Formula 1 - 2015 Ferrari Rising

The BlackBear

Well, Vettel just passed Rosberg. I've got the TV on mute due to sleeping husband so not sure if Rosberg's car is wonky, but as Vettel is also in the process of closing down Hamilton, I doubt it. This bodes well for a more competitive season than last year.

I always like seeing a Toro Rosso pass a Red Bull. :D

After Pits, Vettel is looking strong. He really needed to get past Rosberg after his pit and he did. Seems like Hubris from Mercedes putting on the hard tire earlier.

I know I named this thread, but even so, sooner than I expected.

Hamilton had a bit of an Andy Murray when things went against him, I thought he'd grown out of that.

Inspired thread name.

I don't think Hamiltin will ever grow out of his "spit the dummy out" behaviour. It's just because he's been winning all the time that he's appeared more mature. I can see why he's scared though - Vettel as a competitor is far scarier than Rosberg.

I never thought I'd be pleased to see Vettel win a race but it's great to see that he may have the chance to show he is world class. If he's winning in the Ferrari he certainly isn't winning with the best car and that raises him up in my assessment of him. Let's see how he does on other tracks. I think Kimi can be in the mix too with better luck.

I also like the new Ferrari boss - super italian but cool as a cucumber.

That definitely wasn't in the script.

Ferrari were helped by the track and the tyre situation, advantages they won't have at every race. It will certainly force Mercedes to be less trigger-happy with the softer tyres in qualifying in the future. But the Ferrari's straight-line speed is absolutely ferocious, a clear bit faster even than the Mercedes.

It was good to see that the McLaren car isn't a total disaster. They turned the engine up quite a bit this week and were duking it out with the Saubers and Force Indias, and were way ahead of the Marussia. Not where they want to be, but it shows there's a lot of potential in the car and engine if they can get just extract it and improve the reliability. At least a few points during the season may not be out of reach. Alonso must be kicking himself though.

Button's BBC interview this week was good in that it highlighted just how limited Mclaren-Honda are with regard to testing and that they are having to use the actual races to get most of the info they need for development. I also wonder if the fact Honda is not only new on the scene but is only working with Mclaren hampers things as well. Renault, Ferrari and mercedes all have engines in at least two teams which I guess means those engine manufacturers get more feedback too.

It would be great to see Honda get some points somewhere. Alonso seemed to be adding his "I can add a few tenths through skill alone" so as soon as the car can get near the top 12 they'll be scrapping for small points. I just hope Honda is committed to this for a few years. Red Bull and Mercedes had to put in a few years beforehand too. I can see Button being the equivalent of Coulthard and Schumacher (for red bull and mercedes) in seeing the team through the hard development years.

While I'm not particularly a fan of either Ferrari or Vettel I think it's a good thing they won because at least it means it won't be a simple Mercedes procession to the Championships. I suspect Mercedes will still come out on top in the long term because Vettel's victory was helped a lot by Mercedes making some strategic blunders (in retrospect, their decisions didn't seem too ridiculous at the time).

• 2 weeks later...

Promising start to the race, with Kimi taking off and it briefly looking like an epic four-car, two-team battle, but then it dropped off. Entertaining to see Maldonado turning into a moron again and Verstappen went like gangbusters until his car conked out. What then followed was the most ridiculous scene as half a dozen of marshals tried to manhandle the car through a gap in the pit wall and slammed it off the wall at least three times. The Toro Rosso engineers looked exceedingly pissed off with them by the time they finally managed to get it through.

Then we got to the end of the race and Rosberg started talking the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard in my life about his race being somehow compromised by Hamilton when Hamilton was 3 seconds up the road and trying not to kill his tyres. Crazy.

Nice results for Sauber and Grosjean, and good to see another moderate step forward from Alonso and Button. If they keep improving at this rate they could indeed by fighting for points in another few races.

Then we got to the end of the race and Rosberg started talking the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard in my life about his race being somehow compromised by Hamilton when Hamilton was 3 seconds up the road and trying not to kill his tyres. Crazy.

In fairness the explanation that getting too close to Hamilton would have killed his tires isn't exactly beyond the pale. But it does sound a bit sour grapes.

Promising start to the race, with Kimi taking off and it briefly looking like an epic four-car, two-team battle, but then it dropped off. Entertaining to see Maldonado turning into a moron again and Verstappen went like gangbusters until his car conked out. What then followed was the most ridiculous scene as half a dozen of marshals tried to manhandle the car through a gap in the pit wall and slammed it off the wall at least three times. The Toro Rosso engineers looked exceedingly pissed off with them by the time they finally managed to get it through.

Agree that the contest for the lead never really developed into anything interesting. To be fair to Maldonado at least the final crash didn't really seem to be his fault, but some of the earlier mistakes were a bit incompetent.

Verstappen does seem like a real talent, he had some great overtaking manoeuvres for a 17 year-old in his third race. I wonder if Danil Kvyat might be a bit nervous about next year's Red Bull seat, although at the moment Verstappen might prefer to drive the Toro Roso.

Those marshals just smashing the shit out of several thousand pounds worth of front wing was hilarious. Other than that. I really want a competitive grid again. Ferrari are making strides but still clearly some ways off, and then there's a step down again to the other teams. And the inner twelve year old within me says: Claire Williams is pretty :blushing: :leaving: .

Oddly, despite the Ferrari victory in Malaysia, I have found the start of this season a bit duller than last year. At the start of last year I think everyone felt that Hamilton was the far superior driver so seeing his engine fail in the first race and having to win the Championship from behind made it all more interesting.

There was also the fantastic battle in Bahrain between the two, so maybe I should be waiting to pass judgement after this weekend...

But this year he has already won two of the first three races and even with Ferrari looking much stronger than they (or anybody else) were last year, the gap isn't closed just yet. Rosberg also seems to have lost his cool (whether due to team orders to do so or not, he looks bad) and I just don't feel that much excitement so far.

In fairness the explanation that getting too close to Hamilton would have killed his tires isn't exactly beyond the pale. But it does sound a bit sour grapes.

And he could try and catch/overtake him quickly before too much damage was done which was how the rest of the field were approaching it.

Those marshals just smashing the shit out of several thousand pounds worth of front wing was hilarious. Other than that. I really want a competitive grid again. Ferrari are making strides but still clearly some ways off, and then there's a step down again to the other teams. :leaving: .

I agree. I thought the race was really disappointing - the only tension was in the hope things might happen during the pits.It didn't.

I'm also with you on how Ferrari being closer (but not really close enough) actually makes the races more dull than last year. Previously the rest of the field had pretty exciting scraps but if China was anything to go by we have mercedes 10+ seconds ahead of Ferarri who are 10+ ahead of Willians who are 5 seconds ahead of the rest. I really don't want to get all my enjoyment from watching battles for 10th place.

Mclaren's woes go on.

Just hoping this race has some bite in it. Apparently Ferrari seem to do well in the windy conditions. I want Williams to do better too. Still want Hamilton to win though. And it'd be nice to have something to talk about other than just: 'Rosberg needs to up his game.'

Quite exciting end. Raikkonen forcing that mistake on Rosberg. With Hamiltons late brake worry I thought Raikkonen might sneak in there too, but it didn't get that far. Vettel suffered for his mistake as well, which helped Bottas. Loved Ricciardos stylish smokey end.

• 1 month later...

Archived