Superman and Batman: The End of Humor

Rhom

I felt the same way about Snyder. I was actually a little exited when I heard he was doing MoS because I really liked Watchman.

I will not be seeing any other movie he makes in the DC universe for any reason. I do not care if the rest of the world stands up and says that one of his films is the best ever made. He gets no more of my money as long as he lives for the crap he pulled in that rotten turd of a movie he made that he claims was about Superman.

See, I'm the opposite. I was wary of Snyder after he pissed all over the ending of Watchmen, but although his treatment of Superman wasn't perfect, I really liked the film and am interested to see where he takes it from here.

I wish WB would just create their own movie Suicide Squad team, and not worry about trying to go all GotG with it by choosing a bunch of members that not a whole lot of people know. Cherry pick and mix-and-match a badass Suicide Squad team from all the members that have ever been on the team, and make that your DCCU Suicide Squad. You can always kill off and add new characters to the team. They're villains, nobody is going to be bummed out by them dying, we just want to have a bunch of fun with it. If I was in charge of writing the Suicide Squad movie, I'd do a team of:

Harley Quinn

Deadshot

Deathstroke

Bane

Killer Frost

And just go nuts with it, like the first Expendables movie nuts.

Watching 'Man of Steel' because I like to torture myself, and Louis Lane is wearing a mini-dress when she meets Clark Kent inside the alien ship in the arctic.

Let me say it again, she's wearing a MINI-DRESS in -40 degree weather in the arctic, with some light leggings and a pair of Uggs... :bang:

Watching 'Man of Steel' because I like to torture myself, and Louis Lane is wearing a mini-dress when she meets Clark Kent inside the alien ship in the arctic.

Let me say it again, she's wearing a MINI-DRESS in -40 degree weather in the arctic, with some light leggings and a pair of Uggs... :bang:

:ack: :stillsick: :tantrum:

See, I'm the opposite. I was wary of Snyder after he pissed all over the ending of Watchmen, but although his treatment of Superman wasn't perfect, I really liked the film and am interested to see where he takes it from here.

I sometimes worry that WB have only listened to me you and a handful of others about that film. It may be our fault Snyder is directing 3 more films - hopefully the rest of the board won't hunt us down and kill us,

From what I can see Snyder is doing Dawn of Justice and 2 sequels. There's no confirmation at all he'll be directing the "happening but not scheduled" Superman sequel. He's really not directing all 9 DC films coming out over the next 5 years which some seem to be thinking when complaining about it. He's doing one more film that Whedon is currently scheduled to do for Marvel. If Whedon had directed Captain America before Avengers would this also be deemed "too many films in the franchise"

With the announcement thay have an actress playing the Carrie Kelly version of Robin in the film it's even more likley this film will be heavily influenced on Dark Knight returns. Snyder does a pretty good job with comic adaptations IMO.

I do agree/feel for anti snyder fans though. He is far more polarising than Whedon who I imagine is "passable" for those who don't like his style.

I wish WB would just create their own movie Suicide Squad team, and not worry about trying to go all GotG with it by choosing a bunch of members that not a whole lot of people know. Cherry pick and mix-and-match a badass Suicide Squad team from all the members that have ever been on the team, and make that your DCCU Suicide Squad. You can always kill off and add new characters to the team. They're villains, nobody is going to be bummed out by them dying, we just want to have a bunch of fun with it. If I was in charge of writing the Suicide Squad movie, I'd do a team of:

Harley Quinn

Deadshot

Deathstroke

Bane

Killer Frost

And just go nuts with it, like the first Expendables movie nuts.

Completely agree - they have to go in heavy with this team and have it almost an anti-avengers in terms of villain recognition. Harley Quinn really needs to be in there.

The rumoured line-up leaves me mystified. They'll have to hope they can pull a "Guardians of the Galaxy" for it to work.

I don't think Deathstroke should be in it, purely because he's already a big part in Arrow and as I think I said in another thread he almost has to be a major player in the Teen Titans tv show too, so putting him in this might risk over-exposure. But then it might also just work to build hype and excitement with the wider public for a character who wasn't previously all that famous, so you know.

With the announcement thay have an actress playing the Carrie Kelly version of Robin in the film it's even more likley this film will be heavily influenced on Dark Knight returns. Snyder does a pretty good job with comic adaptations IMO.

I am wondering how this will go. Obviously, in Dark Knight Returns (and indeed every other version of Bats/Supes) they're pretty much always the same age, Batman having maybe slightly more experience in the stories set very early. In this instance, though, they seem to be at absolute opposite ends of their careers, and having this Robin, unless they just abandon other Robins, makes that more clear. Also makes it odd that they never once mentioned Batman in Man of Steel (though Wayne Enterprises shows up, obviously), although that's partly clearly because they hadn't fully planned the universe when they made that film. It's gonna be interesting to see how that makes a difference.

The other thing is that TDKR was also heavily influenced by, well, TDKR... several lines were lifted pretty much directly, and the arc of Bane's confrontations with Batman was clearly adapted from that of the Mutant Leader in the comic. So they're gonna have to be careful to avoid too much similarity.

Also given where Superman is now and how I believe the story is gonna go (with Batman being brought in to take Superman to task for the destruction in the previous film), they're in opposite positions in terms of who the government agent is and who's the wildcard.

Interesting thoughts. It almost makes me wonder if they'll try and sell this as a quasi continuation of Nolan's BAtman, In a "it can be if you want, won't be if you don't" kind of way. It would fit in the sense this maybe brings him out of retirement.

I bet they wish there'd been some kind of throw away line about Batman in Man of Steel. Surely, the young Clark Kent would have heard of this guy? Then again Clark was pretty uninterested in being a hero until he was essentially forced into it. In MOS anyhow.

Maybe the Bats has just laid low at the street level of vigilanti-ism. Sort of like in the first Burton movie when all the criminals knew of him, but no one else really believed about him. :dunno:

What need is there for Robin ever?

Robin has been a part of Batman stories more or less consistently since 1940. Writers, editors and fans have seen a need for him for 70 years.

Robin has been a part of Batman stories more or less consistently since 1940. Writers, editors and fans have seen a need for him for 70 years.

I think back in the day, kids actually read comics made for kids and Robin was popular because it allowed the kids to imagine what it'd be like to be Batman's side-kick. Not sure any kids read Batman comics now (maybe in the cartoons though?) which is why folk seem to feel Robin is redundant.

I quite liked the dynamic of Damian Robin and Batman (Bruce or Dick) as it was about trying to hold back/educate this lunatic killing machine.

I think back in the day, kids actually read comics made for kids and Robin was popular because it allowed the kids to imagine what it'd be like to be Batman's side-kick. Not sure any kids read Batman comics now (maybe in the cartoons though?) which is why folk seem to feel Robin is redundant.

I quite liked the dynamic of Damian Robin and Batman (Bruce or Dick) as it was about trying to hold back/educate this lunatic killing machine.

Damien is the best Robin IMO, and he would be the best one to use in a movie, adds a second story-line automatically and makes Robin way more of a badass.

Sure, but right there is the need for Robin, succinctly stated - dynamics. Batman needs a supporting cast, for motivation and interaction. Solo Bats doesn't work, long-term. He needs someone to bounce off.

Lol, whatever you say. I'm sure you're a HUGE Robin fan. Personally, I don't need a kid in a costume in my batman universe. By man has Alfred and Gordon to interact with.

You can dislike Robin all you like, but he's a fundamental part of the bat-universe. The whole idea of the bat-family builds from him, and frankly without a Robin, Batman becomes a different character. With them, he's got this little wrinkle, this supposed loner who nonetheless can't let go of the need for family and for someone to educate and work with. Without, he's just a lone-wolf hero like hundreds of others. Sure, Batman Begins and TDK did alright without, but getting rid entirely would be a loss.

It's a concept that has to be handled with care, of course, but don't chuck the baby out with the bathwater.

Alfred and Gordon are a whole different thing.

Sure, Batman Begins and TDK did alright without, but getting rid entirely would be a loss.

Did alright? You think TDK would have been better with a Robin and Batdog? The fact is Robin is a concept that works much better in comic books and cartoons than it does in live action movies (thus far at least). A young kid kicking ass and keeping up with Batman requires far too much suspension of disbelief, IMHO. You can show Bruce's need for a family without that family being a bunch of superhero children. It's just silly.

A young kid kicking ass and keeping up with Batman requires far too much suspension of disbelief, IMHO.

In the more realistic style of the Nolan trilogy, yeah. But in Batman's more out-there almost surreal versions, which is totally doable in live-action, a Robin can work just fine. Kick-Ass was more tongue in cheek, but it certainly shows a kid kicking ass is doable.

And Jena Malone is hardly a kid.

Archived