Outlander: Waiting for April [SPOILERS: First Season]

Veltigar

This show is so much better without those shitty voice-overs. A really good episode imo :)

I would agree. But, isn't it kinda appropriate to end the voice-overs with last episode? I mean, isn't voice-overs the literal outlander's speech? Which is why we had Jaime introducing the marriage issues episode? Claire decided to stay, her choice made her no longer an Outlander as she once was.

This episode was quite good. Not as great as last weeks, because I missed a bit of the adventure side of Outlander (Can't beat a good duel), but still pretty nice. The acting was stellar as always and all the other things Outlander is usually great at were great this episode as well. I completely bought Claire staying with Jaime to be honest. I had no idea that people would feel otherwise. Claire is used to danger (I suspect that a combat nurse had to watch her back as well during WWII), perhaps even a bit addicted to it and I for one completely buy her love for Jaime.

I mean, not only is the guy superhot, good in the sack, caring and considerate, he's also smart, loyal and brave. He saved her from danger half a dozen times, at great risk for his own life. And even though he wanted her to stay, he brought her to the stones so that she could make her own choice. He was also willing to believe her time travel story and don't forget that he swoar that oath to her. To Jaime, he and she are equals. In present day England she would have settled down with Frank and have to become a good house wife while Frank gave his lectures. Here there is a life of adventure, perhaps even a mission to be had. And one final point, she wants to start a family, but it didn't happen with Frank. Perhaps with Jaime she could.

I also liked Jaime believing her time travel story. The man is pretty smart, but he's also a 17th century Highlander. If he can seriously believe in witchcraft, than why wouldn't he believe that his wife is a time traveller. Don't forget that they have songs and tales about people like Claire (in the second episode, the bard sang something about a woman falling through the stones). They also found her in pretty strange circumstances and being from the future would explain some of her attitude, language and knowledge.

Claire in the books and TV adaption chooses to stay with Jaime rather than return to Frank. It's definitely not a choice I would have made; because I like Frank (he does not have a dark side in the Outlander novel) and think he deserved to have his wife return to him. But I think I understand why Claire chose Jaime:

Claire is an extremely strong-willed woman who thrives on being useful. She grew up helping her archeologist uncle, usually in fairly rough environments. Then she met Frank; they fell in love and married. And WWII happened. They not only had to part for long periods, Claire learned to master even tougher and more dangerous situations. The war changed both Frank and Claire. I cannot see Claire being totally happy being a faculty wife to Frank, playing university politics and always being careful to say the right thing. Frank himself may want a "normal" Home & Hearth environment with a conventional wife after the stresses of the war, that's unsure, but I have the impression he's not the same man she married.

But when Claire went back in time and met Jaime, their interaction was not just one of sexual/romantic attraction. If that had been the case, I think Claire would have returned to Frank. What made her relationship with Jamie a higher priority, something she could not leave, was (1)their shared experience of trauma and danger. (Claire did not personally go through the dangers of her various WWII postings with Frank) They both have endured the horror of capture and menace by Jack Randall, though of course Jamie endured worse, prolonged physical torture. (2) I think Jamie needs Claire more than Frank needs Claire, and Claire senses that need and responds to it. (not that Jamie couldn't cope without her, but he'd feel more hollow than Frank would)

Another good episode, and again no voice-overs, with a Blackfish sighting! I've been wondering where Murtagh has been but now I think it's best that he hasn't been around right now (I think we'll see him before long though) because they are really highlighting the family love and bonds in an emotional way which is really nice to see. It really feels like home and you can see just how good things could be, but that also has me worried about what will go wrong next.

I would agree. But, isn't it kinda appropriate to end the voice-overs with last episode? I mean, isn't voice-overs the literal outlander's speech? Which is why we had Jaime introducing the marriage issues episode? Claire decided to stay, her choice made her no longer an Outlander as she once was.

I think it looks like you are right and the way you explained that was well done "the voice-overs being the literal outlander's speech". If that's what the show is doing I think it's a beautiful touch and it gives the voice-over a purpose of deep personal importance for the characters and the plot, if so well done. Now you have to think back about the voice-overs from the beginning with Frank in her own time and see that she didn't belong there either and felt like an outlander in her real life. Now that she choose to stay with Jamie in this time and no voice-overs at Lallybroch, which is 'home', it really highlights that Claire finally feels like she belongs, that this is her home, Jamie is her home.

Now that Jaime knows about Claire's time travel, I don't see the need for the voiceovers.... Claire can communicate to us through dialogue with Jaime, whereas before the voiceover was the only to accomplish that.

But overall, I really dig this show.... for once, I'd like to see them catch a break though...LOL

I'm enjoying this Season so far, but I just read this and have to agree..."Last week's Outlander ended on a cliffhanger and so did this week's. There's a theme. The danger posed to Jamie in the previous episode turned out to be momentary as the guests from the Watch were confused about his identity. Jamie is a wanted man and under constant threat, and the number of close calls he experiences more than gives you a peek into how stressful life his life is. He always has to be on his guard. It's understandable. But to stack the odds against him all episode between the Watch and Horrocks and then wrap up with Jamie being taken by the Redcoats? It's a little tiring."

I have to say that I enjoyed this episode, probably more than last weeks outing, but it definitely had some problems. Some things were pretty rushed this episode, like Claire's fertility issues. They glossed over it imo, which is a shame I think. I also felt the relationship between Claire and Jenny skipped a couple of steps.

Like last week there was some real tension there and now all of a sudden they are BFF's, to the point where Jenny just trusts Claire to do whatever with her pregnancy problems? Not that realistic imo, another episode in between this one and the previous one where Claire proves her healing skilss and wins Jenny trust might have been better imo.

I also found the ambush a bit stupid. I mean the Irish bloke is new and the Watch just trusts him like that? I know greed doesn't really do wonders to a man's intellect, but that was a bit farfetched. Especially since the man didn't even bother to send out scouts to check the location first. I would have done so, for obvious reasons. I also found it a bit out of character for Jaime not to ask for some information during the voyage, like for instance who tipped the Watch off about the convoy. That would have avoided their current conundrum.

Loved the leader of the watch though. He's a great character and I hope he survives the coming ordeal, because he would be a very good addition to the cast. I also think connections with the Watch would open up a lot of interesting story avenues for this show. I mean, it would make Jaime an incredibly well connected man. He's the laird of Lallybroch (and thus of Clan Frasier right? or not?), he's still possible in line to become the Mackenzie, he has dealings with the Duke of Sandringham and now with the Watch.

I wonder how Claire is going to save Jaime though. I hope we don't get a simple repeat of the castle rescue mission. I want to see some fireworks. Although I do think Jaime won't be as lucky as Claire was last time. He'll probably take a fair amount of abuse, because that's where Jaime's for :p I'm also pretty sure that Claire will be pregnant by the end of the season. That's probably why they glossed over the infertility crisis so quickly.

Question for bookreaders: At the moment we are at in the show, is Jaime the laird of Clan Frasier in the same way that Collum is laird of the Mackenzies? And how important is Lallybroch compared to Castle Leoch? My own impression, based soly on the show is that Lallybroch is a much smaller estate, which is nowhere near as important as Castle Leoch. I also think that Jaime is not the Laird of Clan Frasier, but on that I'm a bit torn myself.

Question for bookreaders: At the moment where at in the show, is Jaime the laird of Clan Frasier in the same way that Collum is laird of the Mackenzies? And how important is Lallybroch compared to Castle Leoch? My own impression, based soly on the show is that Lallybroch is a much smaller estate, which is nowhere near as important as Castle Leoch. I also think that Jaime is not the Laird of Clan Frasier, but on that I'm a bit torn myself.

Correct.

Really enjoyed this episode, despite the stupidity of the ambush scene (and damn, that was dumb for all the reasons Veltigar described). I liked this McQuarrie character and how he represented what Jamie could have become. I liked when Jamie got that "fuck this, I'm the damn Laird" look on his face and just came out and said he killed Horrocks and that he was a wanted man. The scene between Ian and Jamie after Ian killed Horrocks was really beautiful. The birthing was lovely. I finally started to feel like there is a real relationship between Jamie and Claire, something beyond good orgasms, which helps to overlook the problems with the part where they went to the rocks.

I think Sam H is getting better and it's cool to see his growth as an actor. His scene after Claire revealed her fertility problems was great because you could just see how truly devastated he was by the news. I don't think he would have been able to project this as well just a few months ago.

Question for bookreaders: At the moment where at in the show, is Jaime the laird of Clan Frasier in the same way that Collum is laird of the Mackenzies? And how important is Lallybroch compared to Castle Leoch? My own impression, based soly on the show is that Lallybroch is a much smaller estate, which is nowhere near as important as Castle Leoch. I also think that Jaime is not the Laird of Clan Frasier, but on that I'm a bit torn myself.

You're right. He's not the leader of the clan. Lallybroch is more like Dougal's holdings (which we probably won't see). It's much smaller than Castle Leoch, and there is a relation between a previous Lallybroch Laird and the leader of Clan Fraser.

Correct.

Thanks for the response :)

You're right. He's not the leader of the clan. Lallybroch is more like Dougal's holdings (which we probably won't see). It's much smaller than Castle Leoch, and there is a relation between a previous Lallybroch Laird and the leader of Clan Fraser.

Thanks for the reply :) Does that mean that Jaime could also become the Leader of Clan Fraser? Or is he not related closely enough for that? EDIT: forget that I asked that, it's probably spoilery to answer :)

I do think the show isn't very clear on the power the MacKenzie's wield. They will probably get there when the Jacobite uprising comes to the forefront, but right now I don't feel like we have an adequate gauge on the power of Clan MacKenzie. Like, based on my own speculation of how storylines will proceed, I think they are quite a big deal, but I don't feel like I have much evidence to support my thesis so far.

They've replaced the voice overs with Dangerous! cliffhangers lol

I prefer cliffhangers :P At least those won't bother you on rewatches :P

Good episode, the show continues to having strong storytelling throughout each episode.

I do have to point out that we did have a little voice-over this episode. Right at the very end with Claire thinking about Jaime.

The development of Jenny's relationship with Claire is very nice, they aren't "besties" yet but you can see a growing bond between the two woman. Although, Jenny's face when Claire kissed her was really funny, like we're close, but not that close.

Not to keen on the whole ambush like everyone else I thought it was not really a smart move for such seasoned soldiers. Jaime probably the least season of the bunch is the one who notices that it's an ambush.

The scene between Ian and Jamie after Ian killed Horrocks was really beautiful. The birthing was lovely. I finally started to feel like there is a real relationship between Jamie and Claire, something beyond good orgasms, which helps to overlook the problems with the part where they went to the rocks.

That was a very nice scene, two old friends coming together and knowing each other even after all the time they've spent apart.

Yeah i was wondering if their was a discussion about the show.I am a fan of the books myself and i'm glad there's a show.Something else to watch.

As Wentworth fast approaches my stomach is in knots.Looking forward to see how this will translate.

Edit: I started a discussion about the books in the literature section.Hard to keep books discussions on this going as people can get all heated.I'll look for the link.http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/124234-outlander-book-1-discussion/

Good episode, the show continues to having strong storytelling throughout each episode.

This is my general opinion about the show lately. There was always a question whether this show can actually survive without the steamy Frasier sex, but the storytelling gets better and better. Which actually means that the show has something else to offer.

Like last week there was some real tension there and now all of a sudden they are BFF's, to the point where Jenny just trusts Claire to do whatever with her pregnancy problems? Not that realistic imo, another episode in between this one and the previous one where Claire proves her healing skilss and wins Jenny trust might have been better imo.

While I agree, I have duty to say that having someone's hand in vagina while delivering a baby kinda bonds people. :)

While I agree, I have duty to say that having someone's hand in vagina while delivering a baby kinda bonds people. :)

Ah but that was my point, although I didn't want to be so blunt. There was some real tension last week and now all of a sudden she trusts Claire to the extent that she allows Claire stick a hand in her vagina and tinker with the way her baby is positioned in the womb? A bit of a stretch imo.

Ah but that was my point, although I didn't want to be so blunt. There was some real tension last week and now all of a sudden she trusts Claire to the extent that she allows Claire stick a hand in her vagina and tinker with the way her baby is positioned in the womb? A bit of a stretch imo.

Well, the thing is that she at least knew that Claire is some sort of healer, so "hand in vagina" can be the product of that. The later relationship is well, consequence of "hand in vagina". But, overall, yeah, it is a bit stretch. I would have liked to have seen Claire really winning her respect.

But there was no one else. The midwife wasn't coming and Claire appeared to be the only one available who had any healthcare knowledge, even if Claire was unable to turn the baby (and unable because she didn't know how as she wasn't even sticking her hands up the vagina like one does when turning a breach baby). I feel like certain issues sort of go out the window when one is facing the prospect of death during child birth. Like, Jenny no longer has any reason to keep calling Claire a trollop when Claire is the only person around who might be able to at least save the child, if not herself.

But there was no one else. The midwife wasn't coming and Claire appeared to be the only one available who had any healthcare knowledge, even if Claire was unable to turn the baby (and unable because she didn't know how as she wasn't even sticking her hands up the vagina like one does when turning a breach baby). I feel like certain issues sort of go out the window when one is facing the prospect of death during child birth. Like, Jenny no longer has any reason to keep calling Claire a trollop when Claire is the only person around who might be able to at least save the child, if not herself.

Claire certainly stuck her hand in Jenny's vagina. She tried to do it from the outside and then when that didn't work she did go inside to turn the child. I thought that was quite clear. And I still find it odd that she just quietly accepted Claire's help. Instead of sending for the midwife or searching for other women with some experience. I mean Claire was a combat nurse, how much does she know about correcting the position of a breach baby.

Claire certainly stuck her hand in Jenny's vagina. She tried to do it from the outside and then when that didn't work she did go inside to turn the child. I thought that was quite clear. And I still find it odd that she just quietly accepted Claire's help. Instead of sending for the midwife or searching for other women with some experience. I mean Claire was a combat nurse, how much does she know about correcting the position of a breach baby.

Sorry, I assumed you meant at the start, when Claire was first trying to reposition the baby. Later, Claire had spent time keeping Jenny calm until it was revealed that the midwife was unavailable (and I suppose for plot convenience, no one else with medical knowledge was available). It looked like after being told there would be no midwife, Jenny became resigned to dying in childbirth. I don't know that Jenny knows what sort of nurse Claire was, just that she's a healer who has at least seen a birth.

I guess I don't really see it as all that odd. The midwife is gone, the baby is breach, Jenny's mom died in childbirth, Jenny thinks she's going to die, Claire is the healer.

Archived