Archer Season Whatever: Caress of Krieger

Myshkin

Series=Season. The series usually last 12 episodes, and for most of them the last two have a connection. And looking up the episode names this one is a two parter as well.

Judging by the name of the two-parter ("Drastic Voyage"), I'm going to guess it's a spoof of the "Fantastic Voyage" movie where a crew gets shrunk down to miniaturized size so they can go into a person and perform needed surgery. Maybe Mallory will finally have that stroke they've been joking about?

And it was, as expected.

I think I'll like this episode more on re-watch. It felt a little dragged out this time, like they were trying to stretch a story that didn't quite fill two episodes into it - there were a couple of gags that dragged on too long to be really funny. Should be a good finale, though.

I'm getting sick of brain-damaged/clone Krieger, to be honest. I miss the old Krieger.

Thought it was a Meh episode. *shrug* Maybe part 2 will save it.

Yeah I want old Krieger back

Seconded!

Likewise, the Black Hand story line is already getting old for me.

That was certainly surprising in some ways.

This season set things up so that you think that Archer Vice was the diversion, a year spent outside of their normal work scrambling to make ends meet and fucking it up as usual. But it was actually this season that was the diversion - they're going into the seventh season of Archer broke and black-listed once again, except this time no one cares to keep an eye on them (to the point where they can't even get a ride back to a city in the desert). Should be interesting to see what Archer's "ideas" are, although knowing Archer they're probably stupid and half-cocked. The ending was definitely by the best part of this episode.

I especially love that they seem completely burnt out on espionage at this point. When Mallory says she'll try to find a way to get that back in with the CIA, Lana says, "Why bother?" - and she's right. They just generally suck at the spy game, are tired for working for the CIA, and getting one more opportunity to then fuck things up all over again isn't going to do much for them. It's Mallory who is in denial, and has been for years about being in the espionage game. At least now they hopefully won't have to worry as much about A.J. accidentally being left without parents, and Archer has an opportunity to really get out from under his mother's influence.

Other than that, mostly rather meh to be honest. I might enjoy it more on re-watch, but right now I think it's the worst of the season finales. There were a couple of running gags that weren't that funny, like most of the "TV's Michael Gray" stuff and Mallory's constant "Baby A.J. is fat" schtick.

That was a pretty good finale. Solid jokes throughout - except for the TV's Michael Gray thing, am I even meant to know who he is? I thought I would be really annoyed if they crippled Ray again but that was hilarious. Mixed feelings about the whole ending thing but I'm sure it will end up being great. They didn't feel the need to end on a cliffhanger or emotional moment, just anticipation for the next season...and Ray dying of sepsis in a wheelbarrow.

It was better than the previous episode (which was pretty bad), but I still thought this was pretty meh. The whole Michael Gray thing didn't just fall flat, it actively sucked the life out of what could have been a pretty good finale.

Archer's "Yeah, I was totally going to frag you" delivery was just perfect. I was a little bothered by Lana's "It's their fault! They put us in a position to fail!" attitude, because, really... they totally suck and screwed that up on their own, as they did the previous two missions.

The only good things about the "TV's Michael Gray!" bit were the whole "TV's Michael Gray is staring at us" bit when Dr. W solicited Slater for sex, and the fact that someone managed to stow away on the ship despite the CIA's best preparations. Other than that, it was just annoying - hell, it ended up being completely pointless. They mentioned that they were going to run out of oxygen because him stowing away even before they ran out of time on the clock, but then forgot about it and never brought it up again.

There was maybe a little more than one episode's worth of material in that two-part finale, but definitely not enough for two episodes.

They mentioned that they were going to run out of oxygen because him stowing away even before they ran out of time on the clock, but then forgot about it and never brought it up again.

Presumably that was because two members were outside for a few mins but agreed, they never brought it up.

Well, if this series is any indication I get why they did the Vice season, the writers were clearly running a little short of ideas. Was especially unimpressed with Krieger. I quite like Archer and Lana being more of a serious item and still being funny.

I do wonder what the ideas are, as they've already done the obvious crime one. Maybe they literally try a new profession each time, like running an airline or something.

knowing Archer they're probably stupid and half-cocked.

He's totally fully cocked.

Let's have some ideas!

What would Archer consider a good idea to make money that doesn't involve espionage? Making and selling moon-shine? Smuggling? Professional alligator wrestling? Yakuza car racing?

Archived