Small Questions v 10091

Stubby

Just the bolded part...

Other tidings were of greater interest. Robett Glover was in the city and had been trying to raise men, with little success. Lord Manderly had turned a deaf ear to his pleas. White Harbor was weary of war, he was reported to have said. That was bad. The Ryswells and the Dustins had surprised the ironmen on the Fever River and put their longships to the torch. That was worse. And now the Bastard of Bolton was riding south with Hother Umber to join them for an attack on Moat Cailin. "The Whoresbane his own self," claimed a riverman who'd just brought a load of hides and timber down the White Knife, "with three hundred spear-men and a hundred archers. Some Hornwood men have joined them, and Cerwyns too."

That was worst of all.

Davos II, Dance

...why?

Just the bolded part...

Davos II, Dance

...why?

Perhaps because it would have been more usefull if the people Stannis had to fight had been occupied by both Stannis and the Ironborn, thereby preventing them from giving one for their full attention.

By defeating the Ironborn threat early, they now can send most of their force against Stannis..

I think it means that both those houses are working with Bolton and won't be declaring for Stannis. It also means that as the houses start declaring it could rapidly snowball so he won't get any more swords for Stannis. My take anyway.

Don't think this is the case. Ironborn are common enemy of all Northmen, both pro-Bolton and anti-Bolton ones.

Quick question: who forced Aerys and Rhaella to marry - Aegon V or Jahaerys II ?

Jaehaerys II.

Now where is the quote...

eta;

Ser Barristan went on. "I saw your father and your mother wed as well. Forgive me, but there was no fondness there, and the realm paid dearly for that, my queen."

"Why did they wed if they did not love each other?"

"Your grandsire commanded it. A woods witch had told him that the prince was promised would be born of their line."

ADwD 23 Daenerys IV

fixed the quote.

Quick question: who forced Aerys and Rhaella to marry - Aegon V or Jahaerys II ?

the world book confirms it was Jaehaerys.

“ On the word of Jenny of Oldstone’s woods witch, Prince Jaehaerys determined to wed Aerys to Rhaella, or so the accounts from his court tell us. King Aegon washed his hands of it in frustration, letting the prince have his way.”

When did Mance leave the Night's Watch? He says he visited Winterfell with Lord Commander Qorgyle when Jon and Robb are boys, so likely no more than a dozen years or so... yes?

Thanks! :)

The only helpful time frame I found, is from the wiki referencing World of Ice and Fire as source. So, spoiler tags:

Mormont was elected LC of Night's Watch in 288 AC, 10 years before the present storyline. So, LC Qorgyle's visit must have occurred shortly before, given that Jon and Robb were boys rather than babies.

But still, that doesn't help us narrow the range much: Mance's deflection could have happened 9 or 1 year ago. My speculation is that it happened relatively recent, given how him becoming King of the wildlings is still fresh news in AGOT.

The only helpful time frame I found, is from the wiki referencing World of Ice and Fire as source. So, spoiler tags:

Mormont was elected LC of Night's Watch in 288 AC, 10 years before the present storyline. So, LC Qorgyle's visit must have occurred shortly before, given that Jon and Robb were boys rather than babies.

But still, that doesn't help us narrow the range much: Mance's deflection could have happened 9 or 1 year ago. My speculation is that it happened relatively recent, given how him becoming King of the wildlings is still fresh news in AGOT.

Thanks! :)

Don't Tormund and Mance both mention that Mance has spent "years" convincing various wildling leaders and kings to follow him?

Err on the high side of how long Mance has been out of the NW.

Archived