Bakker XXXII: The Acts of Fane

Anatúrinbor

I can’t think of anything else in Eärwa that would have the effect of a dragon spewing fire (namely, directed fiery destruction at close to medium range). So the Dragonhead makes complete sense. It’s not necessary for me, or anybody in Eärwa, to have ever seen a dragon.

If Eärwan anagogic scholars knew what a modern flamethrower was, they could have built a spell that resembled that.

(It would be very entertaining to hear suggestions for other anagogic spells. A case could be made for an erupting volcano, which would have the same use as the falling sun. I fully expect a spell like that to have been researched at some time. It may work, they may all know it. But since it does the same as a Falling Sun, either the Volcano or the Falling Sun is better (more damage, faster, whatever), so one of them would be preferred in most situations. In fact, the spell I call “Volcano” could be the Meppa Cateract for all I know, so we may have seen it in action. Other ideas? Destructive phenomena in nature, or your imagination, that would make a good Anagogic spell?)

There might be a case for an anagogic spell that simulated a Gnostic mage. It’s certainly something that an anagogic sorcerer can imagine and talk about, so they could have a spell that produces a ghostly image of Seswata using the Third Theorem of Whatever.

But I think the possibility of such a construction could be rule out in-universe by some appeal to levels of abstraction. (“You can’t effectively think about a linguistically more abstract thing using a mere analogy” or something. Throw some early 20th century formal logic after that idea to dress it up and Bob’s your nuncle.)

But out-of-universe it would simply not be very cool to have magicians simulate other magicians.

cool analogy might be Arborescent Fury, wherein mighty oak roots, over the course of one thousand years, bust up through the adversary's sidewalks and garden paths, causing one's enemy mild aesthetic inconvenience thereby?

Ah, the sorcery of the ancient orchard.

The Falling Apple! The Slightly Inconvenient Hedge!

Maybe the specific analogy is that the sorcerer holds the dragon by the phallus, giving a tug to cause flame-breath, kind of like a big ethereal puppet that ejaculates fire from its mouth. A dragon wouldn't burn itself with its own fire, and the flame just wouldn't come anywhere near its large, thorny phallus.

Maybe their analogy doesn't include the burning of their own flesh?

Well, there’s that knife that cuts according to the ‘weilder’s intent’ so there could be some truth to this.

But I’m also concerned about how Chorae work, which doesn’t seem that plausible to me. Consider this scene,

The majestic head bowed.

He turned to Balait, crying, “Run!”

The horned maw opened and spewed blinding flame.

Teeth snapped. Skin blistered and sloughed. But Cnaüir felt nothing, only the warmth thrown by Balait’s burning shadow. There was a momentary shriek, the sound of bones and bowels exploding.

Then the froth of sun-bright fire was gone. Bewildered, Cnaüir found himself in the center of burnt ruin. Balait and the other Utemot still burned, sizzling like swine on the spit. The air smelt of ash and pork.

How did Cnaiür only feel the warmth from Balait’s burning body but not the warmth from the air all around him that was heated by the dragon fire? And how does it make sense that he wasn’t hurt at all? I mean, if you stick your body into an oven you’ll get badly hurt even if the flames are not touching you.

Well, theres that knife that cuts according to the weilders intent so there could be some truth to this.

But Im also concerned about how Chorae work, which doesnt seem that plausible to me. Consider this scene,

How did Cnaiür only feel the warmth from Balaits burning body but not the warmth from the air all around him that was heated by the dragon fire? And how does it make sense that he wasnt hurt at all? I mean, if you stick your body into an oven youll get badly hurt even if the flames are not touching you.

Plausible? It's fucking magic. The chorae protects you from magic, so tje magical flames dont exist for Cnauir. Plus from the quote it could be simply artistic license with the description of what he feels the heat from. I'd agree its odd, if you need to really delve into it, that the superheated air doesn't scorch his lungs but a chorae bearer can be killed by bringing down the building they're in down on their head.

Any magic system is going to fall apart on enough examination... Because it isn't real.

Any magic system is going to fall apart on enough examination... Because it isn't real.

I don’t see why.

You might argue that Chorae is by design the point at which the magic system falls apart. But the problem is that Chorae seem to consistently operate under some set of rules. For instance, it protects what a person is wearing but not what they’re riding. I think Bakker should’ve introduced some randomness into the process.

For instance, it protects what a person is wearing but not what they’re riding.

I think you make valid points, and I enjoy talking about such things. Basically I’m on your side: there must be a mistake somewhere.

But let’s play the game: Bakkermagic is based on meaning – it’s a linguistic concept. Hence it makes perfect sense that the concepts of “target” includes what a person is wearing but not what he is riding, since that is exactly how language operates. The concept of “person” normally includes the person’s clothes.

(“When I invited you to the party, I didn’t mean your clothes!” is silly. “We have room for you, but not for your horse” makes complete sense.)

Superheated air is much more difficult to explain away. If the laws of physic works in Eärwa, I should be able to torch somebody with a Dragonhead or hit him with an Odanai Concussion Chant anyway, because of heated or compressed air. Or what? (Do note that we always have the following outs: Eärwa works like ancients believed. No evolution. Maybe also no physics – air doesn’t get warm, “rays from the sun” do. So do flames.)

Archived