Outlander: Waiting for April [SPOILERS: First Season]

Veltigar

Just now, Veltigar said:

Before I watch this, I need your assurance that there aren't any cows in this one :P 

Well, there is some livestock in it, but you are safe to go :)

I had to check it, sadly :)

1 hour ago, Risto said:

You know that trailer gave me a surprising amount of hope for the next season. It's the more high-concept tsuff (can we change history?) that I wanted to see last season. Also no Black Jack crap and everything looked gorgeous as usual :) The action looked awesome as well :) 

1 hour ago, Risto said:

I forgive you :P 

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

You're safe as long as you aren't standing behind any doors.

So basically I can never go indoors again? :'(

32 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

You know that trailer gave me a surprising amount of hope for the next season. It's the more high-concept tsuff (can we change history?) that I wanted to see last season. Also no Black Jack crap and everything looked gorgeous as usual :) The action looked awesome as well :) 

It will all depend how they work around the theme. I was perfectly fine with strange girl falling for hunky Scottish lad and helping them survive the upcoming catastrophe. But if they manage to stay true to the spirit of the show (whatever that may be, after cows and rape), I could see it working. And yeah, the trailer looked beautiful.

38 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

This is the reason I continue to watch the show.

1 hour ago, Risto said:

I love that this thread now includes trigger warnings.

This looks wonderful.  Better than the book on which it is based.  Though there will be at least one thing that will probably outrage most of the members here.

Not of the bovine variety of outrage however (which didn't outrage me at all :cheers:).

On 4/13/2015 at 2:23 AM, The Mother of The Others said:
On 4/19/2015 at 4:23 PM, MoIaF said:

I really enjoyed the episode, I thought it was very well done. You see the friendship between Claire and Geillis and even though Claire knows what Geillis did, and disapproves of course, there is still a strong bond there. The trial was very well done, I'm from Boston and witch trials are sort of a thing here, so I do enjoy a good one. ;)

It shows through Ned that even highly intelligent people had very "different" sort of beliefs that we know consider ignorant. Like I loved when Ned was talking about the ferries.

I agree with Risto was very cool. There are any flying around a and a bunch of swordsman breaking into a fight trying to rescue the girl. It's a husband who swore to protect his wife, trying to fulfill his promise. It's cool.

I can see why Jamie would believe Claire because he has shown himself to be very accepting of her and pretty much anything she does. However, it would have been good for the show to show Jamie what Claire was talking about. Like have all the wind and leaves swirl around her when she gets near the stone or something.

Lady of the Rings love it!

I love romance too, and as it so happens those are some of my all time favorite books. Adaptation wise North and South the Richard Armitage version and Jane Eyre the Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens versions are my favorites.

Regarding Claire and Jamie, I do find their love believable. They have a very physician love for one another but also there is a lot of personal respect and admiration especially from Jamie towards Claire.

Coming extremely late here, but as far as the bolded part; I think the kick start for Claire passing through time was not the touching of the stones, Frank touched the stones nothing happened, but in book and show the winds, the sounds the leaves none of that started until Claire picked the flowers ( forget me not) then shit happened, it's like being in a holy or extremely historical place and one should not take items from it.

Now getting back, I think because she has things from two different eras (Franks Gold Ring and Jamies Ring) allows her to travel, it could be the rings or something else but once she is tied to two time lines she can do so with no real fuss .

But the main, first fall through the stone did not happen untill she picked those flowers.

My thinking any way.

Love the books,Love the show, rushing to book two before April and just ordered The Exile to get POV from other people.

ETA: Risto glad I'm not a minority in liking romance LOL.

On 5/31/2015 at 11:55 AM, Jack Bauer 24 said:

No. It was handled terribly here. I know a bunch of people who won't be watching Season 2.

Well I agree with the other folks, and D & W should have left Sansa in the Vale and continue her learning there.

my opinion of course.

LOL! That's funny, since I know 'a bunch' of people who can't wait for Outander S2. I also know 'a bunch' of people who aren't going to bother tuning into GoT6. 

See? Really easy to start throwing around stats like 'a bunch'. What's next? 'They said'? 

For me, Balfe, Heughan and Menzies are reason enough to tune into Outlander. The trailer looks gorgeous and I look forward to more. 

11 hours ago, Grail King said:

Well I agree with the other folks, and D & W should have left Sansa in the Vale and continue her learning there.

my opinion of course.

Sansa in the Vale would have made terrible TV. Some things don't translate to the small screen. That was a great creative change. As for Outlander, I hope they cut down on a lot of the shock! value this season.

17 hours ago, Grail King said:

Coming extremely late here, but as far as the bolded part; I think the kick start for Claire passing through time was not the touching of the stones, Frank touched the stones nothing happened, but in book and show the winds, the sounds the leaves none of that started until Claire picked the flowers ( forget me not) then shit happened, it's like being in a holy or extremely historical place and one should not take items from it.

Now getting back, I think because she has things from two different eras (Franks Gold Ring and Jamies Ring) allows her to travel, it could be the rings or something else but once she is tied to two time lines she can do so with no real fuss .

I haven't read the books, but the show implied that only some people can travel through the stones. So I'm not sure that it's because she disturbed the place.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I haven't read the books, but the show implied that only some people can travel through the stones. So I'm not sure that it's because she disturbed the place.

True, but it also showed nothing happening until she took the flowers, also Gillis used blood magic to travel back.

Maybe D.G. will give some sort of answer by the end.

4 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Santa in the Vale would have made terrible TV. Some things don't translate to the small screen. That was a great creative change. As for Outlander, I hope they cut down on a lot of the shock! value this season.

If they framed it properly it would have worked, there's a lot going on there especially if people read the Alayne  snippet on GRRM web site.

I'm not fanatically upset that they put her in Winterfell, but they did it for the shock of it, and they did do a disservice to her character and I think to Sophie Turner by not focusing on her more then Theon.

I was also outrage by the hate the episode got especially from politically correct groups on Sans's rape yet there was no outcry on what happened to Theon.

As far as Jamie, I thought the people in charge actually showed how devastating rape by and on both genders could be.

On 2/13/2016 at 7:27 PM, Zorral said:

This looks wonderful.  Better than the book on which it is based.  Though there will be at least one thing that will probably outrage most of the members here.

Not of the bovine variety of outrage however (which didn't outrage me at all :cheers:).

As I said, we can tolerate everything... We drew line with cattle :)

21 hours ago, Grail King said:

Risto glad I'm not a minority in liking romance LOL.

I am so glad to always break silly gender prejudices and to let others they are never alone in liking some things :)

11 hours ago, Grail King said:

my opinion of course.

The two scenes - Sansa and Jaime happened to me in one night. So, in case someone is wondering, how I am still holding, please, it was a rough night. And I have to say I was so much more hurt by Jaime's pain and horror. That said, I have never seen a show flipping a table in such manner. Plus, as I have heard Jaime's rape had some point and will be important throughout the books/series, while Sansa's in this case, stopped being important in the next episode and she was a prop to someone else's story. 

4 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Santa in the Vale would have made terrible TV. Some things don't translate to the small screen. That was a great creative change. As for Outlander, I hope they cut down on a lot of the shock! value this season.

Wait, and instead of bad TV in Vale we got what? Great TV? Sansa in Vale would be bad TV, perhaps, although with all the thousand different scenarios, I doubt it, but Sansa raped by Ramsay in WF was quite terrible on its own. Creative reasons or not.

10 hours ago, Crixus said:

For me, Balfe, Heughan and Menzies are reason enough to tune into Outlander. The trailer looks gorgeous and I look forward to more. 

I have to say, personally, that I have enjoyed the season very much. It wasn't perfect, there were some changes I would make, but overall, it was a good season. Yeah, the rape was one of the most haunting episodes ever and yeah, that particular cow scene wasn't something I enjoyed. Some nudity here and there, construction of last episode... But the show is beautifully acted, it looks gorgeous and the story is rather interesting. Enough for me.

Archived