Legend of Korra continued - season finale SPOILERS

felice

I like the Lavabending through friction idea. That happens damn quick. Hell, when they are at that level they should also be able to bend water as there's always going to be minor impurities in there. It definitely puts Earth bending on the top again. There's only really blood bending that can top it.

I think what's interesting is that "spirituality" in terms of mastering airbending essentially means not giving a shit about anyone. The air nomads generally seem to be pretty caring. Maybe if the nomads had to be celibate there'd be a chance. Hopefully they explore this "caring" as a weakness further. Maybe the point is that it's easier to be an insane megalomanical bender (pretty much all the kick ass villains in this world) than to be a benevolent master bender,

I like the Lavabending through friction idea. That happens damn quick. Hell, when they are at that level they should also be able to bend water as there's always going to be minor impurities in there. It definitely puts Earth bending on the top again. There's only really blood bending that can top it.

I'll always be a firebending fanboy. Firebending is constantly undersold in LoK, probably because firebending was so strong in ATLA and because Mako is the least popular character of the new team.

I think what's interesting is that "spirituality" in terms of mastering airbending essentially means not giving a shit about anyone. The air nomads generally seem to be pretty caring. Maybe if the nomads had to be celibate there'd be a chance. Hopefully they explore this "caring" as a weakness further. Maybe the point is that it's easier to be an insane megalomanical bender (pretty much all the kick ass villains in this world) than to be a benevolent master bender,

I like it, it makes sense that there are only a few people who achieve this. I hope they don't undermine it in the next season.

So, any ideas on how The Red Lotus had been able to learn of/develop the poison and why were they so sure that it would work, despite their lack of opportunity to test it beforehand? For that matter, if it had been invented by somebody else back in the past, how were _they_ able to test it?

Also, making Unalaq into a former member of the group, who turned on them seems a bit clumsy. I mean, how comes that they didn't rat him out? And why did he turn on them? Was it because he got a "better idea" about opening the spirit portals and freeing Vaatu? Was it because Korra was his niece?

Speaking of lightening-bending - yea, making it into a factory job back in season 1 was a very poor decision, since not only did it mean that Mako should be able to do it, but that he should be able to do it quickly and easily. I mean, it is one thing when a new technique is invented and becomes wide-spread, like metal-bending. People weren't doing it before, because they didn't know that it could be done and how to do it. But lightning was a _known_ technique that was difficult to perform and bending doesn't sound like something that can be easily streamligned or simplified. And yes, I have been wondering at multiple points why Mako didn't use lightning when fighting water-benders. Not just in this season, but also in the previous one. It wouldn't have had to be killing-strength either - he didn't kill Amon with it, after all, so it can be used as a taser.

As to lava-bending, a good fire-bender should have been able to counter-act it by sucking out the heat, as seen with Sozin and volcano. I kinda expected Mako to do it, but Bolin becoming a lava-bender was a better solution, I agree.

Veltigar, I agree that they should have killed Tonraq. But otherwise, I really liked this finale. Particularly, how so many different characters mattered in it. Heck, even rank-and-file airbenders got to chip in. Which is why I think that it is a really nicely-done subversion and improvment on ATLA, where the finales were down to Gaang duelling the villains, with occasional help from Iroh, and other characters didn't really matter beyond inspiring the Gaang to greater efforts by their desperate straits, or proving their awesomeness by falling before them like bowling-pins. Ahem. So, yea, it is a comment on ATLA finale, but very much not a repetition and, IMHO, quite superior to it.

EDIT: That reminds me, Zaheer is only the second airbender to achieve flight. There were loads of airbenders strong enough, but they failed because they lacked Zaheer's spirituality. In other words, to unlock flight one needs to reach a certain kind of spiritual level. That's more in tune with Iroh's explanation of lightning bending in ATLA.

I want to know how flight was discovered. What made Laghima go down that path given all the air nomads we've seen are so kind and caring?

Reminds me of that guru in ATLA. He said something about letting go of your loved ones as well. Shit, I wonder if he got that from Laghima.

Speaking of, what happened to firebending? Seriously, it was the shit back in TLA and now its the seemingly weakest bending out of what we have seen. Granted, the only main firebenders we have seen are Mako, who is disliked by most of the fanbase and is only above-average, there's Zuko who is way past his prime, and P'Li who only used her head (seriously, couldn't she combine the combustion thing with regular firebending? Wouldn't that be more effective?)

I hope we get to see the Fire Nation next season, its the only glaring omission from the show so far, and perhaps for good reason but its really sad to see the fire nation/culture/bending getting shafted as a whole.

On the poison: I figured poisoning the avatar had happened at some point in the past and they knew what would happen if an avatar got poisoned. Zaheer is nothing if not studious. It's not that it needed to get tested - it's that someone tried to poison the avatar but it 'backfired' and just forced the avatar into the Avatar State.

The only disappointing thing for me is that Korra is once again the person needing to be rescued. I really don't like that thematically, even if the way they rescued her worked fairly well.

Speaking of, what happened to firebending? Seriously, it was the shit back in TLA and now its the seemingly weakest bending out of what we have seen. Granted, the only main firebenders we have seen are Mako, who is disliked by most of the fanbase and is only above-average, there's Zuko who is way past his prime, and P'Li who only used her head (seriously, couldn't she combine the combustion thing with regular firebending? Wouldn't that be more effective?)

I hope we get to see the Fire Nation next season, its the only glaring omission from the show so far, and perhaps for good reason but its really sad to see the fire nation/culture/bending getting shafted as a whole.

I agree. I think the showrunners were afraid of making it too fire-centric, since ATLA focused so heavy on fire. Waterbending has been way to heavily focused on imo, while firebending has been cut to a bare minimum.

I'd like Book 4 to go to the Fire Nation.

The only disappointing thing for me is that Korra is once again the person needing to be rescued. I really don't like that thematically, even if the way they rescued her worked fairly well.

Wow, thinking about it, you're totally right. Korra does need to be rescued a lot. Aang was captured three times if I recall (all in book 1), and escaped once completely on his own.

Veltigar, I agree that they should have killed Tonraq. But otherwise, I really liked this finale. Particularly, how so many different characters mattered in it. Heck, even rank-and-file airbenders got to chip in. Which is why I think that it is a really nicely-done subversion and improvment on ATLA, where the finales were down to Gaang duelling the villains, with occasional help from Iroh, and other characters didn't really matter beyond inspiring the Gaang to greater efforts by their desperate straits, or proving their awesomeness by falling before them like bowling-pins. Ahem. So, yea, it is a comment on ATLA finale, but very much not a repetition and, IMHO, quite superior to it.

Oh, I liked Korra's finale well enough. I was disappointed, but that was more because the rest of this season was great and the finale was just good. I focused mainly on the negatives in my longer review, but there were a lot of excellent aspects to the finale. Like I said, the animation was a marvel and so was the fight choreography. The voice-acting was great and I liked the callback to ATLA.

The only thing that was really lacking was the writing imo. They could have done so many awesome things, in fact they had a whole season of build-up that seemed to hint at greatness, and then we got what we got. Unfortunetaly, that seems like a tradition of the ATLA/LoK franchise really. With the exception of ATLA: book one, the final two episodes were never the best of the season. Heck, I'd go even further, most of the times the finales weren't even contenders for that position.

As to comparing this finale with the one of ATLA: book three, I'd say that ATLA is still better. There is no denying that Zaheer vs. Korra was a better (and more satisfying) fight than Aang vs. Ozai. However what made the finale of ATLA so great was all the other things. The resolution of Zuko's arc, who was always more interesting than Aang imho, was the real heart of that episode. Katara and him fighting Azula (the real Zaheer equivalent), followed by his seeming sacrifice was the culmination of the greatest character arc of the entire ATLA/LoK franchise. The animation and fight choreography was as good as what we got in Korra, but the emotional impact was greater and it was a lot more dignified (They weren't ridiculing Azula).

So, any ideas on how The Red Lotus had been able to learn of/develop the poison and why were they so sure that it would work, despite their lack of opportunity to test it beforehand? For that matter, if it had been invented by somebody else back in the past, how were _they_ able to test it?

Also, making Unalaq into a former member of the group, who turned on them seems a bit clumsy. I mean, how comes that they didn't rat him out? And why did he turn on them? Was it because he got a "better idea" about opening the spirit portals and freeing Vaatu? Was it because Korra was his niece?

I think Kalbear is probably right, someone had probably tried to kill an avatar with mercury already. The Lotus just wanted to replicate the experiment.

And I agree that the mention of Unakaka wasn't the best move of the writers.

Speaking of lightening-bending - yea, making it into a factory job back in season 1 was a very poor decision, since not only did it mean that Mako should be able to do it, but that he should be able to do it quickly and easily. I mean, it is one thing when a new technique is invented and becomes wide-spread, like metal-bending. People weren't doing it before, because they didn't know that it could be done and how to do it. But lightning was a _known_ technique that was difficult to perform and bending doesn't sound like something that can be easily streamligned or simplified. And yes, I have been wondering at multiple points why Mako didn't use lightning when fighting water-benders. Not just in this season, but also in the previous one. It wouldn't have had to be killing-strength either - he didn't kill Amon with it, after all, so it can be used as a taser.

Oh snap, I forgot the bold part. Now it's definitely a plothole that he never attempted to use it before.

As to lava-bending, a good fire-bender should have been able to counter-act it by sucking out the heat, as seen with Sozin and volcano. I kinda expected Mako to do it, but Bolin becoming a lava-bender was a better solution, I agree.

IIRC Sozin wasn't exactly moving fast and nimble while sucking the heat out of the lava. I don't think that particular move would have been practical in a fight with a lavabender. I do feel that a good firebender should be able to get something out of the lava though. Like more powerful flames or another boon.

I want to know how flight was discovered. What made Laghima go down that path given all the air nomads we've seen are so kind and caring?

Reminds me of that guru in ATLA. He said something about letting go of your loved ones as well. Shit, I wonder if he got that from Laghima.

I think the likeliest explanation is that the Airnomads have always been looking for detachment. They are based on Budhist monks after all. Laghima is just the only one that met all three conditions for flight. Firstly, he was a great airbending master, so he had the skill. Secondly, he reached true detachment, something that was very rare. And finally, he was the only one daft enough to jump off a cliff and try to levitate.

Firebending looks much weaker than anything else on Korra. It's almost on the level of waterbending in ATLA: book one. That's a flaw really.

I agree. Another thing that I'd like to see for once is an earthbending main villain (please Suyin go for it next season). With Ghazan and the Dai li we have seen some great minor earthbending villains, but no big antagonist so far. ATLA had Zuko and Azula for firebending, LoK had Amon and Unawhat'shisface for waterbending and Zaheer for airbending.

I agree. I think the showrunners were afraid of making it too fire-centric, since ATLA focused so heavy on fire. Waterbending has been way to heavily focused on imo, while firebending has been cut to a bare minimum.

:agree: It's a damn shame.

One thing to consider is that most Firebending fights we see are inside cities and enclosed spaces. Not the best areas to let loose.

There may also be a shame associated with flamboyant Firebending. That was the mark of the main villains it ATLA, whereas the good Firebenders are always shown to have smaller blasts. Mako, despite being an excellent Firebender, may be more influenced by JeongJeongs ideas, as well as a cultural shame at the damage Firebending can do, and has done in the past.

As for Amon, Mako went for the kill, but Amon can psychically divert bending. That's why he survived. Amon was very clear that Mako was incredibly powerful to even pull it off. He's one of three people who managed to bend when under the control of a Bloodbender.

And I really don't mind lightning becoming more common. I do mind that Mako didn't even think to use it till the end.

I know what you mean, but I think Korra having to be rescued underlines one of the main themes of this show. I'm going to paraphrase the reviewers from sourcefednerd (check their reviews for Korra out, they are usually very good) now. Basically, Korra's identity hinches on her being the avatar. Where Aang was reluctant to be the Avatar, Korra relishes the fact that she is.

And that makes sense really, Korra has always known she was the avatar. She was raised by the White Lotus to be the perfect avatar. She was also an incredibly strong bender since childhood, a definite perk of her being the avatar. so, when book one starts, Korra is anxious to go out into the wider world and make her mark.

Since then, she has learned that she perhaps isn't needed. Every major villain so far, Amon, Unalala and now Zaheer has had their sights set on eliminating the avatar. All the villains attack the avatar in the first place, all the people they harm are just collateral damage to them. In Korra's mind, after all the stress she has had to endure, she might consider herself the problem (that's why she saw all her previous antagonists in the finale I think). Especially since other people are always needed to save her.

Even worse, Korra isn't able to stop anything this season really. The earth kingdom lies in shambles, they lost an air temple. That must have hit hard. And then at the end of the season, Tenzin (trying to be kind) announces that she needs to take the time to heal and that the air nation will take on her duties. That must have made her feel extra useless.

Mako's a hated character? Whaa? That's news to me. I would've thought he'd be a fan-favorite and what-not. Tha's crazy.

People usually hate Gary Stu's. I mean look at Mako in book one. He's a freaking prodigy, one of the absolute best in probending. He can lightning bend without any trouble, eventhough LB requires a difficult spiritual balance. He's responsible, dark and mysterious about his past. Before Korra met him, he was basically a single parent, taking care of his goofball younger brother.

And then on top it all off, he manages to get into a relationship with the show's two main female characters. Both very beautiful, powerful and talented. It's hard to relate to a character who gets everything handed to him on a silver platter. All the other characters have their difficulties to overcome. Korra struggles with being the avatar, Asami has to find her place as a non-bender (and daughter to a traitor), Bolin is a goofbal with little succes with the ladies plus he struggles with his secondary bending ability. You can even go further. Tenzin has difficulties with being the last airbender, a child of Aang and being a father. Lin has her sister troubles and the whole trouble of being a woman in power, etc.

People usually hate Gary Stu's. I mean look at Mako in book one. He's a freaking prodigy, one of the absolute best in probending. He can lightning bend without any trouble, eventhough LB requires a difficult spiritual balance. He's responsible, dark and mysterious about his past. Before Korra met him, he was basically a single parent, taking care of his goofball younger brother.

And then on top it all off, he manages to get into a relationship with the show's two main female characters. Both very beautiful, powerful and talented. It's hard to relate to a character who gets everything handed to him on a silver platter. All the other characters have their difficulties to overcome. Korra struggles with being the avatar, Asami has to find her place as a non-bender (and daughter to a traitor), Bolin is a goofbal with little succes with the ladies plus he struggles with his secondary bending ability. You can even go further. Tenzin has difficulties with being the last airbender, a child of Aang and being a father. Lin has her sister troubles and the whole trouble of being a woman in power, etc.

I can get why this would make people dislike the character. I don't get why that has made people forget he's a great bender in this thread. That he can lightning bend is no surprise. He seems exactly the kind of guy who can separate positive and negative energies.

When could Mako bend without damaging innocents or risking himself getting shocked?

Seems like he took the risk when there was no other option, but also no one else to get hurt? Regular fire-bending seems less damaging when the bender wants it to be, whereas lightning is basically guiding the current, IIRC, with no control over the results after that.

Lava bending makes sense within the context of the show, if water benders can freeeze and un freeze water, why can't earth bend heat ers up and cool down rock?

Korra, unlike Aang is a natural fighter. I don't think any of the latest season's villains could have taken her if she were operating without restraints and she probably could have taken a couple of them at once, even without the Avatar State. It's important that she never got a chance to fight the villains at full strength, since it emphasizes that her greatest strength and defining characteristic is taken away from her.

One thing to consider is that most Firebending fights we see are inside cities and enclosed spaces. Not the best areas to let loose.

There may also be a shame associated with flamboyant Firebending. That was the mark of the main villains it ATLA, whereas the good Firebenders are always shown to have smaller blasts. Mako, despite being an excellent Firebender, may be more influenced by JeongJeongs ideas, as well as a cultural shame at the damage Firebending can do, and has done in the past.

I fail to see how this is relevant to the issue. In ATLA, the most memorable firebending was done by master benders who could control the flame. Admiral Zhao's bending wasn't that impressive. Mako and the firebending members of the White Lotus have all mastered the art, so the shame associated with 'flamboyant firebending' really shouldn't be an issue.

As to the city comment, villains shouldn't care about that. And if Mako wants to have a chance against them, he needs to show some moves. Plus, if Republic city has a police force of metalbenders, they probably have a squad of bending firefighters. And the firebending white lotus members we see were mostly guards on Airbender island or the prisons of Zaheer and co. So, it shouldn't hinder them at all.

I can get why this would make people dislike the character. I don't get why that has made people forget he's a great bender in this thread. That he can lightning bend is no surprise. He seems exactly the kind of guy who can separate positive and negative energies.

Well, Mako's moves just don't show him as great bender. He seems average in every fight he's in, ATLA Zuko would have eaten him alive. That he is able to lightning bend seems like the most generous plotgift the writers could dish out. They even seem to get that, since they have downplayed Mako's ability since book one. They really cheapened the art by making it into a factoryjob and giving it to a dude who can't even properly resolve his girlfriend troubles.

Why would villains care about giant flames in a city? Because a nearby building falling on you is hardly an ideal situation in a fight. Nor is starting a large fire around you.

As for Mako's style, if anything it reminds me of Azula. A lot more graceful dodging and then landing a powerful shot at the right moment. He's certainly one of the few Firebenders we've seen who can break apart rocks with his fire blasts.

Archived