NFL Week3-4: Revenge of the Nerd?

Sivin

He is a fucking asshole, so far his success has made people look the other way. Really Jim? You hate loosing that much? How many games did you cost your team as a player with your meh QB skill? Seems to be a miserable human being.

I think you have to more or less put him in the same boat as Belicheck as far as the sportsmanship goes. He simply does not know how to lose gracefully. Hell, oftentimes he doesn't know how to win gracefully. The dick is strong in this one.

Unfortunately, I think it's pretty obvious that the (still) better team won.

There is no way Seattle wins in Denver, or if they lose the OT toss. There is also a glaring hole in the supposedly dominant Seattle D, which is if you block the front 4 you can run double moves for big yards all day long. Once Denver actually figured that out and started blocking up front they were just marching up and down the field.

With that being said... who in the hell was calling that Denver OT defense? Just terrible.

So the Redskins didn't win a winnable game at Philly yesterday. The defense had a rough day overall, but forced a 3 and out at the most critical time to give the offense the ball with great field position with 2 minutes left, down 3. The offense, which had been very good all day, did nothing and the game was lost.

The good news is that in spite of the injuries we've had (and it is hard to believe we've only had three games with this amount of injuries) we are still competing, even on the road against a good Philly team. Cousins looks comfortable, and the offense has weapons.

The bad news is that the special teams are still terrible (HOW?!) and the secondary is...really not good. On Special Teams this offseason, the Redskins signed several guys who are only backup linebackers/safeties, but are special teams standouts. They also prioritized special teams play amongst the young guys. They brought in the special teams coach from NYJ, and while Kotwica's unit wasn't exceptional in New York, it was slightly above average. By all accounts, the unit was much better going into the year. Results have not matched those expectations. If anything, special teams have been even worse. Through 3 games, the unit has had three huge special teams breakdowns (blocked punt TD, blocked extra point, kickoff return TD), and that's not counting the 33 yard missed field goal yesterday. We remain just bafflingly, inexplicably bad.

The defense had a very strange game in Philly. If you'd told me that the defense would completely contain McCoy/Sproles and hold the Eagles to ~ 70 yards rushing, that sounds like a win. But the secondary looked really really bad. Guys were open over and over again. The pass rush had a ton of hurries and hits on Foles, but only one sack, and once the ball went up, it's best to just assume the pass was caught. Maybe (hopefully) that is just because the defense was focusing so much on McCoy/Sproles, and will do better against other offenses. I can only hope. Because otherwise, not even 400 yards from Cousins is going to be enough to get many wins this year.

With that being said... who in the hell was calling that Denver OT defense? Just terrible.

Hey Jack del Rio, it is once again a third and three. Maybe think about the fact that the last two times Wilson ran right for a first down?

As stated elsewhere, it appears Seattle simply tells Wilson not to run except when the game's on the line. The Wilson runs were basically nonexistent until that drive. That offense is lethal when they let him do it.

Anyone else see the South Park season preview?

Apparently it only aired in the Washington DC media market, which is just some master class trolling of Dan Snyder.

It did indeed air during the Redskins game. Seems a little low class to bring Griffin (#10 jersey) into it given that he's injured and doesn't have any choice in who drafts him. But whatever, South Park has never been terribly concerned about that. I enjoy skewering Snyder at any opportunity, but I wasn't really sure this hit the mark terribly well. At the very least, I was hoping for a little more.

So the Redskins didn't win a winnable game at Philly yesterday. The defense had a rough day overall, but forced a 3 and out at the most critical time to give the offense the ball with great field position with 2 minutes left, down 3. The offense, which had been very good all day, did nothing and the game was lost.

The good news is that in spite of the injuries we've had (and it is hard to believe we've only had three games with this amount of injuries) we are still competing, even on the road against a good Philly team. Cousins looks comfortable, and the offense has weapons.

The bad news is that the special teams are still terrible (HOW?!) and the secondary is...really not good. On Special Teams this offseason, the Redskins signed several guys who are only backup linebackers/safeties, but are special teams standouts. They also prioritized special teams play amongst the young guys. They brought in the special teams coach from NYJ, and while Kotwica's unit wasn't exceptional in New York, it was slightly above average. By all accounts, the unit was much better going into the year. Results have not matched those expectations. If anything, special teams have been even worse. Through 3 games, the unit has had three huge special teams breakdowns (blocked punt TD, blocked extra point, kickoff return TD), and that's not counting the 33 yard missed field goal yesterday. We remain just bafflingly, inexplicably bad.

The defense had a very strange game in Philly. If you'd told me that the defense would completely contain McCoy/Sproles and hold the Eagles to ~ 70 yards rushing, that sounds like a win. But the secondary looked really really bad. Guys were open over and over again. The pass rush had a ton of hurries and hits on Foles, but only one sack, and once the ball went up, it's best to just assume the pass was caught. Maybe (hopefully) that is just because the defense was focusing so much on McCoy/Sproles, and will do better against other offenses. I can only hope. Because otherwise, not even 400 yards from Cousins is going to be enough to get many wins this year.

Yeah, it's infuriating how bad the special teams remains. It means you lose games like these where you were probably the better team out there. I think DVOA will bear this out.

The other thing is just all the missed opportunities. There were two Foles passes they could have (and should have) picked off. They had an endless string of penalties that sustained Eagles drives. They had great field position on two fourth quarter drives and came away with 0 points on both, one because the missed 33 yard FG though they had chances in the end zone too, the other because Cousins just missed two open receivers twice on that final drive. He played a sensational game, I'm not sure what happened there - I wonder if the cumulative rib shots affected him by game's end. I know it did with Foles.

Anyway, this one will haunt what's looking to be a pretty frisky Washington team. It's the difference between being 2-1 and effectively leading the division with a win over the Eagles on the road under their belt, and being 1-2 and 2 games back.

Anyone else see the South Park season preview?

Apparently it only aired in the Washington DC media market, which is just some master class trolling of Dan Snyder.

That's great. I'm pretty psyched for this. And poor Jay Gruden getting dragged into this in animated form.

It did indeed air during the Redskins game. Seems a little low class to bring Griffin (#10 jersey) into it given that he's injured and doesn't have any choice in who drafts him. But whatever, South Park has never been terribly concerned about that. I enjoy skewering Snyder at any opportunity, but I wasn't really sure this hit the mark terribly well. At the very least, I was hoping for a little more.

Although they make each episode the week before airs during the season (which is just a crazy schedule), I think they try to get ahead of schedule when they can; and likely were pretty far along in making the first episode when Griffin got injured. And I say that not so much because I think they would take him out if he got injured in the preseason instead, but because I think they'd have him on crutches in that scene and elsewhere work in some really tasteless jokes about his health.

Anyway, I think the episode itself will be really great. This is just a preview, and an incredibly troll-y one that; it was probably more important to them that they really hammer home the "Hey, look at what we're doing!" rather than put many jokes in it.

Anyway, this one will haunt what's looking to be a pretty frisky Washington team. It's the difference between being 2-1 and effectively leading the division with a win over the Eagles on the road under their belt, and being 1-2 and 2 games back.

It remains to be seen how frisky we will be. The injuries are taking a huge toll, and I'm not sure how competitive a team we are going to be able to field against the Giants on Thursday. I have no idea how banged up they are, but they seem to be playing a lot better than that week 1 debacle.

Hey Jack del Rio, it is once again a third and three. Maybe think about the fact that the last two times Wilson ran right for a first down?

Right? How did they not have a spy after the first two times he did this?

As stated elsewhere, it appears Seattle simply tells Wilson not to run except when the game's on the line. The Wilson runs were basically nonexistent until that drive. That offense is lethal when they let him do it.

They were containing him pretty well before that drive. In fact, I'd say that the Bronco D looked as ferociousas the Seattle D for most of the game except that last drive which looked like the team from the SB.

Stephen Tulloch injury during celebration goes from hilarious to downright pathetic and sad as it was just confirmed he tore his ACL. Guess that's why coaches preach to be humble after making a good play and go back to the huddle.

It remains to be seen how frisky we will be. The injuries are taking a huge toll, and I'm not sure how competitive a team we are going to be able to field against the Giants on Thursday. I have no idea how banged up they are, but they seem to be playing a lot better than that week 1 debacle.

Giants do have a legit defense. It'll be Cousins toughest test yet.

The injuries have been rough but so far have been replaced with surprisingly competent depth. Niles Paul continues to do a solid Jordan Reed. Losing DeAngelo Hall for the season sucks but I do like Brashaud Breeland. So far I can't think of anyone we've lost who hasn't proven mostly replaceable.

Giants do have a legit defense. It'll be Cousins toughest test yet.

The injuries have been rough but so far have been replaced with surprisingly competent depth. Niles Paul continues to do a solid Jordan Reed. Losing DeAngelo Hall for the season sucks but I do like Brashaud Breeland. So far I can't think of anyone we've lost who hasn't proven mostly replaceable.

I like Breeland too, but he isn't ready to be a starting cb. This team had a weak secondary with Hall and Breeland both, and losing Hall is going to be a problem going forward.

The team has weathered the injuries better than I expected thus far. But we're only on week 3.

Archived