LACon Convention Reports

Someone actually found a furry and I missed it! Damn! There were never any furries around when we wanted some to come to the party. *is emo all over again*

I'm so emo I'm already researching things to do in Denver in 2008. Not to mention wondering how many regional cons we can fit into ye olde budget between now and then...

So, we're sitting outside on the patio on Sunday, hanging out, drinking, the usual. Along comes this lady who asked us who we were, what group we were with, etc. So, Stego, being Stego :) ), told her that we were a fan club, and that we had some sort of fettish for furries (the details are fuzzy). So of course she gets excited, turns around, and shows us her furry tale, complete with purrrr. Stego of course, turns bright red, and proceeds to fumble and stumble his way out of it. The rest of us were just trying to contain ourselves.

I hate to say you had to be there, because you really did. Odie's right, it was a great way to end the con.

The t-shirt selling was fun, even with the people whining about how they wanted a Stark t-shirt. When they weren't leering at Chataya's breasts.

The highlight of all the con, above being knighted, above meeting a group of really amazing people, was, for me, becoming Lodengarl's bitch. I for one, will never be the same... oh the memories...

It was something like "We're a diverse fan group, focusing on furries" or something like that. Then as he stumbled he mentioned "plankies" which I will let him explain. I forget if that's people who have sex with potted plants or people who have sex with trees :rofl:

Mandy,

I imagine we'll have something in the US around the time of Worldcon 2007. I know George is the guest of honor at the Durham, NC convention right before the Japan thing

Barring some horrible family emergency I will be in Raliegh. I just discovered a friend from undergrad who is also an attorney is a Martin fan (he named his daughter Catelyn.) I might try to drag him along as well.

Someone actually found a furry and I missed it! Damn! There were never any furries around when we wanted some to come to the party. *is emo all over again*

I'm so emo I'm already researching things to do in Denver in 2008. Not to mention wondering how many regional cons we can fit into ye olde budget between now and then...

We did manage to entice a Furry about 4 feet into the suiteon Friday night... But she sensed danger and bolted. (Damn!)

The goal at the front door (as determined by Mouse- who is wise like that) was to get as many *interesting* people into our party as possible. This naturally had to include a Furry and a Klingon. We got a Plushy in- some guy with a well worn pink animal strapped to his arm- but did not see any Klingons. What's up with that?

I heard from a noted Klingon authority ( ;) ) that there has been some kind of meltdown in Klingondom. Maybe they've all killed each other in their fury and hate?

The same Klingon authority also suggested that it may have been the abundance of Starfleet officers in attendance that may have scared them off.

Well, I must say, the Con didn't start out so well for me. I swear, there are quite a few obese and smelly people at Cons.

My day started out with a nice 5 hour drive from NorCal to SoCal. As soon as I got settled into my room at the Hilton, the first thing I did was call Lodey. He was kinda groggy when he spoke to me, but said that the Meet & Greet was at 1:00. He didn't say where, so I assumed the Convention Center. I was wrong, but didn't know that yet.

I was in the CC for all of 5 minutes, when up walks George. He asked if I was going to the M&G, and I said yes, and that I was looking for it. He said that it was back at the Hilton. Whew! I 'd have been lost at the CC had I not found George.

The M&G was fun, the highlight of which ( for me ) was when Lodey announced that I was in the back. Half the audience ( I may be exagerating ) stood up to get a glimpse of the Dirjj.

I didn't run into the group again until the evening, which was cool . . .but I did miss the Mideval Times Dinner. Believe it or not, I was babysitting.

It was really exciting to be able to meet so many folks who I've only known by written word.

The was :

Ser Sean - he's a big fokker

Zollo - he's a tall fokker, but one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Ser Ilyn Payne - He was way cool

Ser Prod "Grogmash" - was a nice guy too

That Hedge Knight Levandis - He's the funniest guy you'll ever meet. He was my sidekick on Friday and Saturday night

Rhelle - What can I say, she was a real sweeheart

Chataya - A really nice hot chick. Funny too.

Mak - See above heh heh

Sophelia - Another sweet girl. It was a pleasure speaking with her.

Daremo - He was cool. Kinda reminded me of Dan the Wizard

Stego - He was a cuddly teddy bear

Cuellar - He was nice. Hmm, don't remember is he was Indian or Pakistani. Oh well, let God sort it out ::wink::

Ser Paddy - Didn't talk to him much, but when I did . . .he was cool. For some reason, I kept wanting to grab his guitar and smash it upon a staircase.

Ser Hooie "Jesus" - Another nice fellow. Really mellow. He and Lev formed Team UCLA during the trivia contest

Coyotes Daughter - What a doll

Skylark the Red - One of the reasons why the BWB is always the best looking group at the Cons.

Balefont - Another lovely lady. It was funny how we met. The beer was in the bathtub, and when I went to get a refill, the door was closed, so I'd assumed that someone was in there. She walked up, and she came to the same conclusion as me. So, while we were waiting, we started chit chatting. Eventually, she told me that on the boards, she goes by the name of Balefont. I acted as if I were in awe, and mentioned that I post every once in a while myself. I was basically acting like a noob or a lurker. When she asked my name, I said Dirjj. I probably should have said some other name, because for some reason, she started puncing me. Lol . . Then, after all that, Lev just walks right past us, open the door, and walks into the bathroom to grab a beer. He didn't knock or anything. Fortunately there was no one in there.

Young Wolf - Another nice fellow.

Mandy - another sweetheart

Ran - He was pretty unassuming. Unlike his board personality . . . where his every peep is a roar. He had nice hair!

Racebannon - It was a pleasure meeting another straight thinker from the board ::wink:;

Mormont - This guys was so cool, that I am still shocked that he banned me for a few hours once. Close your eyes, and you think you're listening to Sean Connery.

Maltaran - He was cool, and funny, but at times, his accented english was too heavy for me. Being that he took 2nd in the Trivia contest . . . I only have one thing to say . . . " He's a smart Fokker". lol...

There were tons of other people who I met, but didn't speak with much : Ser Dejamieson, Kalbear, Mich, King Jon Targaryon, Yagathai, Zakalwe7, Filippa . ... I'm sorry if there are more of you that I met. My memory is only so good with all these people I met. I must say, the BWB must have had close to 100 members there. Good looking out!!!!

Of course there were folks there that I'd met before, so I didn't feel the need to comment on them: King Pod, Caress of Cersei, Lodengarl, Mouse, Aghrivaine, Teliasane, & Bronn

ab

We did manage to entice a Furry about 4 feet into the suite on Friday night... But she sensed danger and bolted. (Damn!)

Indeed! She was pink, and fuzzy! She was a.... bunny? or a cat? or... something.... pink and fuzzy.... with a tail?

Other tales from the front door of the open party include....

....fellow-door-greeter Watcher One *repeatedly* inviting guests into the "Brotherhood Without *Borders* party." We had to keep correcting him, because in his drunken state he didn't even realize he was doing it!

....lady who told me her life story, and then wanted to take over door greeting duty. I thought maybe she had a crush on me, but it turns out she told everyone at the party her life story.

....getting snubbed by potential party-goers who refused to come in the front door because George writes too slowly for their tastes.

<beats down dirj>

you muther fucker

Now, we're not specifying as to who's mother are we? I mean, because if it's mine, then that's not cool. . . but if it's say. . ."Stacy's Mom" who by the way, has it going on . . . then I'd say that you're complimenting me. Thanks :D

ab

okay so here goes, this shit is *long* and i'm getting carpal from typing...

Monday...We got in and checked in to the hotel to learn that the last person in the room had disconnected all the phones, so no phone and no internet. No, just plugging everything back in didn't do the trick. Spent a couple hours on the phone trying to solve this. Played phone and text tag with Rhelle, Mya, and Dub. Went for food and booze, then back to the room. While we were gone they fixed the phones and internet. Mya called to say they were still there so they were invited up. We ended up with.. mya, dub, lev, prod, malt, pod, egg, bh, brad and myself in our room. We drank, listened to the different accents. Dubbed Prod as Grogmosh Longspear since Prod wasn't viking enough. Later on we went to the hotel bar and met up with George for more drinks and chatting. Got to annoy/bore the euros with NFL talk. Good times were had.

Tuesday...Woke up and wandered around the Con, registered, volunteered with Elgernon for around an hour or so before realizing he was from the board. Went back to the room, ended up back on the lanai level for more drinking with Rhelle and the newcomers.

Wednesday...Was boring me wise. Went furry hunting to no avail, hit the dealers room, picked up the con shirts and began folding them, then napped and had a quiet hotel room night.

Thursday...woke up, waited for paddy to get in, met him in the hotel lobby, saw sean and zak, waited while paddy got all cleaned up, hit the BWB BwB Meet and Greet the room was packed, and the 'panelists' needed microphones. The room was interrupted at one point by the sound of beer cans being opened :lol: then it was back to the patio for more drinking, then it was off to Medieval Times Jon Targaryen was awesome and gave Mandy, LacyB, Brad and myself a lift there. The event itself consisted of people screaming things like YELLOW! SLUT! WHORE! SHOW US YOUR TITS! VIVA LA FRANCE! Getting shushed by the staff, having glowy sword fights, apple pie fights and taking group pics. Afterwards it was back to the hotel lanai deck for more drinking, ocassionally interrupted by people screaming things like (see above) and of course more sword fights. Most people went to bed around 5ish. Zollo, Pod and I did breakfast and then con wandering. We learned that at 8am there ARE people, a lot of people, that watch Star Trek episodes being aired 24 hours...scary. Then it was off to bed for a couple hours to prepare for...

...see next post :)

Friday...woke up, and waited for the storm of people that were chess helpers and participants to arrive at our room to get into costume and just to get generally organized for the Chess Match. Mya was unable to make it because of things that came up at home. Ro saved the day by jumping in and organizing us and generally getting the ball rolling while BH dealt with the room setup etc. The chess match was great. Randyl Tarly was a pimp. Stego looked hawt in his dress. Linda was incredibly gorgeous. Ran looked amazing as Oberyn. The sandsnakes went raiding for beer. Dorne won. George played Dorne. All was right in the world. After the chess match we went on the Tattoo Party participants were: Ghosts Companion, Lany Cassandra, Mormont, Odie, Prod, Xray, and myself. Maid Sansa and Watcher came along for company. We were there for a long long time. Highlights, little tarts getting hood piercings and screaming really loud when it happened, Prod getting his first tattoo, Xray and Lany getting us pizza for our dinner. I was last. Xray waited with me. I love xray :love: We left after being there for around 5 1/2 hours. Then it was time for the BwB Private Party we arrived late, there was lots and lots of people there. I drank and hung out with Brad and Veira on the patio. Veira is awesome. Veira is normal. I love Veira too :love:. Then George lorded, ladied, princed, princessed, and kinged peoples. There was applause and bowing and speeches to be had. Next he announced the knights quest. They were to go to Pinks and bring back food ordered by the nobles. The took a long time. We drank more. They came back and were knighted. I chatted with peoples, napped on the nice comfy cushions in the shadow bar and woke up to a sing along on the patio. The sing a long was interrupted by a mean security guard that suggested 6ish am was a bad time in a hotel to be noisy. I went to bed :)

Saturday...woke up, had peoples come visit, started drinking, bounced on Paddy's bed until he woke up. Checked out the party suite, got changed for the party suite, went to the BwB Public Party drank more (seeing a pattern here?) then went to the Hugo Awards with Brad, Jaime Simms, Lodey, Jo, Raya, and Pod. They sucked. Connie Willis was MC and entertaining enough. It was mentioned that George isn't surrounded by beautiful women. Asses. It was also joked about the length of time it took Feast to come out. Bigger asses. George was quoted quite a bit. In particular about winning the 'big one'. Then the bastards awarded the 'big one' to Charles Wilson. I blame the BwB. Fuckers should have done your voting dammit!!!! :tantrum: Then sadly we trudged back to the party. I ranted while Xray listened and made me feel better. From here it gets hazy. It was a big mix of bartending/drinking/smoking/mingling/more bartending. Until some mean bad con person thing MADE us go inside our suite and wouldn't let us out for even a cigarette :tantrum:. Needless to say it was back to the lanai deck! where we continued drinking and chatting. Brad wnt to bed. Bad things were almost done to him. He was saved from that thankfully. Zollo fell asleep. Bad things were done to him. Really bad things. Someone has pictures...

Sunday...the leftovers of Saturday went for breakfast. It was good, it was food. Food is good :) Zollo and I hung out for a bit then went to get Brad and Paddy for our day at Disneyland! Z chickened out and went to bed instead of coming along. We have learned costumed Disney furries are just as elusive as con furries. Wanted to see Tigger and didn't. It should be noted: Paddy and Brad giggled like little kids at the sight of Stitch and got their photo taken with him. Twice. We went on rides. California Screamer is the best roller coaster ever. Soaring over California is amazing. Splashworks was made by people on a bad acid trip with a big love of furries. Space mountain is awesome. We went back to the hotel, we drank, we were emo, we said our goodbyes and went to bed.

Monday...left around 7ish in the morning to the airport. Sat around. Sat around more. Boarded our plane and got upgraded!!! *dances* we had leg room! real actual leg room and full business class service. It was cool. The first thing they did was gave us a bottle of water! Yes folks, water! I guess you only have to be rich enough to afford the good seats to drink on a plane. Business food is bad. Airline peoples don't leave you alone for pretty much the whole flight...but we had leg room!!! :D

...the end

Archived