SPOILERS - The New Bakker Story (or the first half anyways)

bakkerfans

Um, I live in Pennsylvania too (in Camp Hill).

BTW, Grimdark Magazine (both the first one and the current issue) can be purchased instantly from Amazon. The first issue contains a Mark Lawrence "Broken Empire" short story. So we get Lawrence then Bakker. Pretty fantastic, I'd say. It also had an Adrian Tchaikovsky "Shadows of the Apt" story, for those apt to read him.

I wonder if he can tell the entire story of the First Apocalypse in one book, though. I’m sure once he starts writing he’ll find out that he needs at least three books. The same with PoN.

Anyway, I’d more interested in a Cûno-Inchoroi Wars standalone.

I'm sure this would be case, HW. There are ZTS posts by Bakker implying that he wanted to write a Cûno-Inchoroi standalone.

Am I the only one hoping for The Semantic Apocalypse? Anything that makes transhumanists balk at their own agenda is good fun - plus a book about people fucking with their minds & bodies would be very Bakker-ish.

Semantica is still forthcoming, Sci :).

I must say, though, that some of the responses in this thread are quite hiairlous (in a good way!) I hope you enjoy the magazine issue and my review that'll be included in it.

- J

Thanks much for your efforts, Jeremy. Congratulations :).

The very notion of getting regular short stories from RSB set in Earwa was the sole reason I subscribed to the magazine...

I don't believe Grimdark is going to publish Bakker regularly, Absolûroi. That said, there was another short that Bakker announced on TPB when he revealed Knife of Many Hands in need of publication now that the anthology it was a part of has fallen through (though, I don't know that it's an Atrocity Tale or not - that is within Earwa or otherwise).

I'd be interested to know when Madness made his purchase, because if it was today then he was able to read it same-day.

I made my purchase yesterday morning, yes. It was immediate.

BTW, Grimdark Magazine (both the first one and the current issue) can be purchased instantly from Amazon. The first issue contains a Mark Lawrence "Broken Empire" short story. So we get Lawrence then Bakker. Pretty fantastic, I'd say. It also had an Adrian Tchaikovsky "Shadows of the Apt" story, for those apt to read him.

Yeah, it must be nice for Grimdark to have "Big Name" legitimization straight out of the gate.

Bought it, read it. It was okay. tremendously disappointing that all the characters in this different time and setting have identical mental eamd thoughts and "absolutedomination4evah(!)" goals as the characters from books in the main line. I liked that false sun and 4 revelations had characters that thought differently and pursued different goals.

Interesting detail about Nail luminescence : The Nail of Heaven burnished his hairless scalp… (3801 Year-of-the-Tusk)

In the False Sun, the Nail is still bright enough to give Shae a shadow.

As far as I know, the at the time of the Kellian empire, the Nail is just a (bright) star.

This is consistent with the idea of a gradually declining brightness, observed only by us readers. (But then, why is this never remarked on by Mandate sorcerers?)

Boil a frog effect? No one measures the brightness of the nail because it seems constant throughout their life?

Edit, sunovabitch I just realized of course the mandate would see the difference, as you say. Dreams drawn from the sheath.

Exactly. Nobody else would think anything is strange (except we, who as readers, receive seemingly objective descriptions from the ignorant narrator, who fails to realise that this is important.)

But Mandate schoolmen get HD-quality video from the past every night. Possibly, there are shelves and shelves in the library of Atyersus about this phenomenon.

Exactly. Nobody else would think anything is strange (except we, who as readers, receive seemingly objective descriptions from the ignorant narrator, who fails to realise that this is important.)

But Mandate schoolmen get HD-quality video from the past every night. Possibly, there are shelves and shelves in the library of Atyersus about this phenomenon.

Unless big Ses was manipulating this detail. Nonmen geriatrics should.also pick up.on this, though.

Thanks much for your efforts, Jeremy. Congratulations :).

Why thank you, good sir.

Also, for those of you who did pick it up, could you be bothered to maybe pop over to Goodreads and give it the appropriate rating/review? Would be very much appreciated (will also show that I'm not fibbing out being in the issue, lol)

Cheers,

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24179621-grimdark-magazine

a couple of things that stuck out to me from the story:

- the physical description of Shinurta seemed decayed in a way similar to Shauriatus description in the TUC ch excerpt, maybe? chanv-consult link?

- the combination of hints about the Scarlett Spires summoning demons and the presence of a character that allegedly becomes possessed by Gilgaol-- is the SS trying to trap Gilgaol?

- the Sranc pits are where men fight men and sranc, no? if so, perhaps they are breeding extra-violent sranc for the games. this could lead to other stories where there is a sranc prison break and Carythusal is terrorized

- all the pit, pit, pit stuff and the description of the SS towers as "The famed crimson gleamed black in the light of the Nail, HORNS soaring into the VOID" made me think that Bakker will be doing more parallels between the SS and the Consult. could Iyokus be capable of deceiving and betraying the Great Ordeal?

- the second heart thing is cool--who was the character of yore who had 2 hearts? plus this may have something to do with Kellhus ripping out one heart while still being animated by one? lol, if Seswatha had 2 hearts, he could leave one with the Mandate and then (using super chill longevity spells) hang out in the depths of Ishual and organize the Dunyain experiment from the shadows! :P

- goddamn i love the construction of the sranc pits with viewers hanging over to see down!

- so when the Hewer is knocked out--is that the same poison used on Nau-Cayuti? does this imply that NC's wife may have been a witch? really would like to see her in TUC

- a few favorite bits:
"But the old slaver was already shaking his head. ‘Philosophers,’ he spat. ‘It’s their curse to confuse their skullpan for the sky–bah!"

"hey despise my kind because we fit no hand save our own. Treachery is the very essence of Intellect–they know this the way cattle know wolves. The rapacious Intellect is the treacherous Intellect"

1. the physical description of Shinurta seemed decayed in a way similar to Shauriatus description in the TUC ch excerpt, maybe? chanv-consult link?

2. the combination of hints about the Scarlett Spires summoning demons and the presence of a character that allegedly becomes possessed by Gilgaol-- is the SS trying to trap Gilgaol?

3. the second heart thing is cool--who was the character of yore who had 2 hearts? plus this may have something to do with Kellhus ripping out one heart while still being animated by one? lol, if Seswatha had 2 hearts, he could leave one with the Mandate and then (using super chill longevity spells) hang out in the depths of Ishual and organize the Dunyain experiment from the shadows! :P

4. "But the old slaver was already shaking his head. ‘Philosophers,’ he spat. ‘It’s their curse to confuse their skullpan for the sky–bah!"

1. Hm… to me it sounded like the standard effect of sorcery.

2. Ah. That’s a plausible plot. I was wondering why the Spires suddenly were entering the pit fighting business. Very good.

3. I think the Hewer’s second heart is just metaphorical, but I need to re-read those passages.

4. That went over my head. What is a sky-bah?

Archived