Legend of Korra continued - season finale SPOILERS

felice

Why would villains care about giant flames in a city? Because a nearby building falling on you is hardly an ideal situation in a fight. Nor is starting a large fire around you.

By that logic, you wouldn't want to firebend in a forest to. Hell, you'd only bend in a big empty space like the dessert.

As for Mako's style, if anything it reminds me of Azula. A lot more graceful dodging and then landing a powerful shot at the right moment. He's certainly one of the few Firebenders we've seen who can break apart rocks with his fire blasts.

I don't see the comparison at all really.

Can firebenders put out fires?

Even Aang, after defeating Ozai and mastering the Avatar State, used water to put out the flames ravaging the landscape right?

I don't think so, but a master firebender should be able to contain flames and have a controlled burn. After all, that was the basic of jeong jeong training with the leaf.

Why would villains care about giant flames in a city? Because a nearby building falling on you is hardly an ideal situation in a fight. Nor is starting a large fire around you.

As for Mako's style, if anything it reminds me of Azula. A lot more graceful dodging and then landing a powerful shot at the right moment. He's certainly one of the few Firebenders we've seen who can break apart rocks with his fire blasts.

That's not how I remember Azula's style. Azula dodged a lot yes, but she didn't wait for the right time to strike, she pressed the assault.

By that logic, you wouldn't want to firebend in a forest to. Hell, you'd only bend in a big empty space like the dessert.

Exactly. When Zhao did that, he started a forest fire and also burned away all his ships. I think you're remembering all the huge flames in the ATLA finale and forgetting that most of the time the attacks were smaller.

I don't see the comparison at all really.

Then I'd advise watching the first on screen pro bending match again. Exactly like Azula, Mako dodges all the attacks and lets his opponents punch themselves out. THEN he attacks.

I think the issue is not that Firebending isn't strong enough in LoK. It's just that all through ATLA we saw creative Firebending. In LoK its more creative waterbending. That makes sense. The Firebenders had 100 plus years of dominance to perfect their craft and push the boundaries. There probably was a lot less left to do for them. The Earth benders were part of a powerful nation, so had a similar situation.

Now we're seeing the Waterbenders and Airbenders catch up. So all the creative bending seems to come from them.

That's not how I remember Azula's style. Azula dodged a lot yes, but she didn't wait for the right time to strike, she pressed the assault.

See especially the crystal catacombs in Book 2 finale and Day of Black Sun (when it was enforced dodging, but still). When faced with superior opponents or numerous ones, she behaves very similar to how Mako does in similar situations.

I like the idea the firebenders suppressed the creativity/training of the other nations and that's why we see the others doing more super awesome stuff these days. If I was a Tyrant I'd certainly try and outlaw other types of bending - unless they worked for me.

Still not seeing it.

:agree:

I like the idea the firebenders suppressed the creativity/training of the other nations and that's why we see the others doing more super awesome stuff these days. If I was a Tyrant I'd certainly try and outlaw other types of bending - unless they worked for me.

Two problems with this thesis. Problem number one: The firebenders had not conquered the entire earth kingdom, nor the Northern water tribe. Fully creative benders from these areas would still be active in ATLA. Problem number two: it doesn't explain why firebending itself is now so shitty in LoK;

Two problems with this thesis. Problem number one: The firebenders had not conquered the entire earth kingdom, nor the Northern water tribe. Fully creative benders from these areas would still be active in ATLA. Problem number two: it doesn't explain why firebending itself is now so shitty in LoK;

My guess is the creators just want to showcase the destructive abilities of air. We had water in book 1 of avatar with the Northern water tribe, then we had earth with book 2, then the dragons and ancient mayan like firebenders, ozai, azula and even Sozin in book 3.

You're right about the other 3 elements being shitty.

What did we have in LOK? Bolin tossing a few rocks? Lin doing more damage with her grappling hooks than with her airbending. Suyin doing some metal bending, but other than what she did with P'li, we didn't see much of that either. We had Zaheer's gang, but all of those guys ended up dying in pretty anticlimactic ways.

I think the creators are just hoping that the fans don't notice that they're more interested in showcasing air.

Speaking of, what happened to firebending? Seriously, it was the shit back in TLA and now its the seemingly weakest bending out of what we have seen. Granted, the only main firebenders we have seen are Mako, who is disliked by most of the fanbase and is only above-average, there's Zuko who is way past his prime, and P'Li who only used her head (seriously, couldn't she combine the combustion thing with regular firebending? Wouldn't that be more effective?)

I hope we get to see the Fire Nation next season, its the only glaring omission from the show so far, and perhaps for good reason but its really sad to see the fire nation/culture/bending getting shafted as a whole.

She did, unlike her predecessor, she bended her bombs to where she wanted them to go. Also, what are you guys talking about? For all these seasons, Korra has been firebending like a boss.

Isn't Mako the only one we've seen who's both able to generate and redirect lightning? And didn't Katara say straight out that her being able to bend while held by Hama was because her bending was stronger? I think all that combined makes it clear the writers see Mako as a particularly proficient Firebender.

ETA : Yeah Korra firebends more than anything. And is incredibly destructive with it. Without Aang's memories, she chosen method of flying is with Fire, and she twists and turns while doing so in a way that puts Ozai's efforts enhanced by Sozin's comet to shame.

Isn't Mako the only one we've seen who's both able to generate and redirect lightning? And didn't Katara say straight out that her being able to bend while held by Hama was because her bending was stronger? I think all that combined makes it clear the writers see Mako as a particularly proficient Firebender.

That ganster guy did it, and I think Mako worked at a company that hired FB to redirect lighting, which is weird how such a dangerous tactic became popular even though it is only 70 years something years old.

That ganster guy did it, and I think Mako worked at a company that hired FB to redirect lighting, which is weird how such a dangerous tactic became popular even though it is only 100 years 7o something years old.

Umm no... Both Lightning Bolt Zolt and the guys in the factory were generating Lightning. Only Mako has redirected lightning in LoK.

As proof of my point about cities restricting Firebenders, watch Mako let loose at Unalaq's camp in "Harmonic Convergence". At one point he creates an incredibly long wall of flame, which seems to match almost any Firebending except during the comet in ATLA. There are pan shots of the camp where we get a look at the extent of the fire damage, and while some of that is from Bolin's bombs, most of it is Mako.

And then on top it all off, he manages to get into a relationship with the show's two main female characters.

It's funny, but Asami as first introduced didn't seem like a main character. Mako decides he doesn't want to date Korra and shows up one night with this girl who represents everything Korra isn't, the anti-Korra -- a complete non-bender, technologically based, urbane, from a wealthy household, knowledgable about beauty, fashion, etc. Now that they've gotten past the love triangle, she and Korra have this great friendship that's IMO one of the best things about the show.

People usually hate Gary Stu's. I mean look at Mako in book one. He's a freaking prodigy, one of the absolute best in probending. He can lightning bend without any trouble, eventhough LB requires a difficult spiritual balance. He's responsible, dark and mysterious about his past. Before Korra met him, he was basically a single parent, taking care of his goofball younger brother.

And then on top it all off, he manages to get into a relationship with the show's two main female characters. Both very beautiful, powerful and talented. It's hard to relate to a character who gets everything handed to him on a silver platter. All the other characters have their difficulties to overcome. Korra struggles with being the avatar, Asami has to find her place as a non-bender (and daughter to a traitor), Bolin is a goofbal with little succes with the ladies plus he struggles with his secondary bending ability. You can even go further. Tenzin has difficulties with being the last airbender, a child of Aang and being a father. Lin has her sister troubles and the whole trouble of being a woman in power, etc.

Katara was a prodigy, but no one had a problem with her. Mako's not even that good in the grand scheme of things - especially since Probending has a lot of rules and restictions. Lightning Bolt Zolt taught him lightning-bending, so it's not a shock (huehue) that he can do it with ease. And I don't think lightning generation requires as much work anymore, since factory workers are doing it for money, Iroh Jr can do it while flying, and LBZ did it constantly and for an extended period of time. Taking care of your brother isn't Gary Su-ish either.

He's supposed to be the good-looking guy that errbody knows IRL. That's basically all he's got going for him. He's a decent bender, but nothing amazing. If he appears great it's usually because he takes on low-to-average opponents. He's a former gang member who lost his parents and took up fighting to earn a living. I can agree that he doesn't really struggle with a lot throughout the series, but at the same time he doesn't really gain as much as the other characters either. Tenzin got to lead a new generation of Airbenders, Korra learned Metalbending among other things, Asami managed to keep her life on track after what happened in Book 1, Bolin got a lady and the ability to lavabend, etc. Mako stayed Mako, except now he's girlfriendless and works as a cop as opposed to a probender.

I can see people not liking him 'cause he's bland, but he's far from perfect. A Gary/Mary-sue to me is someone who is nearly perfect in every way imaginable, and Mako doesn't stand out nearly enough to fit the bill.

Katara was a prodigy, but no one had a problem with her.

I didn't hate Katara, but she was definitely my least favorite of the Gaang (though I recognized her importance).

I kind of agree with you about Mako. I liked him a lot better when the whole love triangle thing was over.

Katara was a prodigy, but no one had a problem with her.

That's because she had plenty of flaws. She was naive, arrogant, reckless (see the Amon capture scene and aftermath), unrestrained (even her bending masters said it), stubborn when it came to learning airbending from Tenzin (though Tenzin's teaching methods didn't help much).

Katara was a prodigy, but no one had a problem with her. Mako's not even that good in the grand scheme of things - especially since Probending has a lot of rules and restictions. Lightning Bolt Zolt taught him lightning-bending, so it's not a shock (huehue) that he can do it with ease. And I don't think lightning generation requires as much work anymore, since factory workers are doing it for money, Iroh Jr can do it while flying, and LBZ did it constantly and for an extended period of time. Taking care of your brother isn't Gary Su-ish either.

Katara struggled with waterbending throughout book one. We saw her work for it. On top of that, eventhough she took on a motherly role, she isn't devoid of flaws. She wants revenge on the people who wronged her, she's stubborn, she's a bit patronizing, etc. And even with all that, I'm pretty sure that Katara wasn't most people's favorite member of Team Avatar.

As to lightning bending not requiring much effort, that's part of the whole problem. One of the biggest writing fails in the entire history of the franchise. It doesn't mesh well with Iroh's explanation about lightning bending from ATLA, which was far superior about the art of lightning bending than what we get served in Lok.

And for the record, Mako taking care of his brother fits with the Gary Stu model. Because eventhough Mako lost his parents, he's so responsible and good that he's able to properly provide for his goofball little brother. In other words, yet another proof that Mako is a special little snowflake. These character traits don't exist in a void you know.

He's supposed to be the good-looking guy that errbody knows IRL. That's basically all he's got going for him. He's a decent bender, but nothing amazing. If he appears great it's usually because he takes on low-to-average opponents.

Lol no, I agree with Fionwe, Mako is amazing at bending. The fact that he mastered all the firebending techniques (lightning generating and redirecting) at such a young age and was able to bend while Amon was bloodbending him are enough evidence for that. He just doesn't look great, because the writers are seriously underplaying firebending and because of the backlash to the character. Which could have been avoided, if they hadn't made him such a freaking prodigy to begin with.

He's a former gang member who lost his parents and took up fighting to earn a living. I can agree that he doesn't really struggle with a lot throughout the series, but at the same time he doesn't really gain as much as the other characters either. Tenzin got to lead a new generation of Airbenders, Korra learned Metalbending among other things, Asami managed to keep her life on track after what happened in Book 1, Bolin got a lady and the ability to lavabend, etc. Mako stayed Mako, except now he's girlfriendless and works as a cop as opposed to a probender.

Doesn't really gain much? Really, that's his own fault. He had a relationship with the two lead female castmembers and he blew it. And Mako just loves being a police officer, so not much going on there in the wake of conflict. The lack of character progression for him is a clear flaw.

I can see people not liking him 'cause he's bland, but he's far from perfect. A Gary/Mary-sue to me is someone who is nearly perfect in every way imaginable, and Mako doesn't stand out nearly enough to fit the bill.

Amazing bender: check

Selfmade man: check

Handsome: check

Great at his job: check

Loving brother (to the level of almost being a single parent): check

Luck with ladies: He managed to get both Asami and Korra so check

Responsible to a fault: check

Athletic: check

Popular: check

Cool: check

Please tell me how this is not perfect in nearly every way imaginable.

she and Korra have this great friendship that's IMO one of the best things about the show.

:agree: Though I'm still hoping for Korasami :P (never going to happen)

Archived