Will Arya be sent to kill Sansa?

DamnDirtyApe

Depending on when her "birthday" supposedly is, I believe it would be 286, since during the Alayne chapters the series is set midway through the year 300.

Yeah, it may be. I've check Sansa's page on the wiki and it says she was born on 286, meaning Alayne would be close to 15 and born in 285. In any case, it seems something rather minor. There aren't many odds of a FM approaching Alayne before killing her, asking how old is she and having the following conversation:

FM: How old are you?

Alayne: Fourteen

FM (realizes she's lying): And who was your mother?

Alayne: The daughter of a Braavosi merchant prince my father met while he was a custom officer at Gulltown

FM (realizes she continues to lie, pulls LF's file and run the figures... oh, wait, Arya is good at that!): No way. You are not the daughter of a the daughter of a Braavosi merchant prince because the Braavosi have no princes and you were conceived while Littlefinger was still at the Sisters

Alayne (in feigned shock): No way! That means he lied to me!

(FM realizes Alayne is lying for the third time)

(Enter Kella with Darth Vader's voice): Alayne, I am your mother!

(FM realizes none ever tells the truth at the Vale): Whatever, just turn around (so you don't realize I'm about to kill you)

I just thought of a way Arya could kill Sansa even if she recognizes her:

If she hears that she married a Lannister AFTER Ned's execution, that would dovetail uncomfortably with what they were fighting about before Robert's death. Even moreso if she is told of the role Sansa's current 'father' played in things.

I could even see Arya disregard a caveat that Sansa was forced, in that her entire experience with Sansa in/on the way to KL is Sansa choosing the Lannisters ahead of her own family.

In the same way she decides she has the right to 'execute' a deserter, she might feel she has the right to 'execute' a traitor.

Ooh, the more I think of this the more I can see GRRM doing it.

Arya heard Sansa married Tyrion before the fight at the inn and she dismissed it. Given the Play at the Mercy chapter, it seems became common knowledge, though. But, since she is in the Mercy persona, we don't get her opinion.

Yeah, it may be. I've check Sansa's page on the wiki and it says she was born on 286, meaning Alayne would be close to 15 and born in 285. In any case, it seems something rather minor. There aren't many odds of a FM approaching Alayne before killing her, asking how old is she and having the following conversation:

FM: How old are you?

Alayne: Fourteen

FM (realizes she's lying): And who was your mother?

Alayne: The daughter of a Braavosi merchant prince my father met while he was a custom officer at Gulltown

FM (realizes she continues to lie, pulls LF's file and run the figures... oh, wait, Arya is good at that!): No way. You are not the daughter of a the daughter of a Braavosi merchant prince because the Braavosi have no princes and you were conceived while Littlefinger was still at the Sisters

Alayne (in feigned shock): No way! That means he lied to me!

(FM realizes Alayne is lying for the third time)

(Enter Kella with Darth Vader's voice): Alayne, I am your mother!

(FM realizes none ever tells the truth at the Vale): Whatever, just turn around (so you don't realize I'm about to kill you)

Arya heard Sansa married Tyrion before the fight at the inn and she dismissed it. Given the Play at the Mercy chapter, it seems became common knowledge, though. But, since she is in the Mercy persona, we don't get her opinion.

Sorry, not remembering/understanding. She dismissed it as untrue, or as not meaningful. If the latter, my theory has holes. If the former, it's sounding stronger by the minute.

She thought it was just a silly rumour (it came packaged with Sansa turning into a wolf with bat wings and flying off afterward). But she's now starring in a play about the life and death of King Joffrey over in Braavos, so one imagines she would have heard about what happened to Sansa (filtered through fiction) by this point.

My point still stands. Arya is not an idiot. She knows Sansa is a prisoner, she acknowledges that repeatedly whenever she thinks about her.

She thought it was just a silly rumour (it came packaged with Sansa turning into a wolf with bat wings and flying off afterward). But she's now starring in a play about the life and death of King Joffrey over in Braavos, so one imagines she would have heard about what happened to Sansa (filtered through fiction) by this point.

My point still stands. Arya is not an idiot. She knows Sansa is a prisoner, she acknowledges that repeatedly whenever she thinks about her.

Fair enough, but to my mind her dismissing it as a silly rumour reinforces my sense that she would find it impossible because she would think there's no way Sansa/a Stark would do that. Finding out she did and then recalling the whole trip/KL experience might easily lead her down a different path.

I guess an important question is whether or not Arya believes she would agree to marry a Lannister while being a prisoner. If she thinks she wouldn't have had a choice, then my point probably isn't. If she thinks she'd die first or kill the Lannister on her wedding night or similar, I am more and more seeing this as the kind of twisted knot GRRM would love to pull off here.

Arya spent months at Harrenhal doing whatever was necessary to survive. I rather doubt she thinks Sansa would kill herself before being forced to marry someone. I would especially think it unlikely that she would decide to murder Sansa on the spot without, you know, talking to her.

Arya spent months at Harrenhal doing whatever was necessary to survive. I rather doubt she thinks Sansa would kill herself before being forced to marry someone. I would especially think it unlikely that she would decide to murder Sansa on the spot without, you know, talking to her.

Not entirely related; do you think she spoke to Daeron about his desertion before killing him?

Either way, this idea is building in my mind. It fits in many ways, GRRM-wise.

Edit: my original post was asking if she would have married a Lannister or Lannister lackey in Harrenhall, but I realized we have no way of knowing as it never came up. I do remember her realizing that under torture she would break, but I'm not sure we necessarily saw her resolved to do 'anything' to survive. I'd need a re-read.

From what I recall, her list of what she would do were either relatively obvious things like run errands, do chores, not talk back, etc. or killing, which for her increasingly seems like a trifle.

Why did she fear her identity being exposed so much at HH, do you recall? She was already facing potential torture and death; what worse fate could await her if her name were known?

It's common knowledge that Sansa helped conspire with Tyrion to kill Joffrey. I'd don't think Arya would mistake that for siding with the people who have wronged her.

That's a good point. I was trying to touch on the LF angle before assuming that the contract would be in the Vale, and as such more info about that being known, but off the top of my head I can't think of a way the FM would learn of Sansa's innocence, so yeah, good point ( unless they do and/or her innocence is otherwise proclaimed, say Tyrion gallantly taking all the blame because he doesn't care/it helps his cause with Dany...which again would be GRRM irony)

LF cover story isn't bad per se. See, Varys couldn't know of Alayne because LF himself didn't know of her and not even Varys keeps track of every woman LF might or might not have slept with. And, push come to shove, Alayne/LF can claim Alayne was raised at a Riverlands sept destroyed during the war, which also explains why Alayne wouldn't want to talk about it.

However, the very big issue is why would LF believe Alayne's purported letter, and that would tick all alarms in Varys. But Varys is no longer serving the Iron Throne so LF has nothing to fear on that front yet. Other men would be inclined to believe what you write later: Alayne is one of LF's prostitutes, which he brought to the Vale to serve him, but Varys might want more information before making that conclusion.

Littlefinger was one of the most devious men around, and Varys knew it.

Also Varys has spies in more places than just Kings Landing; the fact that well-known- bachelor Littlefinger has a child of his staying in the Eyrie is something worth a "little bird" reporting to Varys. After all, the tension with the Lords Declarant was well-know, so how it turns out is important, as would be Lysa's sudden murder just after her marriage, allegedly by some singer. What would the little birds say? Nothing much - "bastard daughter, frightened witness to Lysa's murder. Very pretty, graceful, well-spoken, and well-mannered. Little lord Arryn likes her.".

Now, keep in mind Alayne's appearance may seem inocuous to most people (such as the Lords Declarant), that LF has some previously-unknown bastard daughter, and they would think it uncouth to pry into the personal affairs of an upjumped pimp like him. But to someone whose very profession is built on extreme suspicion, her appearance and personality would set off alarm bells, and merit further investigation.

I could even see Arya disregard a caveat that Sansa was forced, in that her entire experience with Sansa in/on the way to KL is Sansa choosing the Lannisters ahead of her own family.

In the same way she decides she has the right to 'execute' a deserter, she might feel she has the right to 'execute' a traitor.

Well, yeah, that is the danger, Arya holding some huge grudge against her and killing her in the name of House Stark, not because the FM have ordered it.

To the degree that Arya thinks anything about Sansa at all, is it anything positive? Well, you are right that Arya probably blames Sansa somewhat for her family's downfall - but Sansa's not on the Death List, either.

The last time Arya heard / thought anything about her was from Polliver's gang - that Sansa had married the Imp, and possibly poisoned Joffrey before disappearing. ("That's stupid. She knows songs, not spells. And she'd never marry the Imp.") Arya did not seem to believe it, but even with confirmation that Sansa did marry the Imp, she would also know that Sansa is wanted as an accomplice at the very least in Joffrey's poisoning - points in Sansa's favour.

To the degree that Arya thinks anything about Sansa at all, is it anything positive? Well, you are right that Arya probably blames Sansa somewhat for her family's downfall - but Sansa's not on the Death List, either.

No, she doesn't blame Sansa for her family's downfall. She's thought about Sansa several times and in ACOK she thinks to herself about seeing her family again:

Arya had not known her brother was so near. Riverrun was much closer than Winterfell, though she was not certain where it lay in relation to Harrenhal. I could find out somehow, I know I could, if only I could get away. When she thought of seeing Robb’s face again Arya had to bite her lip. And I want to see Jon too, and Bran and Rickon, and Mother. Even Sansa... I’ll kiss her and beg her pardons like a proper lady, she’ll like that.

• 3 weeks later...

I said this to a friend not too long ago. I think Arya will kill Sansa, directly or indirectly. My main reason is because what happened with their Dire Wolves. Lady was killed because Nymeria was lost. I think the fact that Arya has to lose who she is to become a FM will mean Sansa will die.

I know everyone is hoping Arya will kill everyone on her list or kill all the most hated individuals in Westeros but it goes against the believes of the FM and in all honesty it's not how GRRM operates. What purpose could Arya serve in the grand scheme of things? Why make her an assassin if not to kill someone of great value or someone you never could imagine her killing, like her own sister?

I don't think it will happen either, but one thing to keep in mind... Arya may well hate Sansa at this point. Remember, the last time she saw her was standing next to Joffrey and Cersei when her father was executed. As far as Arya knows, Sansa has completely gone over to the other side and discovering that she is now living as a princess in the Vale may only reinforce that image, not to mention their antagonistic relationship growing up. I think that under the circumstances and with her limited knowledge of what's really been going on in Westeros, Arya is fully capable of believing the worst about Sansa and blaming her for contributing to the downfall of the Starks.

With that said, I don't particularly think that she will be hired to kill Sansa.

I don't think it will happen either, but one thing to keep in mind... Arya may well hate Sansa at this point. Remember, the last time she saw her was standing next to Joffrey and Cersei when her father was executed. As far as Arya knows, Sansa has completely gone over to the other side and discovering that she is now living as a princess in the Vale may only reinforce that image, not to mention their antagonistic relationship growing up. I think that under the circumstances and with her limited knowledge of what's really been going on in Westeros, Arya is fully capable of believing the worst about Sansa and blaming her for contributing to the downfall of the Starks.

With that said, I don't particularly think that she will be hired to kill Sansa.

I wouldn't go that far. I'd say she's confused and concerned about Sansa's involvement.

She probably heard Sansa' screams when Joffrey ordered Ned's death, though. And we haven't seen, so far, any thought of Arya blaming Sansa for Ned's death, let alone the RW

She probably heard Sansa' screams when Joffrey ordered Ned's death, though. And we haven't seen, so far, any thought of Arya blaming Sansa for Ned's death, let alone the RW

Plus she will have heard about Sansa being forced to marry the imp and that she might be responsible for Joffrey's death. She might even think that Sansa killed Joffrey in revenge for Ned. Either way it seems unlikely that she hates Sansa.

Archived