[TWOIAF Spoilers] First Poll: Most Fascinating Regional History (Westeros only)

Mithras

Both Dorne and North

Dorne has more in common with the distant North than either does with the realms that lie between them. “One is hot and one is cold, yet these ancient kingdoms of sand and snow are set apart from the rest of Westeros by history, culture, and tradition. Both are thinly peopled, compared to the lands betwixt. Both cling stubbornly to their own laws, their own gods, their own traditions. Neither was ever truly conquered by the dragons. [...] Dornishmen and Northmen alike are derided as savages by the ignorant of the five ‘civilized’ kingdoms, and celebrated for their valor by those who have crossed swords with them.”

The North is overall more interesting, although we were lacking information in this book.

The history of the Iron Islands was more interesting than I thought, though.

Not so sure on regions, but good ol' Garth Greenhand is surely one of the most fascinating men Westeros has ever seen.

Garth Greenhand clearly wasn't a man. He seems more likely one of the old deities of the First Men, because he clearly is too implausible to have existed.

The Reach! Seriously, who would have thought the Reach would be so fascinating???? I think I've read the "ancient" parts of the Reach 3 or 4 times now.

This.

If you asked me before I read it, I would have never guessed the Reach would be my favorite part, but it was really interesting.

The Reach and the North.

Both Dorne and North

Dorne has more in common with the distant North than either does with the realms that lie between them. “One is hot and one is cold, yet these ancient kingdoms of sand and snow are set apart from the rest of Westeros by history, culture, and tradition. Both are thinly peopled, compared to the lands betwixt. Both cling stubbornly to their own laws, their own gods, their own traditions. Neither was ever truly conquered by the dragons. [...] Dornishmen and Northmen alike are derided as savages by the ignorant of the five ‘civilized’ kingdoms, and celebrated for their valor by those who have crossed swords with them.”

Doesn't Dorne follows mostly the Seven?

I'd probably tie the North with the Vale. I loved the history of House Royce and King Robar was a bad ass. Makes you wonder if the Royces defeated the Andals, the potential alliance between Stark-held North and Royce-held Vale could have been epic. Imagine Theon Stark and Robar Royce riding in to battle together.

A Bolton would have found a way to ambush the both of them and Crown himself King of Winter and Sky.

Westerlands, because that chapter did the most to change what I had previously thought rather than simply expanding on what I already knew. I hadn't thought the West was so fertile, I had assumed it was too hilly to be good for crops and dependent on mining. I loved the colorful characters of the early Lannisters, and the recent history shed a lot of fresh light on familiar faces.

The North was my least favorite, because it gave the least amount of new information, a lot less than I was hoping for.

Archived