SPOILERS - The New Bakker Story (or the first half anyways)

bakkerfans

At least 3.5 grimdarks

I believe the magazine has established them as Lord Grimdarks.

Yeah I didn't assume that this was Scott's idea. He doesn't rank very high on the cynical marketeers list, most would agree ;)

Lol - indeed. If I guessed, I'd say that Bakker had a mostly completed Atrocity Tale sitting around - which, in a comment on Four Revelations, he mentions 20 G (twenty thousand) words of such a story - and that it happened to fit Grimdark Magazine's industry call for "Grimdark" authors.

Thus far I chalk up their minimal impact on the fact that despite high profile authors lending their names and works to the e-mag, Grimdark is a really novel kind of genre. As per reactions in this thread, some people couldn't believe this is a real thing but Grimdark, through the internet, seems to have collected enough cultural accruement (i.e. inside jokes, among other trappings) for the industry to think this e-mag could satisfy a real niche.

It's a shame they want to pay professional rates (though, I'm working to get something in there for March, so I'm grateful in that sense). I'm still holding onto hope that The Unveiled anthology will happen in some form (which contained the other story mentioned in this post, apparently).

Lol - indeed. If I guessed, I'd say that Bakker had a mostly completed Atrocity Tale sitting around - which, in a comment on Four Revelations, he mentions 20 G (twenty thousand) words of such a story - and that it happened to fit Grimdark Magazine's industry call for "Grimdark" authors.

Thus far I chalk up their minimal impact on the fact that despite high profile authors lending their names and works to the e-mag, Grimdark is a really novel kind of genre. As per reactions in this thread, some people couldn't believe this is a real thing but Grimdark, through the internet, seems to have collected enough cultural accruement (i.e. inside jokes, among other trappings) for the industry to think this e-mag could satisfy a real niche.

It's a shame they want to pay professional rates (though, I'm working to get something in there for March, so I'm grateful in that sense). I'm still holding onto hope that The Unveiled anthology will happen in some form (which contained the other story mentioned in this post, apparently).

20,000 words would translate to somewhere between 65-75 pages, so it does seem to be a fairly long short story then. More like one of GRRM's Dunk & Egg novellas.

:( i thought 20g was 20gigabytes

:( i thought 20g was 20gigabytes

Lol - 20g is a lot of text, MG :P.

Any chance that Bakker would eventually post this on his website like The False Sun once the magazine has had some time with it?

I doubt it. I'm not exactly sure how it works for real authors but as per regular submissions, reprint rights return to the author after a year, I believe?

Honestly, I'd rather he take down the Atrocity Tales, polish them up, and start getting them into published markets/work towards an anthology. Though, I don't know how much hold on Earwa-content his publishers have.

Hey, Madness. I noticed that Bakker mentioned on Three Seas forum that he had a an outline for a First Apocalypse standalone... Do you have any idea whether he’s still considering that or is it something that’s never going to happen due to the lack of sales?

Hey, Madness. I noticed that Bakker mentioned on Three Seas forum that he had a an outline for a First Apocalypse standalone... Do you have any idea whether he’s still considering that or is it something that’s never going to happen due to the lack of sales?

Bakker is lacking in sales?

Bakker is lacking in sales?

yep. Between his non earwa books doing very poorly and his earwa books only doing so so and being hurt by bad publishing he isn't making enough from books to be a full time author.

yep. Between his non earwa books doing very poorly and his earwa books only doing so so and being hurt by bad publishing he isn't making enough from books to be a full time author.

What the fuck? That's crazy! I thought for sure his Earwa books would be enough to make writing his full time profession. Could it be possible that he lives an extremely lavish lifestyle which makes the income target too high? I'd rather that be true than knowing a talent like Bakker's isn't being appreciated commercially. I realize very few fantasy/sci-fi authors will ever be wealthy, but surely the man deserves to be writing full-time.

Legend has it that by using ambiguous words like 'poor', certain posters have a strange habit of both being attached to an author and for some reason trying to put it down - thus telling other posters the author has poor sales when really they are just a regular mid lister in a market that fluctuates.

Ie, take the doom calling with a pinch of salt.

^^^^^That's a good point too

Even if this forum did have a lot of bad threads influenced by all that requires hate-inspired garbage in the past, I'd say it's equalled out by Bakker being just about the most acclaimed author talked about on here over the past couple of years. Either way, I think people do overestimate how much all that discussion impacted sales.

I don't know.....its a niche series, TSA. My wife reads bits and pieces of what I'm reading on my tablet while going to bed, the other night, she's like, "I bet that's some creepy shit your reading.". I was reading about the dream at the beginning of TTT, where Akka contacts Nautzera, and their in a dream at Dagliash(sp?) w/Mek. Anyhow, that's how she started ASOIAF, needless to say......I don't think she'll be picking up TSA anytime soon.

I didn't say Bakker had poor sales. I said his non earwa books sold poorly. And they have. He is otherwise a solid mid list author.

Why do you have to just not read the words I wrote? Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge truth even when it isn't palatable?

Why do you have to just not read the words I wrote? Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge truth even when it isn't palatable?

Uh, Worldborn men have not the heart for truth. Duh.

Where the fuck have you been all this time?

I didn't say Bakker had poor sales. I said his non earwa books sold poorly. And they have. He is otherwise a solid mid list author.

Why don't you like the salt?

Archived