seems fine to me.

I'm more concerned that mediocre HBO hollywood adaptation will spoil and destroy books future and autonomy, he sold the rights for "load of money delivered on his doorsteps" and for recognition and fam he to some point enjoins.

So i would tell George "fuck you" for selling out in the same manner he told in this interview, half jokingly to skip the stupid question!!!!!! Stupid question because he confirmed numerous times he won't anyone else let finish the books. "If bus hits me tomorrow, you're out of luck."

Regarding the debate whether neil gaiman's proclamation "GRRM is not your bitch" is legitimate i kinda see good points at both sides. But certainly people have right to express their opinion and they have the right to say that they don't actually care for feelings of GRRM's family and friends regarding his health (ofocurse i do think it is rude to express it live in front of them!), GRRM lives from potential critics buying his work.

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2a8btf/no_spoilers_for_anyone_who_is_worried_that_george/cisjuiw

But I don't care since I absolutely loved the last two books and I'm aware how complex his writing is. Better to wait for totally finished product.

Sorry, punch me in the face?

For?

If you mean what was implied in my question, ie that GRRM's utility to us in the manner that defines our interest in him, then I suppose you might want to punch the legal concept of a public figure in the face, which is a lot of punching. But that's still not an issue with me, as I wasn't saying that. I was saying that his humanity does not distinguish him from a guy on a bus to people who have never met him. He interests us because of his writing. Without his writing, but with all his humanity, he would be outside our specific care.

His friends and family prioritize it, I hope. But for us, if we're honest, his humanity means what Bob Arthur's humanity means. And if Bob Arthur wrote books we like, he wouldn't just be a name I made up. But he doesn't, so he is. Except, I hope, to Bob Arthur's hypothetical family and friends. And if I meet Bob Arthur's hypothetical family and friends, I hope they won't want to punch me in the face for not knowing who he is, or ascribing special status to his humanity because they do.

Ok, you seem to have a career in punching people waiting for you. If that is what you want to do with your life, I say go for it. I hope you become one of the best people punchers on the planet. I hope it makes you rich and famous. So rich and famous that people you haven't met enjoy your punching to such an extent that they have concern for your health and welfare. Insofar as it affects your punching.

Peace.

:owned: Lmao. Perfect post man, I agree with you 100% Also all this talk of "punching people" is fucking golden, we got some real tough guys round these parts. I got your back on this one

Ill just keep brandishing longclaw, no one will mess with us!

also insert obligatory "COME AT ME BRO!"

I'm not one to make threats like punching or fighting, but how is what Locust said unreasonable? The questions regarding his health are not actually regarding his health; they're regarding what he can do for the fans before he dies, which comes back to that entitlement mindset. If you're asking about his mortality, it's pretty unlikable that is what you really care about. I'd say it warrants an extreme reaction.

"Say, XRandomPoster, it's been awhile since your last post in the reread project you started. I really want to read that so you're not gonna die on me right? That would disappoint me very much."

If that doesn't warrant thoughts of a punch, well, what does? ;p

my only problem with this is why GRRM cant allow any other author to finish the series incase if something happened to him

i know he doesnt want others to spoil his work but wouldnt that be better than nothing ...consider if we didnt know the finish then all we have left is this forum and some crazy theories that people will start speaking as a fact and it might have been made it to the book

i dont know for others but for me i want some answers and make some theories to fell apart even if it comes from an different author

my only problem with this is why GRRM cant allow any other author to finish the series incase if something happened to him

i know he doesnt want others to spoil his work but wouldnt that be better than nothing ...consider if we didnt know the finish then all we have left is this forum and some crazy theories that people will start speaking as a fact and it might have been made it to the book

i dont know for others but for me i want some answers and make some theories to fell apart even if it comes from an different author

Dude, he is already letting HBO write and spoil his work. And.... he is going to let them finish it.

"Say, XRandomPoster, it's been awhile since your last post in the reread project you started. I really want to read that so you're not gonna die on me right? That would disappoint me very much."

If that doesn't warrant thoughts of a punch, well, what does? ;p

:agree:

Shall we ask Peter Dinklage who will play Tyrion if dies? He's kinds short, he might get trampled or something! Or Nikolaj Coster-Waldau a similar question? Heaven knows who else could step into his shoes to finish playing Jaime.

Yeah, I thought the question was rude.

I feel like wondering if he'll finish the series is a legitimate concern for fans, it's exactly what happened with WoT and GRRM isn't a particularly fast writer (not that there's anything wrong with that - I'd rather the book be good than simply finished ;)) I appreciate that it's offensive to GRRM and so people should respect that, but I doubt that the people who wondered/questioned originally did it trying to be offensive.

And I'll throw in my own opinion here (though I'm sure it will offend some, and I'm sorry about that) but I don't think that the question itself is offensive. People probably just want to hear that he has a synopsis/ending penned down somewhere so that someone can continue it if something were to happen. People are invested in his story and adore it and I would think that most authors would want their fans to get to know the 'true' ending if something were to happen to them while writing it. Though I agree that it's probably not something he wants to think about, or should have to think about, I don't think that it's offensive for fans to wonder. In fact, I think, in some sense, it's a compliment? I don't know how to explain that entirely, but I think it's a compliment to his story and his ability as a writer that people are so worried about not getting to know the ending; that they're so invested in his story.

I'll then add that I don't know what people are saying, though, and that if they're talking about his health or making rude comments then I can appreciate why GRRM would be offended. To be honest, it's not something that's ever crossed my mind (what if GRRM dies and can't finish?), but I can appreciate why other people might worry (even though I don't know of any reason for him not to live for a good while longer) because it has happened before (see: Robert Jordan).

I completely agree with this. But my simple question is, should readers be infinitely patient with GRRM (who started the series in 1991), age and health aside?? ASOIAF is his career pinnacle, his lifetime legacy, his mark on the world. Why not put extra effort into completing that legacy not only for himself, but for the fans to whom he owes credit for his fame and success? No, he isn't anyone's "bitch," but I firmly believe he, along with every author/musician/artist etc, is somewhat beholden to the fanbase that propelled him to superstar-dom.

Dude, he is already letting HBO write and spoil his work. And.... he is going to let them finish it.

i know that show is going to give us a end

but would the readers satisfied with that ending ...no i dont think so ...we will have discussions about how it was not the ending GRRM wanted and show is not good at all and it is different from books ..

the show will never satisfy or stop the readers of the books to have questions ...why it is so hard to let another one carry out his job when he is not no more ...i dont want to be rude but we have had authors like Robert jordan who did that ...why cant he do that ...i dont think he owed us or anything but atleast he can help us get some closure on his story right....

I firmly believe he, along with every author/musician/artist etc, is somewhat beholden to the fanbase that propelled him to superstar-dom.

You're clearly implying that if he wrote the exact same story but it was less popular, then he would have no obligation.

This clearly means you're pretty entitled.

Archived