ASoIaF politicians and their real life counterparts.

Salafi Stannis

And basically offensive to those with different political or religious persuasions. Can we keep politics out of here?

I don't know if I would call it offensive. It's quite an interesting topic idea, especially due to how political the books really are.

If I had to make a comparison, I'd say Chris Christie is as close to a real-life Petyr Baelish as possible, in terms of political maneuvering. He is very good at climbing the political ladder and picking the right battles. Look into his history. It's my opinion that he had been planning a Presidential run in 2016 since before the 2012 election, but his bridge scandal fucked up his plans.

EDIT: And in terms of past politicians, LBJ was similar to Littlefinger as well.

EDIT 2: On second thought, LBJ is Roose Bolton. Minus the raping and flaying,

Offensive how? The only people I insulted were Vladmir Putin, for obvious reasons, I mean, can you honestly tell me who'd be offended by me calling Putin a morally unscrupulous masculinity obsessessed guy who likes to have his shirt off? And also, GW Bush, I understand how the second one can stir a little controversy with the small, more right leaning ASoIaF fanbase, but that's about it. And the only part of this which is about religion is when I said that Pope Francis doesn't really do much, but he is seen as a better person than his predecessor, where's the insult?

Well. You've managed to piss off Russian nationalists, American conservatives, and Catholics around the world. :thumbsup:

I can't stand Christie, he use his power to close a bridge for his own selfish reason

Christie is more like Joffrey- both use their power for petty reasons

Again, just like the OP, this annoys me because you've oversimplified both a complex situation and an entire man's political career.

You can say you dislike Christie because of the bridge, which I don't blame you, but you can't knock how well he had been working the political system beforehand. Very similar to LF, is what I'm saying.

EDIT: What Christie did was petty, but the point of it was to send a message to a fellow politician. This happens extremely often, they just seldom get caught,

If I had to make a comparison, I'd say Chris Christie is as close to a real-life Petyr Baelish as possible, in terms of political maneuvering. He is very good at climbing the political ladder and picking the right battles. Look into his history. It's my opinion that he had been planning a Presidential run in 2016 since before the 2012 election, but his bridge scandal fucked up his plans.

EDIT: And in terms of past politicians, LBJ was similar to Littlefinger as well.

EDIT 2: On second thought, LBJ is Roose Bolton. Minus the raping and flaying,

I doubt Chris Christie could climb any ladder.

Well. You've managed to piss off Russian nationalists, American conservatives, and Catholics around the world. :thumbsup:

How can we answer the question? Martin's story is full of corrupt, nasty, ignorant, idiotic politicians. Any politician compared to such people is being insulted, and their followers will also be insulted. If someone says that Obama is like Robb, then both people who like him, and people who don't like him, will be insulted, as Robb can go either way.

How is anyone to answer this question???

I would like to point out that everyone is tilting their comparisons based on their own political leanings, not that it is wrong, just wanted to point it out.

Also, not a fan of the W bashing. While I am no fan of him, I feel the mocking has just become the safe goto joke to make and it is getting old. I also do not think he was as bad as everyone likes to say he was (I also do not think Obama is as bad as his detractors say he is). That is all I am going to say and it is unlikely I will check back on this post so there is no point bashing me or trying to engage me in a debate over any of this. As a former Political Science major, I have grown tired of the debate because it is pointless, you are not going to change anyone else's mind.

Tyrion Lannister- Bill Clinton

The most intelligent men in their profession and they somehow managed to maintain some stability when they were in charge (Bill as President and Tyrion as Hand of the King) Oh, and there is that part about how lucky they are with the ladies (except for that one discretion in each of their records).

Ned Stark- John F Kennedy

Honorable men in high positions of power who were killed long before their time.

Robert Baratheon- Rob Ford

They're both jolly, they know how to party, and are well loved by their people despite being poor political leaders.

How can we answer the question? Martin's story is full of corrupt, nasty, ignorant, idiotic politicians. Any politician compared to such people is being insulted, and their followers will also be insulted. If someone says that Obama is like Robb, then both people who like him, and people who don't like him, will be insulted, as Robb can go either way.

How is anyone to answer this question???

But there it really depends on why I'm comparing them. For example, I compared Dany to Hilary Clinton, some people hate Dany, and some people love her, and if somebody hates Dany but loves Hilary, they might get offended, right? Wrong. Because it boils down to why I compared them, because I only said that Hilary is like Dany because they're both powerful women who are adored by their fans and abhorred by their enemies, which isn't an insult, it's a fact, and it's not offensive.

Tyrion Lannister- Bill Clinton

The most intelligent men in their profession and they somehow managed to maintain some stability when they were in charge (Bill as President and Tyrion as Hand of the King) Oh, and there is that part about how lucky they are with the ladies (except for that one discretion in each of their records).

[citation needed]

But there it really depends on why I'm comparing them. For example, I compared Dany to Hilary Clinton, some people hate Dany, and some people love her, and if somebody hates Dany but loves Hilary, they might get offended, right? Wrong. Because it boils down to why I compared them, because I only said that Hilary is like Dany because they're both powerful women who are adored by their fans and abhorred by their enemies, which isn't an insult, it's a fact, and it's not offensive.

Except it vastly depends on the opinions you're basing them off of. W is NOWHERE near the level of evil or incompetence or dubious power sourcing that Joffrey was.

We already have the Tyrion rape, Cersei molestation, Tywin raped Tyrion, constant posts about religion being the pacifier of the weak minded (from a small minority of posts thank the gods), the sexism accusations in Dany threads, the debate over the slaver's mass murder/punishment.

Can we please just leave real world politics out of it?

Except it vastly depends on the opinions you're basing them off of. W is NOWHERE near the level of evil or incompetence or dubious power sourcing that Joffrey was.

We already have the Tyrion rape, Cersei molestation, Tywin raped Tyrion, constant posts about religion being the pacifier of the weak minded (from a small minority of posts thank the gods), the sexism accusations in Dany threads, the debate over the slaver's mass murder/punishment.

Can we please just leave real world politics out of it?

I may have taken it a bit far with Dubya, but I couldn't resist. :D

after some thought , I see Stannis more as Reagan. I could see Stannis as a conservative president

Reagon's main strength was his charismatic personality, while Stannis could lose a personality face off with a dead fish. If Stannis is any Republican President it is Richard Nixon as for some reason he continued going on.

Archived