SPOILERS - The New Bakker Story (or the first half anyways)

bakkerfans

So is this a scam or not? I'm so confused.

No, they are just trying to drum up interest in the magazine by publishing a high-profile author (around here, that is); if you sign up, you'll get part 1 of the excerpt. The other commentary above is about par for course on any Bakker thread.

It's probaly my super pessimistic nature but this whole thing still feels off to me.

Nah, lots of sites and blogs do that to get people to subscribe to their newsletters, which is their best way of getting clicks and page views. It's all standard. I see nothing wrong with it in the least.

It would make more sense to publish the excerpt, and then ask people to register so they know when Parts 1 & 2 are available.

No, you want to give people added incentive. for instance with my upcoming Vegan Travel site we are putting together a e-book of recipes and using it as incentive to get people to sign up. I dont understand the objections.

No my objection is that I feel like if I sign up I'm not going to actually get said story. Like I said, super pessimistic about these things lately.

Would be a terrible way to run a business. You figure they must have paid Bakker for the excerpt. To not deliver it it people who signed up would destroy them.

No, they are just trying to drum up interest in the magazine by publishing a high-profile author (around here, that is); if you sign up, you'll get part 1 of the excerpt. The other commentary above is about par for course on any Bakker thread.

The first issue of Grimdark Magazine has a short story from a VERY high-profile author: Mark Lawrence. And it's set in his "Broken Empire" universe. Among the other stories, there is one by Adrian Tchaikovsky that takes place in Adrian's "Shadows of the Apt" universe.

No my objection is that I feel like if I sign up I'm not going to actually get said story. Like I said, super pessimistic about these things lately.

You obviously missed this article in the first issue: "Article: Grimdark is Here to Stay by Layla Cummins"

Archived