Police Thread Continued

KiDisaster

So did I. The guy said he was doing that so it automatically becomes true right?

ETA : I don't really care so carry on.

If you didn't care you wouldn't have responded.

And I don't even know how to respond to your first statement. What exactly makes this man untrustworthy in your eyes? What did he do to warrant this response?

Why is it suspicious that he said that? I've sat near a school waiting for my kids to get out of school. What is wrong about that? What makes that behavior particularly suspicious? Why should I cooperate with police when I have done absolutely nothing wrong and am not acting in a particularly suspicious way?

Don't know if anyone has posted this already, but damn this pisses me off

http://reason.com/blog/2014/08/19/georgia-county-wont-pay-medical-bills-fo

Earlier this year, we brought you the story of Baby Bounkham, who was severely injured after a Georgia SWAT team threw a flashbang grenade that landed inside Bounkham's crib—cops were serving a drug warrant based on information from a confidential informant about a small amount of meth. The raid yielded no drugs and no suspect. Cops insisted they did what they could to prepare and didn't know there were children in the house, two seemingly contradictory contentions. The sad case illustrates the interplay between the war on drugs, militarized police, and police brutality.

The story didn't elicit national outrage, and a friend of the family raised just $38,000 in two months to cover Boumkham's medical bills. They're going to need more than that, as the county government has ruled it would be a "violation of the law" for it to pick up the medical costs their officers created the necessity for.

WSB-TV reports:

Habersham County's attorney provided the following statement, saying: "The question before the board was whether it is legally permitted to pay these expenses. After consideration of this question following advice of counsel, the board of commissioners has concluded that it would be in violation of the law for it to do so."

The attorney for Boo Boo's family insists that is not good enough.

Dafuq??

I'm starting to think that the only reasonable solution to some of the police issues is to automatically charge every shooting as a felony and assume that every shooting is precisely equivalent to any other shooting as a crime. And then let it go through the court system just like everything else.

Bet police unions would be very happy to be getting a camera recording of their shootings after that.

I'm starting to think that the only reasonable solution to some of the police issues is to automatically charge every shooting as a felony and assume that every shooting is precisely equivalent to any other shooting as a crime. And then let it go through the court system just like everything else.

Bet police unions would be very happy to be getting a camera recording of their shootings after that.

I can't help but feel like anyone who proposed such a law would end up dead, killed as a regrettable consequence of their own unreasonable behavior during a "routine traffic stop" when the dash cam just happened to be turned off.

what chance do you think you would have of getting police to carry guns, or even serve? there is a happy medium, however from the various threads on here it seems that american police get away with jaw dropping levels of unjustified violence on a daily basis.

I think that police not carrying guns would be an amazingly decent consequence of that rule.

Similarly, the officers who would refuse to serve because if they killed someone they would be tried as potential felons seem like precisely the kind of police officers that I would be happy to see gone. I'm not seeing this as a big problem, actually. I want officers who want to prove to the world beyond any unreasonable doubt that when they do a shooting that shooting is a just one, and want to have as much evidence as possible to show that.

what chance do you think you would have of getting police to carry guns, or even serve? there is a happy medium, however from the various threads on here it seems that american police get away with jaw dropping levels of unjustified violence on a daily basis.

You

California prosecutors have declined to file charges against a sheriff's deputy who struck and killed a prominent entertainment attorney and former Napster executive with his patrol car last year.

Deputy Andrew Wood was apparently distracted by his mobile digital computer when his patrol car drifted into the bike lane, running over cyclist Milton Olin Jr.

Prosecutors said in a letter released Wednesday and cited by Los Angeles Daily News that because Wood was acting within the course of his duties when typing into his computer, criminal charges are not warranted.

Under the law, law enforcement officials are allowed to use electronic wireless devices while carrying out their duties.

Have

A woman who called 911 during an argument with her boyfriend has filed a civil rights lawsuit against the Denver Police Department, claiming that officers inappropriately searched her home and then beat and arrested her when she objected to the search.

In the suit, Patricia Lucero claims DPD officers Marika Putnam and Kenneth Starbuck slammed her into walls and an elevator door while applying a painful joint lock using a police-issue nunchaku.

No

Miami, Oklahoma police officer Teresa Lashmet will not spend any time in jail after admitting that she committed perjury to cover up the brutal beating of a motorist that was caught on a dashcam video. Ottawa County Judge Bill Culver on Tuesday imposed a sentence of unsupervised probation for three years, deferred, and a $300 fine after she entered a plea of no contest to a charge of "outraging public decency."

Idea

Former Springfield police officer Jason Shuck has offered to plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge in the shooting of an unarmed man in May.

The proposed deal with Greene County prosecutors would leave Shuck, 35, who resigned earlier this month from the police department, with no criminal record if he successfully completed two years of unsupervised probation.

A woman's 14 year old daughter becomes violent during an argument - so violent her 19 year old sister calls 911. The police arrive and one of them begins searching the house. When the mother asks why, the policeman says, "I'll be happy to leave and then you can deal with this shit by yourself."

Uh-oh. Mom questioned the po-po. Bad move. So the police begin to leave in a huff.

As the police are leaving, the 14 year old attempts to leave. Mom lightly pushes her back. The police arrest Mom for domestic battery, leaving the 19 year old who called the cops in the first place alone with the violent 14 year old. The 19 year old recorded the video when she saw events heading south.

Nuts.

A woman's 14 year old daughter becomes violent during an argument - so violent her 19 year old sister calls 911. The police arrive and one of them begins searching the house. When the mother asks why, the policeman says, "I'll be happy to leave and then you can deal with this shit by yourself."

Uh-oh. Mom questioned the po-po. Bad move. So the police begin to leave in a huff.

As the police are leaving, the 14 year old attempts to leave. Mom lightly pushes her back. The police arrest Mom for domestic battery, leaving the 19 year old who called the cops in the first place alone with the violent 14 year old. The 19 year old recorded the video when she saw events heading south.

Nuts.

wow.

thanks for protecting and serving us Officer Humpty Dumpty.

Nuts.

I really feel bad for all the good cops. But too many cops join the force for the power that the badge gives them. What's crazy is that these guys undergo psychological tests. Maybe police departments use these tests to weed out the sane people?

Yep, he felt his absolute power was questioned and took any excuse to show that woman who's boss. Greatest crime you can commit is not worshiping the cops. Guess she's lucky he didn't shoot her.

There was an interesting article in one of the newspapers here in the UK that looked at how guns are used by the police here in London. Unfortunately it's behind a paywall so I can't give you a link to the full article, but if you do subscribe to the Sunday Times I'd highly recommend giving it a read: http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/Magazine/article1449682.ece.

A few interesting tidbits:

- Police officers are very strongly against proposed regulations that would forbid them from conferring with each other to get their facts straight after a shooting incident. The article argued that it is basically impossible to recall all facts of a high-pressure situation accurately (and provided some evidence to back that assertion up). Police officers interviewed for the article said that unless they got the basic facts straight beforehand (like "did I go round the right or left side of the car", that sort of thing), they were liable to being picked apart on the witness stand and their testimonies essentially rendered worthless. Haven't been in a courtroom so I don't know how regularly that happens...

- There's a trial going on in London that involves putting cameras on the guns that armed police carry, police are cautiously positive but are once again afraid that defence lawyers will use inconsistencies between police accounts and the camera footage to discredit them.

- There have been 9 incidents involving fatal shootings by the London Metropolitan Police in the past 10 years. The article went through them and found there were two that were up for debate legality-wise - Jean Charles de Menezes around the time of the 7/7 bombings, and Mark Duggan, whose death set off the riots in London a few years back.

It was interesting to read the article in light of having read through the documented atrocities listed in this thread. Undoubtedly it glossed over some problems since the reporting was very much from a police perspective (I know the Met does not have a particularly clean reputation, and it would be interesting to read something from the other side of the aisle), but the scale of the numbers involved seemed much more acceptable to me than what keeps coming out of the US. Glad to live in the UK, I guess...

ST

Archived