Good fantasy page-turners

Pilusmagnus

Ok so I've read some of the novellas from Dreamsongs and they are all awesome. A Song for Lya had me make an effort because of the first person, but it was one of the most fantastic story I've ever read.

I'm getting into First Law and Dark Moon as well. Thanks guys, even though the topic has largely derived...

Dark Moon by is a typical Gemmell who writes great fantasy page turners. If you like Gemmells style and moral clarity (as opposed to celerity which should be avoided) then you will probably like most of his work as it zips along at an enjoyable pace.

I hated A Song for Lya, that was grim as hell. GRRM said he was melancholy back then, but that's just twisted. Makes you wonder how ASOIAF is going to end... be afraid. But I don't want to get into ASOIAF...

I'm really sick of rape as plot points, tell me a story without it all over the damn place, please. And mutual desire leading to clearly consensual sex is rather nice, more of that in stories, please.

Correct, hence, "I don't want to get into ASOIAF" (although I don't agree with what was said, I don't want to get into it here).

I was enjoying watching Outlander, but not anymore, after hearing all of this, maybe the adaptation will be the opposite of Game of Thrones, and improve the tale, but not counting on it.

And as good as the First Law is... I felt his standalone books were even stronger. Just fantastic writing.

You say 'standalone' but what you mean is, 'You need to read the other books to appreciate what is going on in them'.

Not sure they'll be look back on as standalones, more like 'bridge' books to something bigger, but knowing what has gone on before sure helps you enjoy the works.

I hated A Song for Lya, that was grim as hell. GRRM said he was melancholy back then, but that's just twisted. Makes you wonder how ASOIAF is going to end... be afraid. But I don't want to get into ASOIAF...

please.

Most of the stories in Dreamsongs seemed pretty sad to me, or downright horrible (eg The Pear-Shaped Man). I do suspect the line in the Show "if you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention" will sum up the series.

Well, it's been a while since I read the book, and also not, uh, an expert in ropes of rape. But as someone said earlier, it's never, as far as I remember, condoned like it is in outlander.

People view the Dany/Drogo storyline in different ways. My own view is that her former life with Viserys must have been hell. He beat her, threatened her, bullied

her, groped her, and would surely have raped her, sooner or later. By comparison, life with Drogo turned out to a big improvement. It need not have been. Another Khal might well have beaten her, raped her, and given her to his bloodriders.

But, had she been brought up as a royal princess, then I'm sure that being sold to a barbarian warlord at the age of 13 would have been a terrible experience.

Not quite condone but it does promote the idea of "It's okay to rape this person because secretly she likes it and will love me in the morning".

It's surprising how common that trope is. A real man proves his love for a woman by raping her (and perhaps flogging her, too).

There's a novel called "Devil's Embrace" by Catherine Coulter that's pretty notorious for this. The hero of the book has been planning the kidnap and rape of the heroine since she was *seven*.

There's a novel called "Devil's Embrace" by Catherine Coulter that's pretty notorious for this. The hero of the book has been planning the kidnap and rape of the heroine since she was *seven*.

Not bad, but I hear that in Twilight, one guy mindrapes a girl before she's even born to coerce her into sexxing him when she enters puberty.

Correct, hence, "I don't want to get into ASOIAF" (although I don't agree with what was said, I don't want to get into it here).

I was enjoying watching Outlander, but not anymore, after hearing all of this, maybe the adaptation will be the opposite of Game of Thrones, and improve the tale, but not counting on it.

I read an interview with the author yesterday, she was asked about the infamous scene of the heroine getting beaten by the main male character, and she confirmed it's in the TV series and nothing major is changed.

You say 'standalone' but what you mean is, 'You need to read the other books to appreciate what is going on in them'.

Not sure they'll be look back on as standalones, more like 'bridge' books to something bigger, but knowing what has gone on before sure helps you enjoy the works.

I've known quite a few that got into Abercrombie through one of the three standalones and gone back to read the first law after. IMO this works because he changes locations and the 'worldbuilding' is necessary for each of those locations that does not require the first law. Yes, you'll 'get' the easter eggs, but IMO they are very much standalones.

Archived