A prince born Bright

Wmarshal

Actually, George has said he does not reveal anything about Summerhall to not spoil the last Dunk & Egg story. They may be a small connection to the main series there, but it may be nothing all that important.

Maegor could be something important - like Varys/Illyrio stuff - or merely another topic for another Dunk & Egg story (like Maegor's conspiracy to claim the Iron Throne).

There would only be a need to flee if Daenora feared that she and Maegor were in danger in Aegon's hands.. And I doubt that Aegon V would hurt them..

Maegor's presence could have been solved easily. Night's Watch, Kingsguard, perhaps even the Faith...

Aegon V wouldn't have killed Aenys Blackfyre either. Remember that Bloodraven said he sacrificed his personal honor for the good of the realm, and many agreed with him.

Sure, Bloodraven was punished. But how does Daenora know that someone else won't kill her son "for the good of the realm" in case baby Maegor grew not into Aerion 2.0 but a viable alternative king?

I'd be getting far, far from court at the very least, and leaving Westeros outright would look like a very good option.

Okay, we now know the name of Aerion's son ,Maegor, and his mother, and daughter of Rhaegel, Daenora. Now the question: What the hell happened to him? He seemed to have vanish into thin air. Odd, a guy with a strong claim with crazy in his blood seems like someone to make a scene, an one got any ideas?

Uhum, the Brightfyre theory ;) I'm going to make an update on the thread soon, to discuss some of the things we have learned from TWOIAF.

Uhum, the Brightfyre theory ;) I'm going to make an update on the thread soon, to discuss some of the things we have learned from TWOIAF.

:P Knew you would pop up, just wanted to revive the topic now the name of the sweet prince has been given as well shows Aerion's kid not only bares the claim of Aerion, but Rhaegel as well.

:P Knew you would pop up, just wanted to revive the topic now the name of the sweet prince has been given as well shows Aerion's kid not only bares the claim of Aerion, but Rhaegel as well.

For what it's worth, I think we'll get a lot more Aerion in upcoming D&E tales than even I expected. There are his known ill deeds during the Third Blackfyre Rebellion. On top of that, I'm guessing Aerion will be behind Haegon's murder. It's also strange to see that the people who posed a threat to Aerion's claim to the IT seem to have died prematurely if you catch my drift.

A minor thing that caught my interest is, that Aerion is sometimes called Brightfire besides Brightflame. I can't find that name for him in D&E or the main series. Could it be a nod to the theory? ;)

I don't think so. I mean I'd love it if that were the case but I rather doubt it :) It's not a huge step from flame to fire after all :)

For what it's worth, I think we'll get a lot more Aerion in upcoming D&E tales than even I expected. There are his known ill deeds during the Third Blackfyre Rebellion. On top of that, I'm guessing Aerion will be behind Haegon's murder. It's also strange to see that the people who posed a threat to Aerion's claim to the IT seem to have died prematurely if you catch my drift.

They were just mentioned to have been "the deeds of Prince Aerion" (or wording close to this), right? The World Book doesn't specify whether they were positive of negative, IIRC.

They were just mentioned to have been "the deeds of Prince Aerion" (or wording close to this), right? The World Book doesn't specify whether they were positive of negative, IIRC.

It simply specifies the "actions" of Aerion, but I think there is definitely an implication that those actions were not altogether positive since they're referred to alongside the "leadership of Maekar" and "courage of Maekar's youngest son". Actions is a very neutral term whereas courage is certainly positve and leadership seems to be as well (since Maekar's side won). That contrast definitely implies, IMO, that Aerion's "actions" fall more under the ill deeds than the good deeds. Aerion being responsible for Haegon's murder would be one possibility.

It simply specifies the "actions" of Aerion, but I think there is definitely an implication that those actions were not altogether positive since they're referred to alongside the "leadership of Maekar" and "courage of Maekar's youngest son". Actions is a very neutral term whereas courage is certainly positve and leadership seems to be as well (since Maekar's side won). That contrast definitely implies, IMO, that Aerion's "actions" fall more under the ill deeds than the good deeds. Aerion being responsible for Haegon's murder would be one possibility.

Yeah, that was what I read in that as well. The juxtaposition of 'Aerion's deeds' with 'the courage of Egg and leadership of Maekar' makes Aerion's deeds look rather negative. I do think Yandel is talking about other things than assassinating Haegon though. If it was widely known that Aerion was responsible, he would have written that down. Of course I think Aerion did do it, but that only Dunk & Egg will know and won't be able to tell anyone else (lack of proof).

We know that Aerion and Bloodraven are both in the camp of people who demand Bittersteel's execution. Thus I'd guess that Aerion really was not necessarily the villain during the Third Rebellion. I also believe that they guy who murdered Haegon is known. It looks like he yielded on the battlefield, not exactly in some hidden courtyard or something like that.

But I could imagine that Aerion may do stuff during the Rebellion that makes matters worth for the Targaryens - say, by driving once loyal lords into the Blackfyre camp.

I wouldn't say that the neutral description of Aerions deeds means ithas to have been negative. I personally think that falls into the saw category of the logic "Maegor displayed dislike towards Bloodraven, and Aegon didn't, so it must have been Maekar who had Bloodraven imprisoned", a logic which we've seen was wrong. Aerion didn't so anything remarkable, and was generally disliked already, so I guess that whatever he did, in a summary of the war, it just isn't worth mebtioning what exactly it was. I'm not saying that Aerion can't have done anything negative, but I wouldn't conclude it from a neutral "deeds".

We can also expect some decent features of arms from Aerion. The book confirmed that he became capable knight eventually, and Yandel may refer to something like that. Daeron the Drunk would never excel in that field, which is why he probably was not mentioned.

I wouldn't say that the neutral description of Aerions deeds means ithas to have been negative. I personally think that falls into the saw category of the logic "Maegor displayed dislike towards Bloodraven, and Aegon didn't, so it must have been Maekar who had Bloodraven imprisoned", a logic which we've seen was wrong. Aerion didn't so anything remarkable, and was generally disliked already, so I guess that whatever he did, in a summary of the war, it just isn't worth mebtioning what exactly it was. I'm not saying that Aerion can't have done anything negative, but I wouldn't conclude it from a neutral "deeds".

While of course the idea that Aerion's actions must have been negative is an assumption, the contrast between how his actions are described versus Egg and Maekar does seem to suggest that they were not altogether good. Aerion's actions were certainly remarkable to some extent, though, as they are lumped in with Maekar and Egg's deeds as well as the second duel between Bloodraven and Bittersteel as something that "we know well" and thus don't need to be laid out before us in detail. I'd say that Aerion's actions being remarkable is much more strongly indicated than that his actions were necessarily negative.

There is certainly nothing certain about any of this, no, but unlike the "Maekar imprisoned Bloodraven" thoughts, the assumption that Aerion's actions during the Third Blackfyre Rebellion does, imo, come more directly from the text. Like the Maekar/Bloodraven idea, however, it also relies upon incomplete information, and to an extent what we otherwise know about Aerion (that he was a huge asshole). Obviously we'll have a better idea when we know more of the story. Until then, we simply don't have enough information to come to a more reliable conclusion

While of course the idea that Aerion's actions must have been negative is an assumption, the contrast between how his actions are described versus Egg and Maekar does seem to suggest that they were not altogether good.

Also, it's Aerion. Does anyone really expect this guy to do anything good?

Actually, I can't recall what it was, but I came across one or two things which, at the time, I interpreted to mean that Aerion was more capable than I imagined he was. Certainly not things that made him seem "good," but which made him seem like he played a role for his side in a battle or something. I don't remember what it was.

Archived