NFL 2014: Preseason Edition

Jaime L

Andy Dalton just signed a six year $115 million extension. Welcome to the League of Extraordinarily Overpaid Quarterbacks.

ESPN Report

Remains to be seen how much is guaranteed, or whether this is a contract of "so long as you are on the team, you will be overpaid". Because IF the Bengals can cut ties with Dalton without a big problem, then this may not be a horrible deal. Still seems much too high though. It is dramatically harder to win with a "good but not great" quarterback when you are paying him the same as the best quarterbacks in the game. For those that remember, Aaron Rodgers contract from last year was 5 years, $110 million. Somehow paying Rodgers $22 million a year seems a lot more defensible than paying Dalton $19 million a year.

Sigh. I'll have to see the guaranteed money and the structure before I make judgement. Dalton's looked pretty good in training camp from what I've seen and it really does look like he has complete control over the offense. It's clear the brass has seen enough to give him a monster contract so I'll have to see. As much shit as we give him, he has gotten better each of the last three years and he has broken more or less every franchise record. That does have to be rewarded. I just hope it's not a 50 mil guaranteed contract without an out after a few years if he inevitably hits a wall.

ESPN Report

Remains to be seen how much is guaranteed, or whether this is a contract of "so long as you are on the team, you will be overpaid". Because IF the Bengals can cut ties with Dalton without a big problem, then this may not be a horrible deal. Still seems much too high though. It is dramatically harder to win with a "good but not great" quarterback when you are paying him the same as the best quarterbacks in the game. For those that remember, Aaron Rodgers contract from last year was 5 years, $110 million. Somehow paying Rodgers $22 million a year seems a lot more defensible than paying Dalton $19 million a year.

Sigh. I'll have to see the guaranteed money and the structure before I make judgement. Dalton's looked pretty good in training camp from what I've seen and it really does look like he has complete control over the offense. It's clear the brass has seen enough to give him a monster contract so I'll have to see. As much shit as we give him, he has gotten better each of the last three years and he has broken more or less every franchise record. That does have to be rewarded. I just hope it's not a 50 mil guaranteed contract without an out after a few years if he inevitably hits a wall.

Agree with both of you. If he's getting paid money like Rodgers, then I expect him to make others around him better, which is what Rodgers, Brady, Brees, and Manning all do. Mexal, you're right that he has progressed every year he's played. If he can be successful in the playoffs (At least win one game, if not 2) then I'll shut up. I just hope he doesn't turn into a Romo who has a great statistical regular season but can't get it done when it matters, because I don't think those guys are worth the money.

The funny thing about this is, give Sam Bradford the weapons that Dalton has to work with and that is a much better team. Yet people seem to think Bradford has "something to prove" and he's in danger of being cut after the year.

The funny thing about this is, give Sam Bradford the weapons that Dalton has to work with and that is a much better team. Yet people seem to think Bradford has "something to prove" and a lot of other nonsense.

He does have something to prove; that he can stay healthy. Dalton hasn't missed a start in 3 years. Bradford has missed 15 starts in 4 years.

As someone who's grown up playing rugby and enjoys watching American Football but has never played one of the things that's struck me with all the talk about concussion is that a lot of tackles you see in the NFL the defender has their head in the wrong position from my perspective. Given that I thought it was quite interesting when I saw this video talking about how the Seahawks coach their players to tackle with their heads out of the way and wrapping their arms. They get a bit gimmicky with calling them 'Hawk tackles' etc but the basic drills with the coaches on their knees demonstrating getting their head out of the way and wrapping their arms is exactly how I was taught how to make a tackle when I was a kid. How were you guys coached how to make a tackle when you played youth football?

For those wandering about the weak punishment for Ray Rice, Jay Glazer has perhaps revealed the ultimate reason why

Glazer said the the NFL did not watch the Rice elevator tape because the authorities did not give it to them or show it to them.

As someone who's grown up playing rugby and enjoys watching American Football but has never played one of the things that's struck me with all the talk about concussion is that a lot of tackles you see in the NFL the defender has their head in the wrong position from my perspective. Given that I thought it was quite interesting when I saw this video talking about how the Seahawks coach their players to tackle with their heads out of the way and wrapping their arms. They get a bit gimmicky with calling them 'Hawk tackles' etc but the basic drills with the coaches on their knees demonstrating getting their head out of the way and wrapping their arms is exactly how I was taught how to make a tackle when I was a kid. How were you guys coached how to make a tackle when you played youth football?

The first tackle I ever made, I bruised a kids ribs because I led with my helmet. The coach took me aside and told me he loved the hit, but I need to do that in games and not to my own teammates in practice. I was 9.

He does have something to prove; that he can stay healthy. Dalton hasn't missed a start in 3 years. Bradford has missed 15 starts in 4 years.

8 of those games were because of a torn ACL, which is not typically an injury which repeats itself. About 5 were a sprained ankle his second season that he could have played on, but the team was at the bottom of the standings and had an atrocious offensive line so there was no reason to run him out there and risk further injury.

For those wandering about the weak punishment for Ray Rice, Jay Glazer has perhaps revealed the ultimate reason why

Glazer said the the NFL did not watch the Rice elevator tape because the authorities did not give it to them or show it to them.

The first tackle I ever made, I bruised a kids ribs because I led with my helmet. The coach took me aside and told me he loved the hit, but I need to do that in games and not to my own teammates in practice. I was 9.

THIS. You'd get the old-timey coach from time to time who preached fundamentals, and safer tackling teqnique, but more often than not you'd have the younger. ex-military type who was out for blood. I had a line coach in Highschool who coached all sorts of nasty, underhanded crap. Pretty damn brutal.

8 of those games were because of a torn ACL, which is not typically an injury which repeats itself. About 5 were a sprained ankle his second season that he could have played on, but the team was at the bottom of the standings and had an atrocious offensive line so there was no reason to run him out there and risk further injury.

The point is that Dalton has been healthy, Bradford has not. That's all.

Dalton's contract structure has been announced and it's excellent for the Bengals as expected. It's a 6 year, 96 million, with 17 mil guaranteed. His average salary is 16m per year, with a cap hit of 9 mil in 2014 and 9.4 mil in 2015 before jumping to 13 mil in 2016. He gets 22m within the first 6 months of his deal and has a bunch of escalators for playing time / Conference / Division Titles and Super Bowl. Pretty sweet deal for the Bengals when it's all said and done and Dalton still gets paid but it's not anywhere near dehibilitating as it could be. After 2015, it's essentially a pay as you go contract.

I would have a much easier time believing that Bradford was great if Kellen Clemens had a harder time being competitive in games with the same team. But he didn't. Bradford has shown virtual nothing to indicate that he will be a strong qb going forward. Even jay cutler had at least one great season.

I would have a much easier time believing that Bradford was great if Kellen Clemens had a harder time being competitive in games with the same team. But he didn't. Bradford has shown virtual nothing to indicate that he will be a strong qb going forward. Even jay cutler had at least one great season.

Kellen Clemens was horrible, but the team managed to run and defense themselves to a few wins.

Andy Dalton just signed a six year $115 million extension. Welcome to the League of Extraordinarily Overpaid Quarterbacks.

It is only two years with four strait years of team options. It is a very team friendly contract that could reward Dalton if he peaks. Local hacks had a strangely knowledgeable agent break it all down this afternoon, and he thought this would become the norm on these middle of the road QB's.

SkynJay: That's smart on the Bengals part. I guess I should say that I don't see him earning that full contract. Dalton is pretty good in the regular season, but I'm curious how well he would do without a solid team around him. If the defense wasn't above average I don't see Dalton keeping them in a game that requires a shootout. I also don't see Dalton making his teammates around him better, which is what a top paid QB should do. He'll be under a microscope these next couple years.

I'm curious if Flacco's extension after the SB opened up this mild frenzy of middle of the road QB's getting contracts? Romo and Cutler both got nice ones, and now you can add Kaepernick and Dalton. The cap going up is a reason too.

I'm curious if Flacco's extension after the SB opened up this mild frenzy of middle of the road QB's getting contracts? Romo and Cutler both got nice ones, and now you can add Kaepernick and Dalton. The cap going up is a reason too.

The Flacco contract is probably the reason we're seeing these team-friendly contracts like the ones for Dalton and Kaepernick: high-dollar but with an easy escape for the team. Because the Niners and Bengals rightly did not want to emulate that contract. Rising cap or not, Flacco's contract is going to weigh down the Ravens for years to come.

Archived