Football LXXXI: As The Saints Go Marching Out

Agüero is chubby little chap and Rooney is what? An underwear model? :lol:

Also, Agüero's last great not-full season ended with him scoring 28 goals in 34 matches (6 in 6 Champions' League matches).

In his last great full season, Rooney ended up with 19 goals in 40 matches (2 in 9 Champions' League matches).

I'll let you do the math who's overrated ;)

Rooney's inconsistent, yeah, but he's never been all about the goals, and his overall play is generally less inconsistent than his scoring. I'm not saying Aguero is just a goalscorer either, obviously, but he's always at his most useful in the final third of the pitch, which isn't true of Rooney. He's often better when he isn't the main goalscorer in a team at all.

The 3-5-2 will be interesting for him too, because there's a proper striker alongside him but also a dedicated number 10 behind him- it could end up being perfect for him to shuttle between the two roles knowing the other position is always covered. Or he could end up stepping on both their toes. We'll see.

Anyways Aguero's more comparable to Van Persie in the way they play.

Except that those figures comprise seasons where he scored anything between 17 and 40 goals, and anything between 6 and 19 assists. Not exactly a model of consistency.

Also, those goals and assists notoriously come in bursts. He frequently goes for long periods without scoring or assisting at all. Even in his best season (2009-10) where he scored 40 goals, he had a run where he scored only twice in 12 games, and failed to score at all after March (including drawing a complete blank at the World Cup).

Rooney's career shows a player who is heavily reliant on bursts of form, and that is the opposite of reliable.

Faulty analysis, given that you don't consider the positions he played in which will undoubtedly influence his numbers. In the last 5 seasons, he's only spent 2 seasons playing up top for the entire duration. And he ended up with 30+ goals in both those seasons.

And you've pretty much pointed out the only real barren spell he has had in the last 5 years and that was a result of a great deal of things (injury, hookers, pissing about, transfer request etc.). And he followed that particular barren run with perhaps his best form for United.

Rooney's career can be divided into two halves. The first half (first 5 years) is exactly as you describe it, though it must be said that even when he wasn't scoring he was still one of the most important players. The second half (from 2009) he's been hell of a lot more consistent and one of the most productive players in the league (if not the most). He usually turns up with a goal/assist even when he isn't playing well nowadays. And with Rooney, it's always more than just numbers. You cannot quantify some of his other positive contributions.

Didn't Cisse buy some country villa while playing for Liverpool and lived there?

He is technically Lord of the Manor of Frodsham. Thankfully this doesn't mean he gets to be an actual Lord in the 'Chamber of' sense (can you imagine), but still, Lord Cisse. :laugh:

Rooney's career can be divided into two halves. The first half (first 5 years) is exactly as you describe it, though it must be said that even when he wasn't scoring he was still one of the most important players. The second half (from 2009) he's been hell of a lot more consistent and one of the most productive players in the league (if not the most). He usually turns up with a goal/assist even when he isn't playing well nowadays. And with Rooney, it's always more than just numbers. You cannot quantify some of his other positive contributions.

That goes for all players, though, unless you're one of those soulless nerds trying to define the game purely through numbers

He is technically Lord of the Manor of Frodsham. Thankfully this doesn't mean he gets to be an actual Lord in the 'Chamber of' sense (can you imagine), but still, Lord Cisse. :laugh:

Lord Djibril of House Cisse, with crossed crutches with a football in the background on his sigil ;).

That goes for all players, though, unless you're one of those soulless nerds trying to define the game purely through numbers

True, but I'd say it's more so for Rooney than someone like RVP for instance.

Rooney is....well he's just a weird player to describe.

True, but I'd say it's more so for Rooney than someone like RVP for instance.

Rooney is....well he's just a weird player to describe.

Honestly. I'd say the 'unquantifiables' about how van Persie scores some of his outrageous goals are harder to describe than Rooney's contributions to the game

RvP's perfectly capable of doing the creative thing too, he just doesn't so much at United because Rooney's there, and having Rooney play deeper and RvP be more the poacher is a more sensible division of labour. But he was better in his last season for Arsenal than he ever has been for us, because he was running the whole attack for them then.

Faulty analysis, given that you don't consider the positions he played in which will undoubtedly influence his numbers.

It might explain a season in which he had lots of assists but relatively few goals, for example 2010-11. But it doesn't explain the long barren patches which are a feature of his play. (Yes, there's more than one. In fact there are many. I didn't even pick on his longest.)

It might explain a season in which he had lots of assists but relatively few goals, for example 2010-11. But it doesn't explain the long barren patches which are a feature of his play. (Yes, there's more than one. In fact there are many. I didn't even pick on his longest.)

Well which ones? 2010 is something of an anamoly. He was dogshit for the first half of the season (barely even championship standard at times) for varying reasons and absolutely brilliant for the 2nd half.

And it would explain more than that. How many #10's score as many goals as Rooney does? Not many I'd wager.Those blank stretches only stand out when you think he's playing up top every game, when perhaps for a #10 it's not that out of the norm. The season before last ('12-13) he played numerous games as a out an out CM. Last season he ended several games playing as a routine CM when Moyes went for a more attacking approach. He's even played out wide when Fergie was here in certain games. When you've got a payer whose role can change from game to game let alone different seasons, then pointing out blank stretches here and there doesn't say a whole lot.

The overall picture tells a truer story albeit not the complete one. He's delievered more often than not for United and has been very reliable on the whole.

Well which ones?

September - November 2009: 2 goals in 12 games.

2010: no goals in April, May or at the World Cup - 10 games. Only scored three more from August to the end of the calendar year (17 games).

October - December 2011: 1 goal in 8 games.

August 2012: did not score for first 6 games of the season.

April -Jun 2013: 1 goal in 8 games.

December 2013 - Feb 2014: 1 goals in 10 games.

Rooney's goalscoring is always patchy. I'm surprised this is even in question.

Is it down to where he plays? I don't have the information to hand to check that. But it's a facet of his play that appears across multiple seasons, so I doubt it.

Howard Webb has retired. Twitter is a wasteland of shit banter, led by Paddy Power as always.

ETA: Sorry, "Coward Webb" as a whole load of total bellends have decided to call him

Phew. Arsenal's record with Webb as ref is so bad. We're going to win the league now.

In other news, the 2 year loan for Manquillo that Liverpool just completed is an excellent deal. I wanted him for Arsenal before Chambers and I think they'll be happy with him. He's young, talented and has looked good.

Nice to have signed a fullback, although right-back isn't really the most pressing of the two given we do have options there. Hopefully the Moreno deal gets sorted soon as we really need a left-back given Enrique is our only proper left-back and I don't have much confidence in him staying fit.

If Manquillo works out you'd think that probably means we'll let Johnson leave and look to develop Flanagan and Manquillo. You'd think one of Kelly and Wisdom will move on as well since having 4 potential options a right-back seems excessive, maybe they'll get a shot a centreback as everyone keeps talking about both of them as long terms options there but it's also pretty congested at centreback at the moment.

Archived