Does Meereen HAVE to lose the siege?

King Tommen Baratheon

I predict that Drogon will be declared the Stallion that Mounts the World by the Dosh Khaleen, and Dany will be named Khal of Khals because she is its rider. She will return to Mereen after having united the Dothraki Khalasars together and utterly smash everyone.

:agree: :bowdown:

I don't think Dany will show up for the battle at all, so she can't really lose it.

It will be a fight between the Meereenese people's front and the people's front of Meereen and whoever wins will have to go and track her down in the Dothraki Sea afterwards (by whoever wins I mean Tyrion).

Well, if the Slavers did win the battle, that might be enough to get Dany to decide to pull out of Slavers Bay if she has anything left.

Yes, but since there is not an unlimited amount of pages left. it makes narratively more sense to have her entire arc going somewhere where she actually do stuff, I think it is more likely the battle will end with the other possible outcome that gives her freedom to leave Mereen (probability of her just leaving is next to zero imo).

As in she wins, the slaver coaltition is crushed (perhaps ending the their rule for good. The revolutions were already brewing as is, after all), Mereen can establish a new leader, job done.

As in she wins, the slaver coaltition is crushed (perhaps ending the their rule for good. The revolutions were already brewing as is, after all), Mereen can establish a new leader, job done.

After what happened with the council she left to rule Astapor, I'm not sure she would just leave them with "a new leader"... Perhaps she'll leave Barristan and Missandei behind to help rule, or something? :dunno:

Random theory, though somewhat coherent to the topic discussed. Tyrion manages to enter the city and becomes politically active again in Meereen. Perhaps he could sort some of the problems out. He might also be able to deduce that the poisoned locusts scheme was a ploy of the Shavepate to frame Hizdahr and to distrupt the peace that was finally beginning to be acheived in Meereen.

The pro-Dany side can still lose, I suppose, if the following happens:

The two dragons, motivated more by wild rage than hunger, go around burninating not only the armies of Yunkai, but also Barristan's forces and the Ironborn. It turns into a Field of Fire II, as all the armies and navies currently deployed around Meereen are destroyed, and the city itself either burns or ends up packed with the various refugees. The Pale Mare races through the ranks of survivors, killing more people than actually die in combat. The dragons either fly off or die during the battle.

And then after that, the delayed Volantene fleet arrives, deploying its troops for the easy mop-up victory.

I predict that Drogon will be declared the Stallion that Mounts the World by the Dosh Khaleen, and Dany will be named Khal of Khals because she is its rider. She will return to Mereen after having united the Dothraki Khalasars together and utterly smash everyone.

She could also turn a super-khalasar directly against Volantis and/or Pentos, particularly if she learns in the meantime that Volantis has declared war on her.

It's an interesting idea that the Shavepate may close the gates on Barristan and co, but I suspect Tyrion would find a way around that, if so. I'm pretty convinced both the Second Sons and the Windblown will defect to Dany, but one thing that could still go wrong is conflict between the Iron Born and Barristan. Allthough both are fighting the slavers, their goals beyond that may not be compatible, perhaps not even for a short while.

I think she keeps heading east, regardless if she wins at Mereen or not. She may even travel as far as at whats left of Valaryia or perhaps A visit to the shadow lands.

Perhaps by the end of TWOW she will begin her trip to Westeros, she might even get there about half way into A dream of spring

I agree that Dany will have to lose Meereen. I think GRRM never bungled with the Meereenese knot, he intended to be impossible for her to leave otherwise than in defeat. And I don't think it will be good for her sanity.

I'm not sure she will win the dothraki either. Anyway she could never transport them over to Westeros. We see Dany meeting again with Jhaqo at ADWD end. But for GRRM to place it there, it must be a deception, like Jon Snow stabbing to death. And Jhaqo is not the guy to accept Dany rule.

Kind of like Cersei, Sansa and Arianne? I see your point, though. The reason why I liked Barristan's chapters is because he's not magically fixing Dany's mistakes, but rather making things worse (if we believe the Shavepate is playing him).

Of course, unlike Barristan, Tyrion and Victarion would be the right people to fix the Slaver's Bay mess, albeit in different ways. Tyrion has experience playing the game, and Vic would just cut the game in two, but I still want to see Dany getting out of the hole she dug herself, in her own way

Well, Cersei is set up to fail. Sansa and Arianne, their plots are not yet concluded. And I see nothing wrong if at the end, Arienne fucks up big. BIG.

I'm aware of GRRM caring little for readers' opinions, but I wouldn't like a plot in which Barristan, Tyrion and V solve the political mess that Meereen is, only for Dany to arrive with Drogon and smash everything because, well, you know: 'girl can't do nothing, blah blah'.

What I believe Barristan, VIc and Tyrion will do is to try to keep the city in order until she returns (i suppose they will have news of him, because Vic is going for her, not just the dragons). Once she returns, she will take place as a Queen and kill everybody.

(If course, I don't oppose the idea of Victarion axing the meereenese knot, though. DO IT VIC, we have urgent need of your axe!!!)

I agree that Dany will have to lose Meereen. I think GRRM never bungled with the Meereenese knot, he intended to be impossible for her to leave otherwise than in defeat. And I don't think it will be good for her sanity.

I'm not sure she will win the dothraki either. Anyway she could never transport them over to Westeros. We see Dany meeting again with Jhaqo at ADWD end. But for GRRM to place it there, it must be a deception, like Jon Snow stabbing to death. And Jhaqo is not the guy to accept Dany rule.

If she leaves for Westeros, defeated or not, her cause will not do well in Essos.

One dramatic way she could be defeated is if her two dragons decide to burn down everyone and everything, indiscriminately.

The Meereenese can win the battle and the city still burn. In the aftermath, you just need a sharp divide that brings tensions between the Meereenese to a boiling point. Then all hell breaks loose with rioting, firing, and the like. Dany, returning to the ruins, would be truly tested as the Mhysa, for she would have to show equal amounts of sympathy for all of Meereen, the populace having been made equal by their city's self-destruction.

After reading sample chapters, I have this gut feeling that one of the two battles must be lost by characters we care about. Right now, Stannis and Dany are going to win in North and Meeren respectively. All the sample chapters have been very promisingly optimistic for our protagonists. I think when the actual book is published, some twist is gonna happen. I don't mind Meereen burning, but Tyrion and Jorah shouldn't get hurt.

Archived