NFL Week3-4: Revenge of the Nerd?

Sivin

I guess I haven't been paying attention, but apparently my Cowboys let go of the best safety prospect they have had in years. Congratulations Bears, you guys got a steal with Ahmad Dixon. Not only will he be a beast when he learns the safety position on an NFL level, but he is already causing fumbles on special teams right now.

For a team like the Cowboys who have all sorts of problems with their secondary, how did we let a guy go that?

Well a win is a win even if its ugly and comes with a lot of help from the refs. The defense stepped up even with the secondary depleted, though Eric Decker going down sure helped out there. And I don't know about you guys but I'm all aboard the Kyle Fuller hype train! It's very early yet but that kid has been nothing but impressive.

The offense needs Matt Slauson back at guard badly. Ola is doing an okay job but Slauson is one of those old school maulers who makes the whole line better. And Brandon Marshall needs to think about taking a week to rest. It sucks, but he's clearly hurting. So much so that he was pretty much a decoy for the entire second half, targeted only one or two times I think - and if Jay Cutler is only targeting Brandon Marshall only one or two times in a half, something is wrong.

Packers next week. That's almost never fun. And with Rodgers coming off of a bad game on top of our secondary taking applicants off the street, I think it will be even less fun.

Fucking refs. That should have been a Defensive TD.

It was clearly a fumble from the angle we had. Never saw if there was an official who had a remote shot of seeing it at that angle. The referee had no shot at all. He was directly behind the play and totally blocked out.

What a week.

For the Patriots, watching a 14-point favorite, in their home opener barely squeak out a win against a 0-3 team with more than a little help on that last drive from the ref was about as depressing as a win can get.

And then I watched Peyton Manning drive 80 yards in 59 seconds against the best defense on the road against the best road-fans in the NFL. \

And the gulf between the two is inescapable.

Brady’s skills are in decline; so are Mannings. Manning’s handlers have surrounded him with a top-notch O-line, some of the best weapons in the game and have designed plays to take advantage of his strengths while minimizing his weaknesses (he can’t go deep anymore either); Brady’s team traded its best O-lineman right before the season started (watch a Bucs game; Mankins jumps out at you in how he operates versus how everyone else operates; he is EASILY the best player on the Bucs- probably on either side of the ball); they have no deep threat; they keep deactivating Wide receivers for non-injury related reasons (for the second time in three weeks it was Dobson), they shuffle O-lineman like it were a speed-dating event; the two “big free agents” at WR either 1) cannot get open (Amendola) or 2) keep getting penalties (Brandon LaFell has been called for a pick in both weeks 2 and 3). Gronk is not anywhere close to 100%. Its clown college out there.

Brady is in decline. But you can manage that and still maximize his effectiveness. The Patriots are not doing that. They are basically stretching out that spackle that you get when you have a great QB; but its wearing thin. Yes, there is a marketable lack of talent between what Manning has and what the Pats have, but if Danny Amendola were on the Broncos, is there ANY DOUBT at all that he would get more touches? And that if he were getting 5 balls a week for 50-110 yards that Pats fans (like me) would not be UP IN ARMS saying “How come Brady can’t get support like that?” From 2001 through 2006 the Pats had comparable receivers to what they have now (Troy Brown was really good) and they got results. And yes, the game has changed dramatically but what is out there for the Pats TODAY is uncomfortable to watch.

Right now I can’t imagine the Pats beating the Bengals (EASILY the second-best team in the AFC; maybe the best depending on how much the Broncos D can play late in the game). And that would be bad enough. But did you see the Jets’ blitz package last night? Yes, the Jets suck out loud. But on D? They can bring it.

Pats play the Chiefs at Arrowhead and in a game that was supposed to be a “challenge, but a win” is now rapidly becoming a dodgy proposition.

Agreed on all points Rock. And the way the offensive line is playing, makes me think the Bengals game may usher in the start of the Jimmy Garoppolo era. They are going to get Brady hurt.

If I was Brady, and had consistently taken a team-friendly contract in order to create cap room, only to watch the team get rid of guys like Welker and Mankins and keep expecting him to do more with less every year, I'd fucking hold out. The team is clearly not committed to protecting or supporting their most valuable asset. Why stay in that kind of a situation?

why is Soldier Field silent on this Jets drive?

That was a question that actually didn't require a response I hope?

And nothing had gone exactly as planned for the Beats yet this season, yet they find themselves right where the experts expected them to be.

We all realize that Green Bay, after the egg they laid this past weekend, will probably come to Chicago and put up 50, right?

We all realize that Green Bay, after the egg they laid this past weekend, will probably come to Chicago and put up 50, right?

This is going to be one of those games where half of Chicago is melting down afterward. Hell, people are still freaking out about Cutler's second interception in the Bills game, despite the fact that he hasn't thrown one since and is 8 TD to 2 INT on the year.

Agreed on all points Rock. And the way the offensive line is playing, makes me think the Bengals game may usher in the start of the Jimmy Garoppolo era. They are going to get Brady hurt.

If I was Brady, and had consistently taken a team-friendly contract in order to create cap room, only to watch the team get rid of guys like Welker and Mankins and keep expecting him to do more with less every year, I'd fucking hold out. The team is clearly not committed to protecting or supporting their most valuable asset. Why stay in that kind of a situation?

The radio shows out here are all a flutter with talk of Garoppolo and how, at tis rate, Brady will be hurt and Jimmy G will just HAVE to come in; people have already postulated that that time will be duing the Bengals game as the Bengals D will t-off on him.

But another very good question is this: Did Belichick know, during the draft, that he was going to trade Mankins? It seems very likely that he did: that by the time the draft rolled around, Belichick had approached Mankins about renegotiating his contract (pay cut) and that Mankins said 'no.' (Like everyone knew he would). Okay. If that were the case, how come the Pats drafted a QB with that #2 pick and not an O-lineman? WTF? Because if you put a rookie QB behind a porous O-Line that just got your Franchise QB injured, hits still a Porous O-line... but now with a rookie QB!

Brady has been angry in the past about the Pats decisions. And in retrospect he ultimately gets what he wants. After the 2006 season or Reche Caldwell and Jabbar Gaffney, the Pats pacified an angry Brady and got him Randy Moss and Wes Welker; after the 2009 season without any assistance in the seam, the Pats went out and got Hernandez and Gronk in the draft. Even after 2013 with the Pats secondary an open joke, the Pats went and got Revis. The Patriots hae addressed certain needs.

But the Pats constantly rearrange the furniture. And they do it without a thought to Brady. I have asked this before but it bares repeating: can anyone imagine Peyton Manning waking up one morning to discover that the Broncos traded away his best O-lineman? Or that while he played for the Colts that they traded away his favorite WR (in 2005) or did not try to resign another WR (in 2013)? How come what is UNIMAGINABLE with Manning is COMMONPLACE with Brady?

In February 2005, Brady held up the Lombardi Trophy for the third and what is likely the last time. Had you told me that Brady would never again win a SB title, I would say that would be unusual but by no means unheard of. However, if you had also told me that by the end of 2013 Brady's legacy would be of someone who ... had his potential SQUANDERED I would say that was insane.; the man was a 3 time SB champ, and 2 time SB MVP. How can you squander potential when the man had already accomplished so much?

Its been 9 seasons since. The Pats have done a remarkably good job in taking a 3-Time SB winning champion QB... and squandering him.

Totally. Not that he WILL hold out, but he has good reason to be pissed. I get not signing Welker, though with the chemistry between he and Brady I thought it was a bad move. But I understood it. Trading Mankins made zero sense though, especially doing it when they did it. I feel bad for Tom, who I've always liked despite heavily rooting against the Pats as a team.

Not signing Welker made very little sense to anyone save Belichick. Especially when they went and got Amendola for only $1m more.

I think Belichick is trying to set things up for some absurd 'here's all the draft picks - give me a QB' move when Brady is forced out. Mariota will be out this year, Winston likely as well. I could see the Pats moving up in the draft to get one of them, especially if Brady's season continues like this.

And it's sad that I was lamenting the possible end of Peyton's career a few years ago but it might be the case that Brady is going to end actually sooner. That would suck on a lot of levels.

I think Belichick is trying to set things up for some absurd 'here's all the draft picks - give me a QB' move when Brady is forced out. Mariota will be out this year, Winston likely as well. I could see the Pats moving up in the draft to get one of them, especially if Brady's season continues like this.

Please oh god fuck not Winston.

Archived