Why does everyone like Arianne so much?

Northernmonkey

I don't know, I just like the whole Dorne thing. I know people find it frighteningly boring, but to me it's one of the best places in the series, at least from a "I might actually like to live there" point-of-view. They're less misogynistic, sexually more liberated, and they have spicy food - excellent on all three counts. So Arianne gets a fair few bonus points just for coming from there, at least in my book.

So far that's about all she has though, I mean the Myrcella plot was ill-conceived and failed miserably, but then Doran is a bit of an idiot when it comes to her: he keeps her in the dark about his plans, and yet expects her to become the next ruler of Dorne - in my opinion he ought to choose: Either trust her, and groom her for leadership, or find some way to sideline her, if he truly doesn't feel she's capable. Doing kinda-both-kinda-neither leads to exactly the kind of clusterfuck we see. Pity that Myrcella had to lose her ear, and Oakshield his life, just for Doran to pass Parenting 101.

Doran's relationship with Arianne makes it difficult for me to see him as a clever cunning man who has some great master plan. Whatever he intended for Arianne he needed to teach her how to rule. She was either going to be Queen of Westeros or Princess of Dorne either way she needed to be ready for that role whatever it may be. If he didn't want to tell her about the marriage he didn't need to but he did need to guide her and help her learn. How was she ever going to help Dorne ass Queen if she knew nothing about anything and didn't have lessons in how to play the game from him?

I find her reaction to him and her behaviour to be totally understandable, silly but understandable, him I find harder to understand.

Aeron is obviously more interesting than Arianne, who I think is too cheesy and cliche. I have enjoyed her chapters, though, and I like Dorne a lot. She just doesn't have anything going for her character-wise, and her storyline is the one I'm forward to the least in The Winds of Winter.

I'm not sure if any of you have read the analysis of the Dornish chapters on the Meereenese Blot, but I found it really fascinating.

This should be a link to the first part: http://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/water-gardens-and-blood-oranges-part-i-the-viper-and-the-grass/

This widened my view of the chapters in AFFC and ADWD and the overall direction of that plotline. I'm currently early on in a chronological reread of those books, and a lot of the analysis on that site have made it very interesting indeed.

That's easy. It's because Arianne is both a girl and a hottie. I mean, come on, by her description she's the sexiest noble woman alive in Planetos, maybe tied with Nym who happens to be her cousin.

It's good that D&D hadn't yet casted the chracter of Arianne; judging by their previous choices of this season, they would have chosen a white, blond 5' 10" woman who happened to be more ugly than Obara... They simply fucked season's 5 casting.

To be fair, my OP specifically asked what it was people liked about her, and I got some good answers.

I like her chapters as a part of the whole Dornish arc. She's a piece of some complicated stuff, and her views, feelings, and insights are going to play a major role, I think, in the next book. Potentially, she could hold quite a bit of power in her tiny hands. I like her chapters, individually, because you can clearly get an idea of her psyche, and how she feels/how she is motivated. Despite Doran coming clear to her about some of his plans, she is still very much motivated by her jealousy of her brother(who has been sent away to marry a Dragon Queen,) I think this will motivate her to seek out her own Dragon King, aka fAegon.

EDIT: I wonder how she will feel after they receive word of her brother's death, and also just how far afield the Dornish will be when true chaos breaks upon Westeros, because a storm is coming like they haven't imagined yet.

OP: "I have an opinion"

Board: "Yeah, my opinion is the same"/"No, your opinion is wrong".

Yeah, that.

I may have misinterpreted your post and if so sorry but

Opinions can be wrong.I don't understand the "i have an opinion,opinions cannot be wrong" thing

I like her chapters as a part of the whole Dornish arc. She's a piece of some complicated stuff, and her views, feelings, and insights are going to play a major role, I think, in the next book. Potentially, she could hold quite a bit of power in her tiny hands. I like her chapters, individually, because you can clearly get an idea of her psyche, and how she feels/how she is motivated. Despite Doran coming clear to her about some of his plans, she is still very much motivated by her jealousy of her brother(who has been sent away to marry a Dragon Queen,) I think this will motivate her to seek out her own Dragon King, aka fAegon.

EDIT: I wonder how she will feel after they receive word of her brother's death, and also just how far afield the Dornish will be when true chaos breaks upon Westeros, because a storm is coming like they haven't imagined yet.

Yeah, I can't wait to see how Arianne reacts to the death of this brother who she's always been jealous of yet has never really known. The typical Dornish reaction to the deaths of family members seems pretty strong, so I'm guessing she will be very angry. Will she be upset? Guilty for ever feeling jealous? Will she do something stupid? Or will it make her more mature, make her realise that the stakes are high?

Yeah, I can't wait to see how Arianne reacts to the death of this brother who she's always been jealous of yet has never really known. The typical Dornish reaction to the deaths of family members seems pretty strong, so I'm guessing she will be very angry. Will she be upset? Guilty for ever feeling jealous? Will she do something stupid? Or will it make her more mature, make her realise that the stakes are high?

What I am most interested in is that, by the sample chapter of TWOW, she's is still thinking about Quentyn as having usurped her place, only instead of taking her place as her Father's heir, he's now taken her place in the plotting to betroth house Martell to the current Targaryen heir to the Iron Throne. Originally, Doran's plan was to marry her to Viserys. That can't happen now, as he died in the Dothraki Sea. Instead, it is her brother, yet again, jumping ahead of her. And now, suddenly, there is someone claiming to be Aegon VI in flying his banner in Storm's End, and she has been sent to treat with him. If she somehow manages to persuade fAegon to marry her, she will one-up Quentyn and disturb her Father's plans, and potentially strike Dorne into a war with Dany and her dragons.

I don't like Arianne; she is selfish, manipulative, and doesn't consider the consequences of her actions regarding others. She uses Myrcella in a desperate plan that puts the child in a dangerous position. She also tends to go with the narrative that she prefers, rewriting reality to fit her preferred narrative. She is basically a Dornish version of Cersei although not as psychopathic (yet). I haven't forgiven her for what happened to Arys and Myrcella.

I think she will do terrible things in the second Dance: murder, poison, betrayal, etc.

Because she is a great character, as was Quentyn.

Sarcasm?

Yeah, I think JonCon will actually be more interesting in the future, but something between the character showing up out of nowhere and his hyper serious personality tickled me the wrong way

To tell you the truth, I think Arianne will serve to drive a wedge between Connington and Aegon. Connington and Arianne will likely be leading opposing factions in Aegon's court. I think Connington would advise caution and prudence when dealing with Tyrion and Dany while Arianne, whose advisors would by the anything-but-cautious Sand Sankes, would go for the more bold, quick-kill measures.

I don't like Arianne; she is selfish, manipulative, and doesn't consider the consequences of her actions regarding others. She uses Myrcella in a desperate plan that puts the child in a dangerous position. She also tends to go with the narrative that she prefers, rewriting reality to fit her preferred narrative. She is basically a Dornish version of Cersei although not as psychopathic (yet). I haven't forgiven her for what happened to Arys and Myrcella.

How can you compare her with Cersei?

No just no.

She made unintentional mistakes.The only one I could give you is putting myrcella in danger.But that's it.

Archived