Football 100million: #6seasonsAndaRelegation

Grand Moff Mithrandir

Let's be fair: 3-0 was well harsh on the overall balance of play. And they did lose their best player at half time.

But yeah, they're not going to be top 4 at Christmas. Obviously.

For a good hour of that match they were nowhere at all. But as you say, they won't be top four this season. No chance. In the same way Chelsea will obviously lose a game at some point, Southampton aren't really top 4 material this year over a season.

In other news, Neil Ashton gave Mangala 1/10 for his performance today which is obviously attention seeking insanity but do speak to the fact that the tabloid media have decided they don't like him and will take any opportunity to say so.

Ok just got home. What a great trip Southampton is. Don't think we've got any Saints on here but I just wanted to say what a great day they put on. The police don't treat you like criminals. The away fans pub is set up beforehand with a dj who plays your clubs songs. The staff in the away end all wear your clubs colours. The home fans weren't bitter afterwards.

I think it's just because they're Really Nice People. Thanks to the people of Southampton. Great day out

Innit. It was a pleasant surprise to get off the train and not be confronted by dozens of police. It meant the atmosphere wasn't immediately poisoned and was more "lovely drunken day at the seaside" rather than "we're unwelcome here and they're waiting to attack/arrest us". Made the whole day better.

Being treated like dangerous farm animals on away days gets tiresome.

@Alex:

I remember German police being praised for the way they handled fans during 2006 World Cup.

They mingled with fans, talked to them, shared a laugh and all that, but were seen all over the place.

They approached fans with "have fun and enjoy, we're not here to stop any of that, just to ensure everyone is safe" attitude which was recognized and respected by fans.

It certainly gave much better results than treating all fans like a bunch of alcohol and drug crazed hooligans.

@Alex:

I remember German police being praised for the way they handled fans during 2006 World Cup.

They mingled with fans, talked to them, shared a laugh and all that, but were seen all over the place.

They approached fans with "have fun and enjoy, we're not here to stop any of that, just to ensure everyone is safe" attitude which was recognized and respected by fans.

It certainly gave much better results than treating all fans like a bunch of alcohol and drug crazed hooligans.

I was there. They did this and it was pretty comfortable all the way around. Loves my time in Germany during the World Cup.

Went to Shite Hart Lane for the North London Derby a few years back. Never again. A mate of mine got his jaw broken by one of their 'stewards'.

Sorry to hear that. WHL is one of the worst I've been to. Stewards are a joke and the police really give you little or no protection on the way back to the station after. Never been set upon but it feels like it's only a matter of time. The locals just don't like anyone. Must be grim going up there as a Gooner.

Baxus - I've heard good and bad about the German police but I agree that friendly policing is the best way. Rarely see any trouble which isn't in part caused by aggressive policing tactics, trapping you in small spaces for no reason etc

I should add as well that it remains an absolute privilege to see Lampard in a City shirt. One of my favourite players ever but never thought it would happen. Going to enjoy this while it lasts

I've only seen Lampard play live once, and that was in a vanity preseason friendly against Seattle Sounders some years back. He must have been contractually obliged to play the whole game--in the second half he was gassed and I don't think he left the centre circle, but he was ruthlessly effective all the same. Very, very smart player.

Klopp is no longer on my managers-who-could-replace-Wenger list.

what on earth is going on at dortmund? it is scary how far they have fallen. and bayern have not even began to buy them to death yet.

i like bayern a great deal...but i hate how they are slowly strangling the bundesliga to death with their noose of cash.

Hopefully, he'll play on field turf. I never got to see Henry because of that. :(

i saw henry three times in dc.

the first time i was new to the dc area and still into portland a great deal. i saw henry score twice. it was cool.

the next two times i was in the stands yelling at and booing him. it felt a bit dirty to be honest. i love the guy. i have all my life. he was always one of those players i loved to watch play. the statue of him outside the emirates is pretty fucking cool.

now, frank, i respect him for what he brings as a professional. but, he is a chelsea boy in his soul. i hate chelsea. i just wish he had brought john terry with him. that is another guy i would love to hurl obscenities at from the stands.

i saw henry three times in dc.

the first time i was new to the dc area and still into portland a great deal. i saw henry score twice. it was cool.

the next two times i was in the stands yelling at and booing him. it felt a bit dirty to be honest. i love the guy. i have all my life. he was always one of those players i loved to watch play. the statue of him outside the emirates is pretty fucking cool.

now, frank, i respect him for what he brings as a professional. but, he is a chelsea boy in his soul. i hate chelsea. i just wish he had brought john terry with him. that is another guy i would love to hurl obscenities at from the stands.

Well, technically Frank was a West Ham lad before we canned his old man and sold him to Chelsea...

Terry also trained at the Academy before he was poached.

Just sayin'.

Archived