Why Would Rhaegar Not Marry a Targaryen?

Lopsang

3-way dis. Well played.

Not to defend Aerys' paranoia, but the last time a Targaryen king marrying the daughter of the hand that we know of (Alicent Hightower), she was also a schemer. Look where that lead...

not only that every time a Targaryan marries or starts having affair with other houses ...all hell break lose

three examples

Dance of dragons due to the marriage with hightower

blackfyre-Aegon unworthy producing a kingdom full of bastards

Rhaegar-Elia and Lyanna which lead to RR

so i personally think that if i have to say one good thing about their incest marriage that will be them keeping their power intact ...the moment you let others in they start to lust and grab the power themselves

not only that every time a Targaryan marries or starts having affair with other houses ...all hell break lose

three examples

so i personally think that if i have to say one good thing about their incest marriage that will be them keeping their power intact ...the moment you let others in they start to lust and grab the power themselves

Maekar, Aegon V, Jaehaerys II...

3-way dis. Well played.

Not to defend Aerys' paranoia, but the last time a Targaryen king marrying the daughter of the hand that we know of (Alicent Hightower), she was also a schemer. Look where that lead...

A"3-way dis", lol, is good shorthand for how I think the Rhaegar-Elia marriage happened. But ultimately, Tywin had the last laugh, so to speak.

Yes, Aerys paranoia is grounded in the realities of the situation, that is, having a very ambitious Hand, but Aerys' fault in this case was an inability/unwillingness to deal with Tywin's political and social climbing without fanning Ty's resentment. I mean, much of the Aerys-Tywin relationship is a series of slights: Tywin suspiciously letting Aerys flounder in the Duskendale dungeons, Aerys robbing Tywin of his heir by making Jaime a Kingsguard, rejecting Cersei as a bride for Rhaegar. IIRC, there's Cersei's anecdote about how Aerys and his "lickspittles" laughed at a feast where another lord made a joke about Tywin shitting gold. Their "friendship" seems defined by distrust and one-upmanship.

And no, no Ty never forgetting a slight, seized on the success of Robert's Rebellion and exacted terrible retribution.

I don't think Rhaegar chose anything.

Rhaegar's parents were forced to marry due to the same prophecy. Rhaegar's purpose in life was about the fullfilment of the same, said prophecy, like had nothing to do with it and chosing was never in question as it was necessary. My speculation is that When Rheagar became aware of and met Lyanna it all sort of "dawned on him" that she was the "one" that would enable him to fullfill the prophecy etc..

Maekar, Aegon V, Jaehaerys II...

We don't yet know who these guys married, do we? Just because Aegon V and Jaehaerys II married for love doesn't necessarily mean they weren't in love with their own sister.

three examples

The whole reason there was a Blackfyre for a rebellion to start in the first place was because Aegon IV and Daena.

A Princess of Dorne isn't more than the daughter or sister of a Liege Lord. The title is pretty much something they kept but it has no other special meaning or power.

Well yes, this is true de jure but is really de facto from the IT perspective. Dorne, while legally part of the 7 Kingdoms and subject to the IT, in reality they pretty much rule themselves. Even more so than most of the other regions do as they have their own laws. So yes, as far as the IT goes, the title "Princess Elia" is just a replacement for "Lady Elia" due to Dornish traditions, in Dorne their laws apply. For all intents and purposes, she was pretty much a princess as per her own kingdom's laws. The only time Dorne seems to give the rest of Westeros the time of day is when one of their own is in the royal family. LOL

In the Mercy chapter, It is mentioned that Tywin was sent to Lys by Aerys, Odds are is that Tywin was sent to look for descendants of Aerion Brightflame (aka Serra) for Rhaegar to marry. Obviously Varys and Illyrio had already moved her out of Lys. So yeah there really were no other Targs for him to marry. A whole shit ton of Targaryens were at Summerhall when it burned down and almost all of them died. It's been a big problem since then.

Aerys and Rhaella could have tried to make another kid after Rhaegar was born but they didn't. Only 16 year later (before or after duskendale) Viserys was born. The ideal time to create a sister-wife for Rhaegar would have been during Jaeharys II's reign.

There was Cersei...Alys Arryn (if she wasn't betrothed by then)...and there are a lot of Hightower girls, some had to be around that time, maybe even Lynesse (who I think Robert should have married instead of Cersei, by the way, but that's another topic)

Only if he wanted to marry a child.

Lynesse was a teenager when she married Jorah, she would have been, what, 11 or 12 after RR? Those kinds of marriages aren't actually normal or usual in Westerns.

Aerys and Rhaella could have tried to make another kid after Rhaegar was born but they didn't. Only 16 year later (before or after duskendale) Viserys was born. The ideal time to create a sister-wife for Rhaegar would have been during Jaeharys II's reign.

My impression is that the two of them preferred to do as little baby-making with each other as possible. Dany only got conceived because Aerys got turned on by burning people alive and raped his sister-wife.

It was before four or five years before Duskendale. I think they probably tried to have more children, having just one heir is risky. If anything happened to Rhaegar (before he had kids) the throne would pass to Steffon Baratheon (crackpot: Incentive for him to fail on his mission to find Rhaegar a bride?)

It was before four or five years before Duskendale. I think they probably tried to have more children, having just one heir is risky. If anything happened to Rhaegar (before he had kids) the throne would pass to Steffon Baratheon (crackpot: Incentive for him to fail on his mission to find Rhaegar a bride?)

Mind Blow!

To the point of letting himself die?

These Baratheon are hard.

He died in a ship accident right? It sank right off the shore, I dont think it had anything to do with the mission at hand did it?

Yeah, he died right in the aptly named Shipbreaker Bay, after already failing the mission.

Archived