Martin says he's "Reached a point in the story where he was a lot more flexibility for killing people."

Cold Crashing Waves

Although tragic and outright revolting, I think Arianne might die in something akin to an invasion of King's Landing. I'd be surprised if she does survive, pleasantly. I see no point in her death as well, to be honest.

That's the thing though. I have a hard time coming up with any plausible scenario, at least from my end, where I can imagine her dying. Nobody, not even Daenerys were Arianne to marry to Aegon, has a particular need or desire to kill her. Sure, she could die in some random attack but how would that serve the story? And who would be there to document it? Will she die in her own point-of-view?

Yeah, and never more true than it is re: Jon.

If any one character is The Hero, it's Jon. Thus one way or another Robb had to get out of his way

It really seems like Jon and Dany to me, but if I had to pick one I would pick Dany, not Jon. She has come the longest and hardest trail and has the clearest path to herodom. And dragons.

To be fair, Robb himself was never a main character... In fact, Robb's importance came much more from his cause and his siblings than himself. In that regard, one can argue that Robb had to die, if only to free his siblings from depending on him and allowing their development. Both Arya and Sansa's characterization is especially tied to the fact that they have nowhere to go. Sansa even thinks at the beginning of Feast that she has no one else to turn to, except Petyr Baelish. Therefore, Robb's death had to happen. If Sansa/Arya/Dany die now, what's the point? I'd say Dany's safe until Westeros, and both Arya and Sansa are safe until their arcs move forward. As George himself said, he's been made too much of a killer of main characters, when truly, the only main character he killed was Cat, after Ned's execution.

Yes finally someone else is realizing this. One thing that I noticed is that GRRM does not really kill too many pov characters. For some reason people have the stupid notion that he kills lot of the pov characters but he does not. Only exception being prologue and epilogue but excluding that only pov characters he killed were Eddard, Catelyn, Arys Oakheart and Quentyn so that is only 4 characters in 5 books. And Arys Oakheart was like a minor pov character who only had one chapter where it wasn't even his name. So basically 3 main pov characters. So if Martin says he would kill lot more pov characters, 3 is a big number since in 5 books he only killed 4 pov characters where 1 of them was very minor.

I would say the characters that have the most likely chance of dying are Brienne, Victarion, Aeron, Theon, Asha, Jaimie, Jon Connington and sadly Arianne. Out of them I can see 3 or 4 of them dying at max.

I definitely think he will live enough to meet Jon.

Why other reason Martin would name to PoV the same? Specially if one of those pov was in love with the other's father and it's also thinking he's raising his fake son? He's going to meet the real one at some point.

I think Jon Con will meet someone much more interesting before he meets Jon if he ever does, but he is a great character. The only thing I am sure of is that Tyrion and Cersei have no plot purpose, Arya is approaching dead end and Doran Martell is my personal god. However, I love Mance the best. Long may he reign! :-)

First of all, more characters dieing, less characters having annoying cliffhangers with miraculous recoveries. Yay! Kill 'em all, Drowned God/R'hollor/Father/Black Goat will recognize their own.

That said, I see people still haven't caught up on Theon's foreshadowings. He's not dieing anytime soon.

How will this take place though? Do you expect Daenerys to execute Arianne? I have a difficult time envisioning a scenario where she is in the thick of battle.

Dany fights her, defeats her, and feeds her to Drogon seems plausible enough to me.

Dany fights her, defeats her, and feeds her to Drogon seems plausible enough to me.

I just find that terribly unlikely. Daenerys would have no need to kill her and little desire to do so. Especially if she believes that Arianne has been deceived by Aegon and Varys.

Nothing new here, but I appreciate this panel, for the both authors seemed at ease and forthcoming; not the usual "for the press" sort of interviews.

Dead PoVs =/= Death of the narrating character, although there's a high probability for that.

The story is getting more condensed and palpably interconnected and that's something to be excited about.

I do wonder whether we actually need both Arianne and JonC from the same location - the former being the main Dornish PoV character, and the latter having a rather colourful insight to both the brimming imminent thronegaming and valuable information regarding Robert's Rebellion, Rhae Rhae and the women JonC deemed unworthy. :D Arianne is certainly present in TWoW, she's confirmed (for a while anyways) unlike JonC.

Jaime could come first when Brienne and him arrive to the BwB lair. Theon is more important than Asha. Victarion is a goner, and Aeron could raise to prominence -

Highgarden is set to make an appearance and so is Willas

and seeing as there are no new PoVs planned, I could see Aeron and Theon carrying the torch for the Ironborn.

Tyrion and Barristan will spar, Dany being away and all, even though it would seem everybody think Selmy is soon to be dead, but he's is so important, with his history - he's a good window into the past.

I'm sure Arianne will bring House Martell to the peak of its power, as Aegon's queen, and then be their downfall. I think she's doomed.

Brienne will sacrifice herself to save Jaime. Jon Con only wants a heroic death. Mel will die fighting the Others. Cersei is doomed, but not quite yet. Vic and/or Barristan are surplus to requirements. I wouldn't be surprised if either Sansa or Bran went down.

The big four will be around to close to the end of ADOS.

I think you're the first to mention Cersei, and it took 4 pages. Once Tommen and Myrcella are killed, Jaime will probably kill her soon after.

Everybody here is only talking about the POV's. What about Stannis?

I just find that terribly unlikely. Daenerys would have no need to kill her and little desire to do so. Especially if she believes that Arianne has been deceived by Aegon and Varys.

Targaryens can be very vicious to each other. Suppose Dany invades, Aegon and Arianne resist, and someone dear to Dany is killed. Why wouldn't she take revenge?

Barristan will die as soon he meets up with fAegon. Selmy has shit for honor (he'll serve anybody with a title) so flipping sides is no big deal for him, especially if Septa Lemore turns out to be Ashara Dayne. He'll rationalize it to himself that fAegon is who he really should be guarding.

Might even be one of Dany's men or dragons that kill him, Gods know she'll never look a man in the eyes and swing the sword herself.

Joffrey sending Selmy away was actually a decent call, the man willingly served the Mad King and Joffrey.

It just so happens that my fav character is probably the biggest wild card for living or dying by the end of this series. Davos should be safe as long as Rickon is AWOL, but once he gets found I don't much like his chances of surviving, especially given he is in the north.

Besides the usual "which character will die/live", I am very positive about that "news" on a meta-level: I have the reasonable hope that as soon as GRRM starts to get rid of a significant amount of POVs, the writing process will be much easier/more fluent for WOW and DOS. Plus the story itself will become much more stringent again and there will be a less chance of a future clusterfuck like the Meerenense knot :).

I think GRRM is really pushing it. I am optimistic :)

It just so happens that my fav character is probably the biggest wild card for living or dying by the end of this series. Davos should be safe as long as Rickon is AWOL, but once he gets found I don't much like his chances of surviving, especially given he is in the north.

Davos probably won't, GRRM loves to torture people and Davos has suffered a lot by losing so many sons.

Barristan is a goner. I don't think he will get more POVs than the two confirmed ones.

I also think that Victarion will survive TWoW (but not ADoS).

I think Dany, Victarion and Tyrion will be mainly at seperate locations but they will communicate by flying back and forth with their dragons.

JonCon and Arianne obviously will not stick together.

I also think that Asha will not get a POV in TWoW and die soon.

I think Bran will send the Hammer of Waters to Pyke at some point and kill Aeron but that will most probably be in ADoS.

Archived