Was Daenerys a successful person?

Elia Sand

It's not really the path of a successful conqueror. This is not what Aegon the Conqueror did, for example. Aegon made a few brutal examples, yes, but only so he could make others bend the knee without a fight. What you are describing is more akin to what Genghis Khan did way back when. Let me ask you, the Mongolians built the largest empire the world has ever seen, but have you ever met a Mongolian nowadays? Genghis was like Chella, he collected ears of his victims (by the sack loads), he also made pyramids out of heads like you say. In the end, barbarians know nothing about leadership and their quickly built empires collapse as soon as they leave the city. It was similar with the Aztecs, they were so barbarous with their human sacrifice that Cortez was so easily able to find countless local allies to help topple their empire. Their own barbarity was the seeds of their downfall.

Dany's failure at politics means she is doomed. Perhaps someone like Tyrion could save her, but from what we've seen already, Tyrion is fighting his own war and cares nothing for others, and Dany is primed to lead a barbarian horde in a sweep of the land that can be nothing other than brutal. Kill, rape, enslave. This is what Dothraki do and that is what's going to happen. And when the dust settles, if Dany is left on the Iron Throne, people will want revenge for it and she won't last long.

Dany has to be the least successful character.

Tyrion cares about Penny. He also helped Jorah. You make it seem like he lost all of his humanity which is not true at all.

To the bolded...the Dothraki might operate that way, but Dany does not. If she becomes the leader of the Dothrakis and takes them to Westeros (which I agree will happen) with the purpose of conquering (not definitely as she may participate in the fight against the Others), she wouldn't want them raping or enslaving. She is very against both of those activities.

This.

Haters gonna hate.

Dany gets quite a lot of criticism here, but my impression is that among general readers of the books, and even more, viewers of the Show, she's the most popular major character by a country mile.

Dany gets quite a lot of criticism here, but my impression is that among general readers of the books, and even more, viewers of the Show, she's the most popular major character by a country mile.

There's a lot of Dany-hate, which is kind of sad since I find her plot the most interesting.

There's a lot of Dany-hate, which is kind of sad since I find her plot the most interesting.

I myself don't hate Dany.

But what I find strange is that almost none of the ill feelings other fans have towards her is at all related to her making the streets of Astapor run red with blood.

There's a lot about Dany I don't like, but hate probably goes a bit far. It really seems to boil down to people tending to get awfully riled up whenever someone doesn't like what they like. She is an interesting part of the story either way.

Indeed. Some of the ways she deals with problems are different to what we normally go through, after all.

we all like danny and think she is amaizing as a person but not as a leader.Currently the only guyz following her out of loyalty are barristan,the few dothraki who stayed with her and maybe you can chip in the Unsullied,the rest are with her bcoz they are in love with her or want her dragons.No one is following her bcoz she is a good leader.In Mereen she failed terribly to the point where they wanted to poison her at her own wedding.Her fomer allies have declared war on her,she still has some betrayals and deaths prophecies she has not fulfilled.lets just say she has a lot of trouble coming her way.Her love life is equally fucked up let me not go there.

So no she isnt successful and i dont think she will be in thr future.I mean cmon who would support anyone bringing thr savage dothraki into the seven kingdoms.these guyz are notorius rapists,slavers and who the fuck kills people during weddings and its not like danny can just wake up and say no more raping..its there bloody culture practised since the dawn of time.Besides supporting her means the daughters of the lords will be married of to the dothraki and unsullied.which lord would want something like that?Besides there are two people in westeros with better claims one needing his parentage confirmed (Jon) and another one needing his parentage disapproved (fAegon) hence she cant just declare herself queen and sit on the Iron Throne with her sellsword lover.

we all like danny and think she is amaizing as a person but not as a leader.Currently the only guyz following her out of loyalty are barristan,the few dothraki who stayed with her and maybe you can chip in the Unsullied,the rest are with her bcoz they are in love with her or want her dragons.No one is following her bcoz she is a good leader.In Mereen she failed terribly to the point where they wanted to poison her at her own wedding.Her fomer allies have declared war on her,she still has some betrayals and deaths prophecies she has not fulfilled.lets just say she has a lot of trouble coming her way.Her love life is equally fucked up let me not go there.

So no she isnt successful and i dont think she will be in thr future.I mean cmon who would support anyone bringing thr savage dothraki into the seven kingdoms.these guyz are notorius rapists,slavers and who the fuck kills people during weddings and its not like danny can just wake up and say no more raping..its there bloody culture practised since the dawn of time.Besides supporting her means the daughters of the lords will be married of to the dothraki and unsullied.which lord would want something like that?Besides there are two people in westeros with better claims one needing his parentage confirmed (Jon) and another one needing his parentage disapproved (fAegon) hence she cant just declare herself queen and sit on the Iron Throne with her sellsword lover.

And the thousands of freed slaves who lover her, and call her Mysha.

People probably thought the same thing about the Iron Born before Aegon and his sisters took over.

People probably thought the same thing about the Iron Born before Aegon and his sisters took over.

currently the pale mare,the sons of harpy and the siege of mereen is depleting the slave population while their messiah is MIA.

the Iron born still reverted to their ways of worshiping the drowned god and after roberts rebellion went back to raiding the coastal villages so Aegon really didnt change them

the Iron born still reverted to their ways of worshiping the drowned god and after roberts rebellion went back to raiding the coastal villages so Aegon really didnt change them

Key words, after Robert's Rebellion. For the most part the Targs subdued the IB for the better part of 300 years.

Compared to other characters near her age (Robb,Jon,Joffrey,Sansa,Margaery,Aegon) she is the most successful (up to now).She started as a beggar and became a conqueror,with army,wealth and dragons. Her success did not come 100% from her abilities, but also from luck,magic(birth of the dragons) and very good counsellors(Jorah and Barristan).I was happy to see in her last chapter in DWD she is about to change her girlish behaviour in Meereen.But she lacks the knowledge of the Seven Kingdoms which can be her undoing if she takes the IT.

Don't forget the slaves of Volantis, who haven't even met her, but want her to come to Volantis to lead their rebellion.

Besides supporting her means the daughters of the lords will be married of to the dothraki and unsullied.

Wot now??

Dany is going to force noble born women to marry eunichs? What do you base this on exactly?

As for the dothraki, we'll have to see what she does wth them, but The dothraki are nomads - I don't think most of them would be happy settling down in a castle somewhere. IMO it's Most likely they will return to the dothraki sea after a successful invasion or die in the great battle in the north.

Wot now??

Dany is going to force noble born women to marry eunichs? What do you base this on exactly?

As for the dothraki, we'll have to see what she does wth them, but The dothraki are nomads - I don't think most of them would be happy settling down in a castle somewhere. IMO it's Most likely they will return to the dothraki sea after a successful invasion or die in the great battle in the north.

its westerosi politics 101 you dont let your enemeies marry into other enemy houses.its safe to assume that not many of the seven noble houses will be in a rush to support her being that currently a lot of them have stakes i.e Tyrells and Lannisters,the North and Riverlands have their iwn issues to sort out,Littlefinger is currently in the Vale playing some sort of game,the stormlands...i dont even know whats going on there and not forgetting the looming Dorne-fAegon alliance in the making.She can not let any of these factions intermarry or else she will be killed in her sleep before becoming queen.So if you do the math she will be forced to force unions between some of these lords houses to her loyalists which last time i checked are a bunch of sellswords,eunuchs and savages.

Im basing this argument from Aegons conquest in which many noble houses were formed eg Baratheon in which commoners married noble wives and established new houses.

Wot now??

its westerosi politics 101 you dont let your enemeies marry into other enemy houses.its safe to assume that not many of the seven noble houses will be in a rush to support her being that currently a lot of them have stake in which her getting the IT will be disadvantagious or catastrophic i.e Tyrells and Lannisters and the IT,the North and Riverlands have their own issues to sort out,Littlefinger is currently in the Vale concorting some sort of scheme,the stormlands...i dont even know whats going on there and not forgetting the looming Dorne-fAegon alliance in the making.She can not let any of these factions intermarry or else she will be killed in her sleep before becoming queen.So if you do the math she will be forced to force unions between some of these lords houses to her loyalists which last time i checked are a bunch of sellswords,eunuchs and savages.

Im basing this argument from Aegons conquest in which many noble houses were formed eg Baratheon in which commoners married noble wives and established new houses.

I think even if she ends up not doing anything else for the rest of the books or ends up failing to achieve anything more (however unlikely that is from a narrative perspective), she would still be a successful person purely based on what she's done so far. She has had some major victories, both personal, military, and political, and that can't be taken away from her. It seems the social system in a large part of the world is about to be overhauled thanks to her, and even if it's finished by other people and takes generations, being a catalyst to the abolition of slavery is in and of itself a very respectable legacy.

Absolutely.

It's almost certain that the work that she started with the abolition of slavery won't be ended by her. It'll take a long time to change the system completely. I'm of the belief that she will use those Dothraki that choose to follow her to help her put an end to the capturing of slaves by the Dothraki. Of course not all Dothraki will agree with this but if she has a strong enough following she can make a substantial change in that process.

What a silly statement. She's brought back dragons from extinction, guided her people through the Red Waste, obtained a massive army, conquered 3 cities, freed thousands of slaves, and this is all by the age of 16. I expect her to keep adding to that list in the remaining books.

She's also much more successful in one very important aspect compared to some of the other characters, she's still alive.

I don't think she achieved anything she wanted to however. It's like giving someone a machine gun in a crowded market place, then hailing them as an expert killer. She had a famous name and a few dragons to show off. With that, she made a proper mess of Slaver's Bay. Her goal was to end slavery and misery. Whilst she has dealt a temporary blow to slavery, people are suffering more than ever before and slavers want vengeance and will probably get it. So what has she really achieved?

Archived