Who is AAR Poll - EDIT - CLOSED

Salafi Stannis

Jon.

Melisandre sees him, he has dreams about a burning sword, he is associated with dragonglass and dragonsteel (Valyrian) to represent Lightbringer, Nissa Nissa was Ygritte, Aegon and Rhaenys were the two failed attempts.

Hm, the dream may really be something. But then I always remember of Jaime's dream and I don't know what to make of it. I think they are both related.

Azor Ahai prophecy is a bullshit. Eventually there may be one Azor Ahai Reborn, but the fuss they make over it is completely idiotic.

This exactly. I don't think any of the prophecies really mean anything. The Stallion Who Mounts the World dying is a pretty obvious indication of that imp.

This exactly. I don't think any of the prophecies really mean anything. The Stallion Who Mounts the World dying is a pretty obvious indication of that imp.

...and you know for a fact that the Stallion that Mounts the World was Rhaego? How do you know that the prophecy simply wasn't misinterpreted and that the Stallion was never Rhaego at all?

And it's obvious the the prophecies all mean something, otherwise there wouldn't be so many of them that come true.

But if R'hllor think Jon is Azor Ahai, I wonder what kind of visions R'hllor has been sending to Benerro. He believes it's Dany.

That's the problem, there are currently two versions of the prophecy, Mel thinks it has to do with defeating the Others and Benerro thinks it has to do with defeating the Old Blood in Volantis.

There is no proof which is right and which is wrong and GRRM is never going to tell us that, so I believe the lesson of prophecies is that anyone can fit the bill as long as it favours your interpretation (Both readers and characters)

Much more fun not knowing/remaining open to all options rather than choosing one and becoming entrenched via argumentation.

If I absolutely had to guess, I'd say Rhaegar would be the most GRRM-ish answer I can think of, Jon would be the most Star Wars version, Dany would be the most literal/reductionist version, and Aegon would be the most academic version.

Yeah, it's possible, but couldn't he be the "means" too? It would be a bit silly, ok, but still possible too... I think we believe it's him mostly because he's important (since he's THE secret Targaryen, LC at the Wall, a POV character and so on). If the vision showed some less important character instead of Jon (or if he himself were of less importance), we would probably be talking about how he or she could be related to AAR, but not that he or she IS AAR.

Anyway, I tend to think the vision is much more like a straight message from GRRM to us readers (disclosing: "It's Jon!!") than one from R'hllor to Mel (which could mean different things, as I said above).

OMG, thank you! You said exactly everything I wanted to say on this but didn't know how. ahahahaha

Mel is obsessed with waking dragons from stone. Perhaps she saw a vision in which a stone dragon was waking up. Then she made the connection to Dragonstone and seeing that Stannis was the current Lord of the island and he has the Targ blood, he must be the Lord's Chosen. But the stone dragon waking up is actually Jon and she misinterpreted her vision again.

“Give me the boy for R’hllor,” the red woman said, “and the ancient prophecy shall be fulfilled. Your dragon shall awaken and spread his stony wings. The kingdom shall be yours.”

This bit is likely from the vision she had seen, i.e. a dragon awakening and spreading his stony wings.

Dragon claws emerged from walls to grasp at torches, great stone wings enfolded the smith and armory, and tails formed arches, bridges, and exterior stairs.

In the same book, we see that most of Dragonstone has been shaped like dragons and great stone wings enfold the smith and armory. Jon stays in the chambers behind the armory, where the previous smith (Donal Noye) had stayed.

The stone dragon is one of the lies Daenery's is meant to slay. If it's Jon, well... I'm afraid I have bad news.

Comparing Benerro to Mel, I can say that Benerro's endgame is completely political whereas Mel is at least honest in working for the Battle for Dawn.

The stone dragon is one of the lies Daenery's is meant to slay. If it's Jon, well... I'm afraid I have bad news.

The lie associated with Jon is his false identity as a bastard.

Comparing Benerro to Mel, I can say that Benerro's endgame is completely political whereas Mel is at least honest in working for the Battle for Dawn.

The associated with Jon is his false identity as a bastard.

Hm... It's possible.

If she's going to reveal Jon's true identity, probably it's when they meet and one of her Dragons(I believe Rhaegal) gets friendly with him. (?) I guess it could be nice, but at the same time, I think his identity should be revealed differently.

And isn't the reason of Mel believing Stannis to be AAH the fact that she saw him in her flames (much like now she's seeing Jon)?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Melisandre see Dragonstone in her flames, not Stannis? But she believed Stannis was Azor Ahai because he's Lord of Dragonstone.

OMG, thank you! You said exactly everything I wanted to say on this but didn't know how. ahahahaha

Hahahaha, it's great to know that I'm not the only one thinking that!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Melisandre see Dragonstone in her flames, not Stannis? But she believed Stannis was Azor Ahai because he's Lord of Dragonstone.

Hm, I don't remember...would have to check the books, but I don't have them with me right now...Well, IF she indeed saw Dragonstone, then it would point much more toward Dany than to Jon in this case.

Archived