Ran on TWoIaF and more|Reddit AMA

Moondancer

If he's :ack: another secret Targ, it just doesn't work. Not only because genes do mather, but more importantly because Tywin was right all along in hating Tyrion. Because he really wasn't a Lannister after all.

Sad message from Veltigar to all adopted children in the world: It's only fair that your parents didn't love you as much as they (had) loved their "real" children. It's your fault.

I'm calling likely proof for me, ya all can call it whatever you want.

Instead of worrying about my, or others, interpretation of the Reddit article, perhaps posters should take it up with the actual interviewees?????

Well, my concern is not about Ran or Linda giving their opinions about theories, or dismissing theories in a context where a full rebuttal is omitted. So there's nothing for me to take up with them.

What's a little disconcerting to me is that it looks like many posters are taking their opinions on these theories as gospel, specifically in a context where they dismissed the theories without explaining their rationale for doing so.

I'm sure that they have reasons for finding these theories unlikely (and I tend to agree that many are unlikely), but I guess I'm a little dismayed at how automatically so many posters are willing to accept his opinion on them in the absence of his stating his reasons.

Opening discussion about this here seems somewhat salient in this context, as there's a lot of posts in here saying that Ran's unelaborated opinion is all they need as proof. I don't really think that this article stating their opinions should be used as "proof" against any theory as a substitute for argumentation, and from some of the responses, it kind of looks like that's a future possibility.

This is starting to sound like the whole "delusional" debacle of 200...5? when JKR shut down the Hr/H shipping, the webmaster of Mugglenet called the shippers delusional and they rioted.

THEY RIOTED.

Let's not riot.

The good ole days, when I was sane and not on the internets, LOL

Can't wait for the fun of the actual book in it's entirety. :shocked:

If Tywin was Aerys' son, and if Tywin knew it - or was pretty sure that this was the case - he was actually a much better father and person than I thought he was.

He rose Aerys' bastard as his own, just because he considered him to be his own because he was Joanna's child. True, he never showed him any affection, but that would have been a hard thing to do. Joanna cuckolded him, and she died giving birth to him. Not to mention the fact that Tyrion was an ugly dwarf child, and Aerys was somewhat mad and grew ever madder, and Tywin would have been very concerned that Tyrion may have inherited his father's madness.

Its an unnecessary and bare theory. Never understood why so many believe it tbh. And while duh Ran isn't GRRM and his opinion isn't gospel I still value it over others so it does make me happy that he too thinks its a bs.theory.

:agree: I also never got the point of it all. What does that theory actually add to the story? Nothing really, if anything it detracts a little from what we have without it.

Agree with bold part. But, I don't believe that every theory should be some sort of groundbreaking thinking into descyphering a new mystery or anything. Indeed, it doesn' add anything, but it offered a good alternative to Oberyn having plans of his own. Sad it isn't true, though, but as I said above, no biggy, really. It was the less "crazy" of the mentioned theories, tbh. I can't believe that they even HAVE to mention that HR isn't the HS or that Quent is really dead :lol:

I'm not far from one either, 5 minutes, the way I drive.

LOL, "Lady crashes into everything to get book, page 3".

Have you ever smelt a gut-shot animal? It aint got nothing to do with poison. :cool4:

The closest I ever came was a fish, not a Tully, a real fish, LOL Good point, though.

Agreed.

I dont see what the problem is, Ran knows more than we do.

At the very end of the series, my guess is that we will look back on this forum and realize he was right about most everything.

I just hope we are all around for the end of the series, still, I'm not counting on disclaimers for every actual idea, silly or otherwise.

I know, right? Imagine when we can actually discuss book or book 6 is actually finished... people are going to stab each other on the neck screaming "my theory sends its regards!!!".

Fortunately, I might not live through the car crash to pick up The World of Ice and Fire, I don't have to worry about Winds. :lmao:

Also, was it this thread or the other one in this subforum that seemed to allude to a lot of unknowns about Aerys, Joanna, Tywin and the Lannister children? Ya'd think that would be grabbing all the attention.

But does it hold true in both English and Spanish?? Not sure I should trust my trusty translate button. You should see what it has done with articles of GOT filming in Spain.

I'm just doing my best not to rethink, again and again. That's why I now fear Jojenpaste, and well, actually look forward to Euron is the Dusky Woman.

LOL, just paste the text on the board or PM, I'll translate, no biggy :lol:

The good ole days, when I was sane and not on the internets, LOL

When I was nice and I behaved on the internets :3

Btw, no

Griffin words

in book...

I RIOT!!!

I think it creates some interesting parallels (and differences) between Ned and Tywin if it is true and Tywin even suspected. It would be interesting if ten years before he ordered Rhaegar's children killed, and before Ned disguised his sister's child as his own, Tywin made the choice to raise Tyrion as his own despite whatever doubts or knowledge he may have had. For me it would not ruin either man's story for Tyrion to have been fathered by someone else. Tywin still raised him, and shaped who he is as much as Tyros did Tywin. But personally, even though I can see why one might say the theory is about to become more popular, I don't think Tyrion is Aerys'.

Sad message from Veltigar to all adopted children in the world: It's only fair that your parents didn't love you as much as they (had) loved their "real" children. It's your fault.

Oh, you have simultaniously mastered the technique of ad hominem and strawmanning. Very good! Don't let Swiper take that special power away from you. Seriously though, the adoption comparison makes no sense at all.

This is perhaps the laziest (not to mention flawed) analogy I have seen since Rahul Gandhi's 'Politics is everywhere. It's in your shirt, it's in your pants. It's everywhere.' Tyrion, if Aerys bastard, wasn't adopted by Tywin. Furthermore, this is Westeros, where people live and die because of their lineage, not 21st century USA or whatever place you sprung forward from.

I know, right? Imagine when we can actually discuss book or book 6 is actually finished... people are going to stab each other on the neck screaming "my theory sends its regards!!!".

eh, I'm not trying to protect any of the theories in question, and they don't really apply to me. My issue is more concern that "Ran said X was bullshit" is going to become a substitute for actual rebuttal in light of the "this is all the proof I need" posts.

eh, I'm not trying to protect any of the theories in question, and they don't really apply to me. My issue is more concern that "Ran said X was bullshit" is going to become a substitute for actual rebuttal in light of the "this is all the proof I need" posts.

Nah, didn't mean anyone specifically. But I've been involved in fandoms long enough to know how protective people get when theier theories are debunked by canon. Damn, I've been there too.

Btw this is an extract released by Vulture. About RR, I do warn you all though, you'll probably hate Yaendel when you get to the end http://www.vulture.com/2014/10/game-of-thrones-compendium-roberts-rebellion-world-of-ice-and-fire.html

Knifes? How quaint of you :p I'd advise you to upgrade your arsenal, otherwise this might happen to you when the day comes :p

Means I'll give you. Motive no. He wanted Tywin dead, but not immediately. He wanted to undo the mans work, not have him die without realizing who's responsoble for it. Opprtunity, we'll there is the dinner, but I don't believe in his motive.

And again, it adds nothing to the story. If anything it lessens Tyrion's murder of Tywin, because the man was going to die anyway.

If Oberyn could mess up one poison to extend the agony of his victim, why not another?

Archived