What makes you the most uncomfortable when you read ASOIAF?

DeathYon

Knowing I might never find out how it ends.

We will from the TV show.

The worst is that after the clusterfuck that the last two books were, I know longer believe that George is capable to finish the books. He got so lost in the story that he no longer sees the forest for the trees (or so would seem) and instead of moving the story forward he is supplying us with endless descriptions and minute to minute itineraries of every person in every corner of Westeros and Essos. I don't blame him. If it is anyone's fault, it's more his editors than his.

We will from the TV show.

The worst is that after the clusterfuck that the last two books were, I know longer believe that George is capable to finish the books. He got so lost in the story that he no longer sees the forest for the trees (or so would seem) and instead of moving the story forward he is supplying us with endless descriptions and minute to minute itineraries of every person in every corner of Westeros and Essos. I don't blame him. If it is anyone's fault, it's more his editors than his.

Personally, I liked the fourth and fifth novels, but they're definitely not perfect.

I agree that there's a bit too much coverage of the less interesting characters.

I think that TWOW should fix this though. There's going to be so much great stuff going on.

I guess it would be the description of Yezzan also. The rape and incest and all that does not bother me for the simple reason that it is not real and that when you read about Jaime and Cersei together in Game of Thrones and then have Jaime throw Bran out the window, we were not suppose to like that scene. It was suppose to make not like the Lannisters.

Missing significant nuggets within piles of unnecessary detail. In reading aDwD, after each chapter, I turned to this site's chapter summaries. I was astonished at how much I was missing because I recklessly skipped over a description of a sigil, the dishes of food served, the clothing of nobody special, etc. I suppose I'm not a true book reader that loves every word and detail to assemble pictures in the mind. I wish the editors used some kind of formatting (e.g. Side bars) for such content so fools such as me were less likely to miss valuable info.

I know this makes no sense, but when Lady and Grey Wind died.

The human characters die, lose limbs, forced sex, eh whatever it is not real, but a fake animal dies and I am upset by it.

It's like reading "Where the Red Fern Grows" all over again!

Missing significant nuggets within piles of unnecessary detail. In reading aDwD, after each chapter, I turned to this site's chapter summaries. I was astonished at how much I was missing because I recklessly skipped over a description of a sigil, the dishes of food served, the clothing of nobody special, etc. I suppose I'm not a true book reader that loves every word and detail to assemble pictures in the mind. I wish the editors used some kind of formatting (e.g. Side bars) for such content so fools such as me were less likely to miss valuable info.

I skim over the sigils fairly regularly as well. It gets a bit too much for me.

Hopefully all that good stuff will be in TWOIAF!

The human characters die, lose limbs, forced sex, eh whatever it is not real, but a fake animal dies and I am upset by it.

A lot of people seem to care about animals more than they do their own kind. Hitler loved German Shepherds.

Rape and torture generally, and the constant cycle of violence the small folk are subjected to at the whim of their lords.

Yeah, their deaths got to me as well. I'm soft about animals like that, too.

-The description of the Dothraki in GOT

-Drogo and Dany's first sexual encounter

-constant references to Sam as fat, as if we the reader had forgotten--makes it seem like Jon is absolutely fixated on Sam's fatness. GRRM does this with other characters too and their unique character traits, but if I were to parse it, no one gets as many references to their trait as Sam does with his fatness. Not even Brienne and her ugliness.

-Reek chapters, not because I think they're bad, but because I'm dreading future torture/pain for the series' whipping boy.

-To go along with that, someone already mentioned the Theon/Jeyne/Ramsay seen. UGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH.

-Grey Wind's head being sewed onto Robb's body. Super gruesome, it was bad enough they died, and then their bodies were mutilated too. :crying:

Archived