Why is the show turning Stannis into a dick?

Salafi Stannis

He's not smarter than Tyrion or Varys and they write them just fine. I can't see how they've made the character less intelligent in the show.

Maybe the thread title should be changed if you all want to see some more interesting commentary? Like "Stannis adaptation concerns/debates"? Of course there are dozens of threads in that vein already, but if this one keeps this title it will draw pretty uninteresting, uninspired comments.

Because the two men who making GOT are Dicks themselves Stannis is too smart for them to write for (Stannis did some mistakes but he did feel bad about and he was not Red woman dog).

Yeah, once again Stannis is the victim of his own awesomeness and others' inability to deal with it. Sometimes it's as if people haven't even read A Stannis of Ice and Fire.

My biggest problem with the show is how they keep butchering the character of Stannis.

He is such an awesome character in the books but in the show he seems easily manipulated and even sometimes cruel. A great character like Stannis is being made to seem like a dick while there are characters who are awful in the books like Cersei, who whitewashed and her general evilness is toned down. Let me give an example, in the books Stannis only burns people who have committed crimes punishable by death, whilst in the show he burns people for being infidels, and even ordered the execution of his closest ally, Davos. In the books, he is really sceptical about the Lord of Light and doesn't really believe in him, but he keeps Melisandre around because she has power. In the show, he is a fanatical believer and does whatever Melisandre tells him to. In the books he is really having a moral crisis in sacrificing Edric storm, and lets Davos off the hook for freeing him, whilst in the show, he's gonna kill Edric with no moral objections and he's about to execute Davos until Melisandre convinces him against it. On the other hand, in the books, Cersei orders the executions of Roberts bastards, and thinks Joffrey is a brilliant and wonderful king, and even thinks sweet little Tommen should be more like Joffrey. Whilst in the show, she is innocent of the crime, and it was Joffrey who ordered the deaths of Roberts babies and Cersei is grief stricken about how awful Joffrey turned out. WTF?!?!? But Stannis is so awesome that despite D&D's best efforts, I STILL like show Stannis.

EDIT- To all Stannis haters, GRRM himself said Stannis is a good guy and a just man, so unless you know more about ASOIAF than the guy who wrote it....

EDIT - To those who say Stannis is a true beliver of R'hllor, Melisandre even said Stannis is a disbeliever by nature, that his only true god is duty.

Television is poor at dealing with subtlety and the whole 'QM/ KM thing might have been too much to effectively convey. They reduce Selyse to a meek and silent 'partner' in their marriage as well. Since Stannis' misgivings in the books are pretty much irrelevant after the Blackwater anyway there was no point in introducing a storyline that they didn't really have time to tell.

Can't there just be one master thread for discussing the way Stannis has been adapted, ideally with a less leading title?

For what it's worth Sean on Boiled Leather who is generally very fair to the show made a good point which is that he wished they had delved more into Stannis's motivations for fighting for the throne, i.e. it's not that he wants to be king, he actually is the king. Would have given his character more depth and perhaps made him more understandable to the audience.

and even 99% of Stan fans would agree that Stannis is a dick, the show is just mostly portraying him as a weak-minded and incompetent dick instead of a hard, firm, and decisive dick (like he is in the books).

Exactly. But once he gets to the Wall, whether he's a weak-minded dick or throbbingly hard and decisive dick. he becomes OUR dick, and we get to use him to fuck the Boltons.

it's pretty much nailed on for more Stannis in S5 (x) I always wanted a bit more backstory (PrOUdWiNg) and some of the ZINGER lines from the books and I do have a few niggles with the storyline structure on Dragonstone, but then on the other hand I love some of the additions/changes. So for me it balances out and I love him on the show.

And I think he's a complete dick in the books. And love him all the more for it. :bowdown:

Yeah, no. He's not a "complete dick" in the books. He's just a hardass. Some people may view him as a "dick" but he's not. Simple as that.

Just after S4 finished I was re-reading the last few Wall chapters of ASOS. I love the sort of tension that goes on as they're all trying to get used to the new situation. And I really love the quote with him saying they called for him and now they're stuck with him. (x)

He's both a nuisance and a lifesaver. :wub:

I think he's an opportunist. He sees stopping Mance as a means to power. By saving the Wall he thinks he can make an alliance with the Watch and borrow their broken castles. The wall gives him a strategic advantage. It's a last line of defense and a birds eye view. If the northern lords back him, no one can effectively attack him. He saved their lives, but he's destroying the NW by changing it from an entity that takes no sides into something else.

The house/character theme songs heavily influence people's perceptions of character portrayals, and are an interesting challenge in a 7 season-long show where characters change so very much. Playing the Winterfell theme song after Arya killed Polliver was a little problematic in that the show seemed to be celebrating Arya's descent into cold-blooded killer. As Arya, Bran, and Sansa continue to do problematic things, the Winterfell theme song will continue to serenade them and seem to imply that the show isn't aware that these characters are becoming much darker.

Stannis was an antagonist when he was introduced in book 2 / season 2; and his theme song is ominous. For what it is worth, I think bookStannis, to the extent he cared at all, would prefer to have ominous theme music. But it was probably a mis-step to give Stannis such one-sided music. Rains of Castamere can work with either villainy or heroism although the Lannisters were introduced as antagonists. But it would be jarring to change that at this point.

When asked at Comic Con '14 if we were going to see more of "Stannis" being the "Mannis" the answer was a qualified "Yes." by D & D.

I have no problem with Stannis's portrayal. I saw Stannis showing up at the Wall as a just in the nick of time save of Westeros being even more torn apart due to the unregulated presence of the Wildings and Mance.

Stannis showing up at the Wall allows Jon and Stannis work out how to accommodate the Wilding integration into Westeros, and manning of the Night's Watch, in a more orderly and useful fashion.

it's pretty much nailed on for more Stannis in S5 (x)

I didn't find that when watching it. Do you have a link?

• 3 weeks later...

Stannis always was a dick and the only person who actually sticks up for him looks at him through rose-tinted glasses. His involvement with the NW causes more problems than it actually solves and he wats to have his way all the time without consideration for them. he is a dick in the books so he's a dick in the show and someone who does the right thing but then shoves it constantly in your face how lucky you are that he did the right thing is still a dick.

Stannis always was a dick and the only person who actually sticks up for him looks at him through rose-tinted glasses. His involvement with the NW causes more problems than it actually solves and he wats to have his way all the time without consideration for them. he is a dick in the books so he's a dick in the show and someone who does the right thing but then shoves it constantly in your face how lucky you are that he did the right thing is still a dick.

You do realize that if Stannis hadn't come to the wall, the Night's Watch would have been wiped out by Mance, right?

Archived