People who don't care about "The Big Four"?

The Onion Sleight

I enjoy all of the characters in the book. And I just can't see the point of sticking with a series that you are so, presumably, miserable while reading large chunks of it. Tyrion isn't my favorite character, but his POV is necessary to paint the whole picture. And IMO that statement could apply to any character in the books.

I agree with this. Now, every character does have problems. But that's why they call it character development, people. I think Dany should have been training her dragons for war from the moment she got them, and instilled discipline in them from the start. She didn't do that, which led to problems, and I thought that was stupid, but hey, people make mistakes, and it adds to their character. Tyrion was more of a viewer than an actor in ADWD, but he had things to work out in his mind, and that makes sense. Let characters be people, and see the interesting things they do.

People who don't like reading about Tyrion, Dany, Jon and Arya probably tried the books and gave up on reading them. Why read thousands of pages of a story about characters that you aren't interested in?

Because there are tons of other characters to be invested in?

I don't dislike those characters per se, but they are never really the most interesting, even in their own chapters.

Tyrion chapters I'd read for Bronn, Cersei, Tywin, JonCon, Jorah

Dany chapters I'd read for Viserys, Jorah, Barristan

Jon chapters I'd read for Mance, Tormund, Stannis, Melisandre

Arya chapters I'd read for Syrio, Jaqen, Gendry, Beric, the Hound.

I'm heavily invested in Davos, Sansa, Bran, Asha, Theon, Cersei, Jaime and even Arianne as POVs, and I was heavily invested in Cat and Ned when they were around, so it's not like people who don't like "the big four" are limited on options.

People are within their right to like or dislike whoever they choose, even if that person isn't or is a main character, respectively. If someone is reading the series only to see what happens to Balon Swann, that's their prerogative.

Jon is my favorite character and Arya is one of my favorite characters. I liked Tyrion up until he revealed himself as a self-pitying nihilist. And I wouldn't spit on Dany if she were on fire.

I liked Tyrion a lot but now he's been saved so many times I'm getting bored of him. I always liked Jon but equally with other minor characters, and as soon as Arya left her little group of Hot Pie and Gentry, I didn't care for her at all and I have been hoping she dies ever since then. I liked Dany but she is also a terrible ruler and I hope she never gets the Iron throne, she should just go back to rebuild Valyria with Aegon.

So the only favorite character I still even like is Jon, but I think he will become Azor reborn so even he may change.

I love Sansa but it seems everyone hates her just because she isn't a scrappy tomboy out for revenge. I think her having to learn to play the game while a hostage is a great storyline and I can't wait for what she and Littlefinger get up to next.

I hate Arya because she is such a stereotype of a tomboy badass. I also love Brienne and Podrick but it seems they aren't really fan favorites, at least in the books.

I stop liking Tyrion during Clash.

Hahaha, that's when I really started liking him. :dunno:

Arya is more interesting POV than Dany

:agree:

Balon Swan is awesome

?? How come I don't see this on your post but I see it when I quote you?? :lol:

Dany (is to much like a more adult version of a teen CW show )

Ridiculous statement. And completely insulting to the author. Can't people just not like a character without attacking the quality of the writing? I certainly wouldn't waste my time reading books where one of the central characters is "like a CW show".

I came to the conclusion that for me, as soon as a character crosses over the Narrow Sea to Essos, it becomes less and less interesting. The farther east they are, the more likely I am to skip their chapters upon reread.

I liked Dany only in GOT, after that, I just do not care about her and going through her ADWD chapters was torture. I read them only once and that's it.

I still like Arya, however the Braavos stuff is somehow boring to me.... I get it, it is awesome assassin school but for me, it can't beat her Riverlands travels. Same as Dany, Arya is just too far removed from happenings in Westeros.

Tyrion was my favourite until he went to Essos, again, his whining about whores and observing turtles can't compare to his fantastic arc he had in COK in King's Landing. However, I still enjoy how witty and resourceful he is.

And Jon - I was invested in him from the start. Wall stuff is my favourite of all, especially in ADWD. His story was a bit weaker during his time with Ygritte, at least for me, but I thoroughly enjoy his Wall chapters. I hope he comes to know his heritage and that it will have big impact on the final events of the series.

She might not have the fans sympathy, but her chapters are definitely the most discussed around here every time her name pops out :)

Exactly. The author must be doing something right if he can evoke such strong feelings one way or the other for his characters.

Ridiculous statement. And completely insulting to the author. Can't people just not like a character without attacking the quality of the writing? I certainly wouldn't waste my time reading books where one of the central characters is "like a CW show".

Ah, Nictarion, you stole the words right out of my mouth....or keyboard rather

Whilst I don't think Sansa and Bran are quite as popular amongst the general fandom as the "Big 4" mentioned, I would argue that there is a case for them being listed amongst the main/ most important characters along with the other 4, as I believe that their stories have also been a big focus of the series, and one assumes that they will play a comparatively important role in the later books.

Having said that, I find Bran and Jon very, very dull. If I see their names at the beginning of a chapter, I tend to glaze over a bit. I've taken to referring to Jon as Generic McFantasyCharacter, which is probably a bit mean, but there we go. The appearance of Stannis and Melisadre at the Wall, and Jon's struggle with new leadership made his chapters a bit more interesting to read, but I've still not really warmed to him.

Dany and Tyrion I largely enjoy, but I certainly don't count them amongst my favourites. I think ADwD was a low point in both of their storylines (similarly to Jon- though in a different way- Dany is really struggling with her leadership, and Tyrion is at an understandable but oftimes deeply creepy low point), though they seemed to be picking up near the end. I don't hate to read about them or anything, but I certainly don't buy the books to read about them, either.

I like Arya, and Sansa's also grown on me, I'm really enjoying her chapters, and looking forward to seeing where her story goes from here. Both stories seem to be taking a darker turn, and it'll be interesting to see how they emerge from those.

My favourite characters are actually LF, Varys, Olenna and Asha (and I'll chuck Margaery in if I'm making a show list), only one of which has ever had a POV chapter, so I don't think people necessarily need to love the major characters for the books to be worth reading. That said, if I felt the same about all of the above 6 characters as I do about Jon and Bran, I probably wouldn't have carried on with the series, I think I would have lost interest by now.

I am disinterested in all of them and at the moment Jon's chapters are the only ones I am looking for from these 4 POVs. I got bored with Arya and her chapters at the end of CoK - there are just too many of them in CoK and SoS. The number of her chapters is second only to Tyrion in CoK and the biggest in SoS. Just too much for me. With Dany I got bored in CoK as well and found them boring ever since with very few truly interesting moments. Tyrion's chapters became as boring as Dany's in DwD. Jon's POVs are good only thanks to the characters that are with him since the end of SoS.

Archived