Why does everyone hate the Lannisters?

One thing you've got to give the Lannisters: as a family, they are highly entertaining.

Any good story needs a few bad people, or at least one or two, to keep things interesting and complicated. Not only do the Lannisters perform that essential service, but they're generally pretty smart and (except for humorless Tywin) they range from pretty funny to very funny. And the inter-family dynamic is unique, complex and fascinating.

The books wouldn't be half as good without the Lannisters. They've got serious problems by now, but I hope (and expect) that they will find a way to wiggle out of them and remain serious players. In fact, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if George shocks us by leaving Tommen on the throne at the end. We've been told several times that he could make a good king.

Most of the Lannisters I find to be ok, but there are three that are truly evil:

Tywin: Elia, Tysha, people of the Riverlands, take your pick

Joffrey: Ned, Sansa, the people of KL, again take your pick

Cersei: Robert's bastards, Melara, sending people to Qyburn, yet again take your pick

All three of these characters are horrible people. with very little to redeem them. That said, as characters I love each of them. All three are important to the story as a whole, and Tywin and Cersei are, imo, among the most interesting characters. But I still despise them because, quite frankly, they're very bad people.

The other Lannisters, however, aren't as bad. Jaime and Tyrion are, imo, among the greyest characters in the series, and both have done things I find admirable and both have done things I find despicable. Myrcella and Tommen seem to be genuinely good kids, Gerion was a good guy from what we've seen in memories of him. I'm not huge on Kevan because he does follow Tywin around like a puppy, but he still seems to be a decent person. And Lancel, while very annoying, does not strike me as a bad guy. Misguided and weak, sure. But not bad.

Overall, the Lannisters are the most enjoyable family for me to read about. Yes, some of them are truly bad, but there are decent people in the family. And I find all of them interesting to read about. Except Lancel. He annoys the hell out of me.

Rossester: Because they're ultimately a bunch of cowards, liars and hypocrites

Coward is not a catch all word for people you don't like. There are a lot of negative things to say about the Lannister, but there are very few cowards in this family. Joffrey is the only one who comes to mind.

Yes we have trials in our world and we get to hear both sides but at the same time it all comes down to what's right and what's wrong and were they justified in their actions?

I don't see how anyone could excuse any of the Lannisters actions, the evil they do is justified by their greed of power and when they do protect their own the ones they are protecting are evil, there is no justification in what they do.

of course it comes down to if they were justified in their actions. but that's where our opinions on the matter are devided. I do not condone any of their actions really, but that doesn't mean I find them evil for commiting them. in many cases they were understandable (mostly talking about jaime here)

ok I did not want to make this about a singular character but I agree that most of the lannisters actions are due to greed and power (also tons and tons of bitterness, certainly when talking about cercei, tyrion and tywin) when it comes to jaime however, Jaime never ever wanted power. pushing bran out of the window was something he did partly because if Bran told the starks that would mean the deaths of him, cercei and their children (you can hardly say their children, except for joffrey, are evil can you?) and honestly I think cercei is a horrible person but wouldn't call her evil either (but again, that's due to my person defenition of who is evil and who isn't) and even if they were evil that wouldn't mean it wasn't an understandable act on jaime's behalf.

I think it was also due to impulses, Jaime defenitly has some traumas because of all the horrible things he's had to witness. and jaime himself remembers it to be an impuls and wishes he hadn't done it.

I don't know what other bad things jaime has done ? I may forget something (i'm not super invested in him) but that's the one I'm remembering now. and it was still a horrible thing to do! and I don't condone him for it but when looking at it from jaime's perspective it was understandable.

euhm.... what... so because the majority of the family are considered bad people that automatically makes the non bad people still bad people because they are part of the family... guilt by association, I love it!

errrhm, the title of the thread is "Why does everyone hate the LannisterS". As a group, yes, they all suck. Even the not-quite-rotten do nothing to stop the truly rotten ones' actions.

errrhm, the title of the thread is "Why does everyone hate the LannisterS". As a group, yes, they all suck. Even the not-quite-rotten do nothing to stop the truly rotten ones' actions.

the thread generalised the lannisters because they were asking about all of them. doesn't mean you havve to lump them all together in a group and blame the good ones for the bad ones actions. about the "they didn't try to stop the others..." well were they in a position to do so ? I do not think so... and even if they would have been, how are those actions theirfor their responsiblity. by that logic the actions were the responsibility of everyone who didn't try to stop them! (we are not responsible for the actions of our family)

Sorry to break it to you, but 95% of the nobles don't give a shit about the smallfolk. They are cannon fodder to be used to fight the nobleman's wars, nothing more.

Also, I don't understand why the Lannisters are criticized for choosing family above all else. It's considered an admirable quality for other houses :dunno:

I think It's exactly the opposite with the Lannisters, tbh. They always choose their personal quarrels over family. They don't work as a unit, like the Tyrells. In that regard, I respect the Tyrells far more. Of course, the Lannisters are more well-rounded characters.

I think It's exactly the opposite with the Lannisters, tbh. They always choose their personal quarrels over family. They don't work as a unit, like the Tyrells. In that regard, I respect the Tyrells far more. Of course, the Lannisters are more well-rounded characters.

The Tyrells basically out-Lannister the Lannisters. They actually are what Tywin wanted his family to be. Loras is a celebrated knight and Margaery is a queen and Mace is now the Hand, they're stupid rich and command a sizable army. What they don't do is squabble openly amongst themselves, undermine each other, threaten each other and work against each other. They're cohesive.

Because on a moral scale, the Lannister's seem to ***** up more than any other major house. This is not too surprising as their house is built upon pride & greed. "Hear me Roar!... Hey, why are you not listening!"

Their that rich kid who drives their Cadillac through poorer neighborhoods to show off. Even the good ones like Tyrion are grayer than other houses blacks.

Entertainment wise, it is much harder to hate them. Tyrion adds great wit to the series. Jamie provides a great, but not prince charming, redemption arc. Tommen's kittens are cute. Putin, I mean Tywin is that clever evil son of a **** you love to hate. And Cersei. My word, was Cersei's Feast chapters nothing but absolute bliss to read. Her stupidity is awe-inspiring, and the best humor I've had in ages.

Add to this the whole Shakespearean vibe about them(Tywin forsaking his truest son for petty reasons), and they are just a narrative gem.

The Tyrells basically out-Lannister the Lannisters. They actually are what Tywin wanted his family to be. Loras is a celebrated knight and Margaery is a queen and Mace is now the Hand, they're stupid rich and command a sizable army. What they don't do is squabble openly amongst themselves, undermine each other, threaten each other and work against each other. They're cohesive.

To this I say we should rename them House Dandelion. just to rub it in.

Exactly. Might I add that whilst Tywin wanted such family, he did not realized that his efforts and his posture regarding his offspring is Exactly why the Lannisters are so messy and petty between themselves. Tywin claimed He cared about family and legacy, but if he did, he'd guess the family would have to remain a close unit in order to perpetuate their strength.

Could he have? I didn't get that impression. I thought Tywin was pretty adamant about it even when he did say ''no.'' at first.

And even provided he could have refused, what did he gain by going ahead with it? I don't recall any moment in ASoS where he finds himself pleased that he might inherit WF, he seems mostly focussed on CR.

1. He did have a lot of chances, and only that, he even said so just before the wedding when he offered to Sansa that she can call off the wedding and marry Lancel. So, was he being dishonest hypocrite here or he spoke the truth? Furthermore, at the very meeting Tywin offered this, when Tyrion refused, Tywin offered him a bride that is willing to marry him - Lolys Stokeworth. But, Lolys was nowhere rich and beautiful as Sansa, so...

2. He did thought about WF, and I can recall couple of moments when he does think about that. One is when he admits the allure of WF when Tywin offers him marriage and second I think is when he is waiting for Oberyn. He thinks about lusting for Sansa and wanting WF too.

This thread seems like a Lannister hate bait thread. And I see a lot of usual Lannister haters already called here every single family member a creature born of evil, lol. :lmao:

Ontopic, Lannister is my favourite house. I only hate Cersei and Joffrey.

only tv viewers truly hate the Lannisters. they haven't read the books and think that the Lannisters are evil and all problems came from them. so no, not everyone hate the Lannisters.

Pretty much, and I'd like to point out how utterly black and white the TV characters are. The problem is, there's no internal monologues, so you don't see the darker parts of Tyrion, who the show has really changed negatively for me, but you also don't get that moment where Joffery is dying, and Tyrion looks at him and realizes, this is still a THIRTEEN year old kid with obvious mental health problems.

Archived