SPOILERS - The New Bakker Story (or the first half anyways)

bakkerfans

I'm sure it's still in his mind - but if he was secure in writing full-time (we might as well start crowdfunding his daughter's college fund now), then I know there are other stories in him to tell before he circles back to a First Apocalypse standalone.

I wonder if he can tell the entire story of the First Apocalypse in one book, though. I’m sure once he starts writing he’ll find out that he needs at least three books. The same with PoN.

Anyway, I’d more interested in a Cûno-Inchoroi Wars standalone.

The PoN/AE books have sold over 125,000 copies for Overlook alone. For a small American press, that's pretty good. Add in the sales for Orbit (a much bigger publisher) and foreign translations and Bakker has probably cleared 250,000. Not bad for what remains a relatively obscure fantasy series.

To put it in perspective, though, Joe Abercrombie has sold well north of 3 million copies. The Name of the Wind by itself has likely sold well over a million copies. A relative newcomer like Mark Lawrence has sold over 300,000 and is likely closing in on half a million total, in just three and a half years. Even Scott Lynch has shifted over half a million copies of The Lies of Locke Lamora by itself. Bakker's okay, but 250,000 sales in ten years is firmly in 'cult author' territory.

As I've said many times before, we pretty much need Overlook to drop the series at this point and for Orbit USA to take it over. They can give it a bigger push and get it on the shelves in the US, which is where a lot of the problems are occurring. Yes, it's a niche and philosophical work, but so are the Dune books and they've done 'okay' (to the tune of 20 million sales and climbing).

If orbit USA does take over they should do it on the condition tdtcb is a second edition, he could be free to change the text but really all you have to do is interleave the chapters in a more coherent narrative structure. Once the first book doesn't have a reader defeating approach and uses an approach used in the other four books, sales should double.

I'm sure it's still in his mind - but if he was secure in writing full-time (we might as well start crowdfunding his daughter's college fund now), then I know there are other stories in him to tell before he circles back to a First Apocalypse standalone.

Am I the only one hoping for The Semantic Apocalypse? Anything that makes transhumanists balk at their own agenda is good fun - plus a book about people fucking with their minds & bodies would be very Bakker-ish.

I'd personally consider it a prequel to the fantasies anyway, even if the Inchies aren't really derived from human males as their base.

See that's what makes me think this whole thing Is a joke.

Has anyone seen the reviews on Grimdark magazine's website? They give books a rating with a bunch of "Lord Grimdarks" instead of stars. You should see it for yourself, here is the review of Prince of Thorns, which got 5/5.

You guys have likely figured it out already, but it's not a joke. Far from it, actually. In fact, I'm the guy who wrote that Prince of Thorns review that you linked (thanks for that, by the way), and I have a review contribution coming up in Issue #2 alongside Bakker (so excited to be given that oppotunity), and I know the editor of the magazine in person, so yeah, it's not a joke at all. And the plastering of Abercrombie's melon on the review is just a bit of the ol' fun. I mean, the world needs a grimdark magazine. Right?

I must say, though, that some of the responses in this thread are quite hiairlous (in a good way!) I hope you enjoy the magazine issue and my review that'll be included in it.

- J

Bakker's new story will be published in Grimdark Magazine on January 1st! It will be part 1 of 2 with the second part due out in the next issue of Grimdark. Woohoo!

I for one, love Bakker. You should provide a link to the magazine.

i started a thread about the excerpt before--i hope this is not breaking forum rules! :(

You could probably have edited the original post in the other thread (that allows you to change the thread title) and then posted this update. Would be slightly better etiquette.

You could probably have edited the original post in the other thread (that allows you to change the thread title) and then posted this update. Would be slightly better etiquette.

i am sorry! do you think i should do that now, or is it too late? either way, i will remember, thank you!

I'd recommend marking this thread as 'contains spoilers' and changing the title to indicate that here is where people can discuss the story with spoilers. Then have the other thread be the one that's, well, whatever it is now.

I'd recommend marking this thread as 'contains spoilers' and changing the title to indicate that here is where people can discuss the story with spoilers. Then have the other thread be the one that's, well, whatever it is now.

i think the mods just killed the new thread, so this one is now morphed! thank you for pointing out that the title needed to change, i didn't know i could do that!

Archived